Changing Serum presets on Push

Discuss Push with other users.
chtamina

Changing Serum presets on Push

Post by chtamina » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Hello guys, so I've bought a push (1) and I'm trying to map the serum change presets function to the controller.

quoting steve from xfer:
You just need to assign the CC mode with a 1 (and what CC numbers you want) at the end of Serum.cfg
to get to Serum.cfg
OS X: (go to folder)
~/Library/Preferences/
Windows:
%APPDATA%\Roaming\Xfer\Serum
change the [0] as shown below to [1] and then enter the CC#'s you want in the 2 [X]'s following.
[0] enable/disable this section (1 for CC, 2 for NOTES)
[X][X] (increment / decrement CC for Preset Changes)
Since windows notepad change the default encoding of the Serum.cfg you'd better use Notepad++ to edit it (otherwise serum won't recognize it and will replace it).

Here comes the issue: I tried different CC or notes but it won't work.
I had some success with knobs that must be used anticlockwise but the presets skips too fast; did some test with pad (notes) but this cause preset skips while playing.

I took midi informations from here
http://i2.wp.com/julienbayle.net/wp-con ... omPush.png
or here http://flosaic.com/trash/MIDI.php

Anybody out there want to try this method and hit me up with a reply ?

thanks

noceur

Re: Changing Serum presets on Push

Post by noceur » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:23 pm

96 and 97 seem to be dedicated inc/dec CC #s. Any value above 63 for each will increment or decrement the preset respectively.
Would be great if program change could be implemented though :idea:

chtamina

Post by chtamina » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:06 pm

I enabled ableton push port 2 (user port) using this info:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/push-user-mode/
then mapped octave down(cc54)/octave up(cc55) to the presets change

[1] enable/disable this section (1 for CC, 2 for NOTES)
[54][55] (increment / decrement CC for Preset Changes)

Now if you press user than octave up/down it changes presets

login

Post by login » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:00 pm

A easy way to send program change is to use a Maxforlive device that does it and place it before the plug in, try this one: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... rd-control

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:49 pm

Posted this on the Xfer forum after figuring it out, party due to the post above. After digging through multiple threads and posts in multiple places online (Reddit, Ableton Forum, etc), I was able to accomplish my goal: Leave Push 2 in Push Mode (not User Mode) and still be able to increase and decrease Serum Presets without using absolute values (meaning that it doesn't matter how many folder or presets you may have, or how you have re-numbered or categorized them):

1) I found the SerumPrefs.json file, which on Mac OS is in the User>Library>Preferences folder, which is hidden.
2) I located the line that says: "Enable CCForRockers": 0,
3) I changed that to: "Enable CCForRockers": 1,
4) I then located the following lines:
"CCForRocker Preset +": -1,
"CCForRocker Preset -": -1,
5) I set these as follows:
"CCForRocker Preset +": 63,
"CCForRocker Preset -": 62,

^ These number map to the right and left buttons in the block with the Octave Up and Down. In Push Mode, the Octave Up and Down are lit up, but the right and left are not lit up. So they seem to not be in use.

I have found that for this to work, you have to have the Serum GUI shown, not be hidden. This probably has something to do with focus on Serum in Ableton Live 11.

Bonus, I also created a Live Rack that maps the first 4 Macros to Serum patch macros. I then set up a Hot Key for Option+R mapped to the Rack parameter randomize options in Live 11. So this now gives me a bunch of quick ways to go through Serum Presets (using the Push buttons) and then randomize the Serum patch macros quickly.

I realize many of you are probably aware of this info. Just wanted to post my learning for folks who are new to all of this and may have a specific requirement with Ableton Push 2 and Serum.