When does recording "actually" start?

Discuss Push with other users.
luckymethod

When does recording "actually" start?

Post by luckymethod » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 am

Hello all, I'm a new user of both Ableton Live and Push 2 and I'm more than a little confused about when to start recording my loops.

Let's say I have a metronome on, sometimes I'm almost constantly surprised by the fact that counting 1 bar before I play never seem to sync with when Ableton actually starts recording. Same happens when I try stopping.

Is there a way to get some kind of visual cue? Is it machine lag what I'm experiencing or I'm just not understanding something fundamental about Ableton? Is there a video I should watch to "get it"?

jestermgee

Re: When does recording "actually" start?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:37 am

If you have a lot of audio delay or low latency caused by poor audio hardware or incorrect setup it could be that, could also be what you have set your record quantisation too especially if you are hitting a little late.

What you can try and also do is if you are in session mode and wanting to jam along and record clips, place the selection on an empty clip slot and just start jamming until you feel you nailed it, then just hold the Rec on Push and press NEW. That will insert a clip of what you were just playing (recorded in the background. Can be more useful than stopping and starting with countin all the time. I also have an overdub footswitch so I can just punch in and out on the fly to layer pieces.