Ableton Push 3 update

Discuss Push with other users.
chimp_spanner

Re: Ableton Push 3 update

Post by chimp_spanner » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:18 pm

My only gripes with the Push atm are;

* Browsing for presets is kinda long. There are no tags and it doesn't remember where you were in a list or what you last used. Should at least be an option (if it isn't already and I just missed it!)

* The buttons don't feel anywhere near as good as on my Mk3

* The pitch strip is kinda useless to me. It's super laggy to engage, and not terribly responsive.

Everything else is great though and I'd happily keep using it until it bit the dust!

ben1210

Post by ben1210 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:38 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:47 am
Push 4 has noe been cancelled too, I just found out. Who has some really forward thinking ideas for Push 5?
Same hardware but call it Pull?

Aleksandr_Sudin

Post by Aleksandr_Sudin » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Hi guys, I make a research about Push, in order to apply with it for UX designer position. Could you consider to take it please.
https://forms.gle/YptsXdxYLt3JZSPe7

MissAngie

Post by MissAngie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:39 pm

Hello everyone, in page 2 viewtopic.php?f=55&t=236615&start=15#p1767998, I had evoked the possibility for an advanced future Push left to the user to engage in complexity if it wishes it with 3 stages from the easiest to the most difficult (immense hurdles amplitude between).

1 - easy : ability to download of pre-existing Live / Push "scripts" (some containing artificial intelligence) created by the Maxforlive.com community
2 - medium : the Push user can write accessible scripts (idem Live, Push, AI) in a scripting language or with a simpler programming language.
3 - advanced : partial reprogramming of Push only, authorized by Ableton (let's imagine :wink:), to create new behaviours. Added some blanck buttons.

All this would contribute, if of course the user wishes it, to have, in addition to the customization, a variable dosage of operation more or less important from manual to automatic, apart from what is already programmed by Ableton, many links exist on internet about, here understood in the broad sense,
robotic process automation (RPA)

Below, an illustration that too could be accepted as relative to the semi-automatic part of the music composition I have just found, on this site (what is evoked is off-topic) : https://www.nice.com/rpa/rpa-guide/rpa- ... utomation/

Last Ableton Live for progressive psytrance, I hope for life.
I recommand the quite or hot pearls hunt in the https://www.psyshop.com CDs seller database (to plan aspirine).
"Less is more", motto of minimal art.

B4L

Post by B4L » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:29 am

MissAngie wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:39 pm
All this would contribute, if of course the user wishes it, to have, in addition to the customization, a variable dosage of operation more or less important from manual to automatic, apart from what is already programmed by Ableton, many links exist on internet about, here understood in the broad sense,
robotic process automation (RPA)
I think this should go in the Push 7 thread

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Trevbo wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:08 am
Love to see a standalone push 3, just have it use ableton native plugins and less tracks to save on cpu, when plugged into the computer you get full ABL obviously. For sure this is what ableton are developing.
Rather limiting and would only appeal to a small market, would also make the unit bigger, which again would be a hard sell, as some already say Push is too big now...
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Jeremy G

Post by Jeremy G » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:03 pm

Not to feed the fire, but Ableton is hiring a UX designer for the Push team:

https://www.ableton.com/en/jobs/apply/339241/
The Push team is working on developing the next generation of Push.
If they're hiring now, it could mean that we won't see a Push 3 before a long while.

(Damn. I fed the fire.)

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Whats the rush..... Push2 is perfectly capable, and still holds its own vs other pad controllers.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

J-Fly

Post by J-Fly » Tue May 11, 2021 6:45 pm

I think my prediction is going to hold true. Push 3 in 2025.

Double Tap

Post by Double Tap » Thu May 13, 2021 8:42 pm

Has no one mentioned MPE? I'm sure that would be the main new feature and a huge gamechanger.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Rather limiting and would only appeal to a small market, would also make the unit bigger, which again would be a hard sell, as some already say Push is too big now...
honestly this is the main thing that stops me using it more often. It's powerful, flexible, looks great, but it's big and heavy and mostly only feasible on a desk, when a lot of the time I just want to sit on the sofa or my bed or somewhere comfortable. So a Push mini wouldn't be a bad idea at all IMO

another hardware thing for Push 3 I think would be worth considering is some kind of battery support for the display. I hate using it on USB power because the display is so much dimmer, and me eyesight's not what it was in me old age. So I always end up dragging out the power supply too, which often means an extension lead too. Maybe we're getting close to the point where this might be able to be improved on USB-C bus power, especially in a smaller, lighter Push Mini (iOS compatible too while we're at it!) - bluetooth as well to avoid the USB lead too even better... those things would make a Push 3 upgrade worth it IMO. Probably be able to be cheaper too.

Just having the Push on my lap isn't really that comfortable flat I don't think. So I got myself a couple of laptop stands from office works, both under $30 AUD. One is a quite light cooling stand that is perfect size for the Push for putting it up on the right angle, but doesn't really fit a mouse, which I always end up needing, & and often a bluetooth keyboard too, so it ends up being more for on the desk. I also have a wooden laptop lap-table with a side surface perfect for mouse, and i can even sort of fit the iPad on it. It has metal legs that can fold out that I usually don't use, but being both wood and metal it's pretty heavy, so I end up with a pretty bulky weight on my lap, then USB wires hanging down, and by the time I get the Push, then stands, then EXT HD external HD for all the content because the Macbook air only has a 256 GB drive, I need a USB Hub, Ends up being a lot to drag out to the living room., so I usually don't.

saying all that, it may be partly related to the fact that there is SO much abundance of great tools around now, a lot of the time I'm just wanting to go through everything and listen to all the presets etc.

so one of my main problems is not being able to scroll through presets on VST/AUs -- I know this is a VERY old issue for several reasons, not least the plugin devs' implementation. But these days I think it's more pressing than ever. Just updating all the things I've had for years, most of all Reason and NI Komplete, between them alone it's a huge amount of content and I've barely scratched the surface. And clearly, as music tech has matured and business models have changed, everyone is promoting their constant supplies of new content as reasons to subscribe/upgrade etc. The very first thing it says in the Browsing page of the Push section of the manual is that it can be used to do everything without touching the computer. Well for going through content, this is really not true at all. After recently upgrading Reason to v11 (from v5), it's come a long way and they've fixed most of the problems I used to have with it, including making the rack VST/AU plugin, and in the faint hope they've worked this out by now between them I keep trying to MIDI or KEY map the up/down buttons on the interface of plugins, but it never works. Reason has the same problem itself, as well as in Live as a plugin.

But just in Live, I still haven't finished going through all the add-on Live Packs... some of them are even from Live 9

...and on that — being able to load the MIDI/Live clips that are used in Live packs for their previews when browsing would be great too. Some packs have quite a few really good clips, I don't know why they can't be treated the same in the browser as presets or drum loops, they can serve the same purpose. — oh and you can't drag them all to the same track at the same time together either to go through them as clips, you have to load them one at a time. Just loading up some interesting beats to get something playing then trying the different kits with them is one of the most basic things I tend to do to compare the sounds. Having to start from scratch making my own pattern in a kit I'm not sure I'll use is just a waste of time. I could just make up a template set, but just including the 'MIDI clips' folder when you press browse on a MIDI track would be better, and you could press shift to alternate between loading the kit with a Live Clip, or not.

Likewise, iPad + apps, which can easily be used in Live as a kind of sound module (Moog released all their apps free recently, for Bob's birthday, worth checking if they still are, Model 15 sounds AMAZING). I can send all kinds of MIDI, OSC, various other proprietary ways of connecting, but the first thing I always want to do is just quickly flip through the presets, so same problem again if I'm just using Push as my main controller.

But aside from the size and weight issue, a lot of these things would probably be software issues.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Forge. wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 pm

another hardware thing for Push 3 I think would be worth considering is some kind of battery support for the display. I hate using it on USB power because the display is so much dimmer, and me eyesight's not what it was in me old age. So I always end up dragging out the power supply too, which often means an extension lead too. Maybe we're getting close to the point where this might be able to be improved on USB-C bus power, especially in a smaller, lighter Push Mini (iOS compatible too while we're at it!) - bluetooth as well to avoid the USB lead too even better... those things would make a Push 3 upgrade worth it IMO. Probably be able to be cheaper too.

so one of my main problems is not being able to scroll through presets on VST/AUs --

Battery support would increase cost and weight, bluetooth would mean latency too.

VST3 presets can ve viewed and scrolled through via Push already they show up as .vstpreset files. (Some devs save these presets for you already, if not you just save them within Ableton - no need to rack them either.)

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:34 pm

If it was a smaller lighter unit just with a compartment for a couple of AAA batteries or something it would be ok, you wouldn’t need to put them in

Bluetooth is not too bad for MIDI, full bandwidth audio is the real latency problem, and why the whole music world hates Apple’s headphone port dick move.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:54 pm

Forge. wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:34 pm
and why the whole music world hates Apple’s headphone port dick move.
Apple Loves Your Money!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:55 am

I find it weird that people complain about dongles, when what I would like to see from Apple is more value for what you get.
$500 wheels for a 7K Mac Pro, that's where it gets dumb.

USB4/Thunderbolt is more than fast enough to be considered more or less PCI, I'm fine with a hub and a dongle for headphones if it means less chances of faulty connections on an expensive laptop out of warranty. I get it I suppose it's just the least of my concerns.