Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
Sarrova-Q

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by Sarrova-Q » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:44 am

NICE! Thank you very much for testing and replying, appreciate it!

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:57 pm

PHEW

That was a borderline dealbreaker for me.
It works, fine and WITHOUT rack (that urban legend was nice btw)
It came from a certified Ableton trainer, which is why I was concerned.

Thanks for testing :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:03 pm

I believe the Rack aspect is for Saving and Recalling vsts.

Yeah, you can configure it outside of a rack, but if you were to load up the same vst, you'd have to do Configure all over again.

Within a Rack however, you can save the Rack, recall it (from the controller!!), and then, it was easy to accidentally assume you were limited to the 8 macros. But, if you jump into the Rack, it sounds like you'll have all your configure controls at your disposal every single time :D

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I believe the Rack aspect is for Saving and Recalling vsts.

Yeah, you can configure it outside of a rack, but if you were to load up the same vst, you'd have to do Configure all over again.

Within a Rack however, you can save the Rack, recall it (from the controller!!), and then, it was easy to accidentally assume you were limited to the 8 macros. But, if you jump into the Rack, it sounds like you'll have all your configure controls at your disposal every single time :D

The live API provides the way to load a vst (any plugins) directly as you create any instruments.
BUT, it isn't the current behavior in the push' scripts
Posting something on my blog tonight about that

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I'd add something.
Personally, I'm using a lot VST from NI.
Those (but not only them, but not ALL existing VST of course) can be setup using Program Change.

I'm more comfortable using my own banks (loaded one time, and append with new presets) and use Program Change in clips, than loading 50 chains in a rack with the same VST in each chain with one different preset each time.
I'm talking about live conditions.
Indeed, in studio, that's different.

But it is definitively a question of taste and habits.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:53 pm

But, if you jump into the Rack, it sounds like you'll have all your configure controls at your disposal every single time
This is what I started back in Live 8 so I could keep all my most frequently used VSTs in a single folder in my library, and was hoping I would be able to use all the items I had Configured even though they are not Macro'd.

This is what I do now with my APC40/MPK49, to pretty good effect, an d was hoping to be able to do with Push. The certified trainer specifically said that only macros would show up as controls, which definitely put a damper on my spirits.

Glad to hear that was not the case :D

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 pm

agent314 wrote:
But, if you jump into the Rack, it sounds like you'll have all your configure controls at your disposal every single time
This is what I started back in Live 8 so I could keep all my most frequently used VSTs in a single folder in my library, and was hoping I would be able to use all the items I had Configured even though they are not Macro'd.

This is what I do now with my APC40/MPK49, to pretty good effect, an d was hoping to be able to do with Push. The certified trainer specifically said that only macros would show up as controls, which definitely put a damper on my spirits.

Glad to hear that was not the case :D
I'm continueing to explore and there is also some ways with that python scripts to display also the category "Plug-ins" that (at least) would let us to create a plugin device. BUT not being able to scroll even in the bank list wouldn't be really useful so...

I hope we'll have more tools to do that soon..

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:22 am

How do you control Track Record Arming using PUSH ?

I've just read the PUSH section of the Live9 user guide, I've kept pace with this thread and I've watched many of the video's available and I don't think I've seen any way to see the status of or enable/disable the Track Record ARM ?

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:32 am

Blurr wrote:How do you control Track Record Arming using PUSH ?

I've just read the PUSH section of the Live9 user guide, I've kept pace with this thread and I've watched many of the video's available and I don't think I've seen any way to see the status of or enable/disable the Track Record ARM ?
As soon as you select a track, it is "implicit armed"
I still didn't even try to arm a track on another way with Push.

implicit arm is a new property of the Live Object Model too in M4L.
a track implicitly armed as its arm button not RED but a kind of PINK (light red actually)

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:48 am

julienb wrote:
Blurr wrote:How do you control Track Record Arming using PUSH ?

As soon as you select a track, it is "implicit armed"
I still didn't even try to arm a track on another way with Push.

implicit arm is a new property of the Live Object Model too in M4L.
a track implicitly armed as its arm button not RED but a kind of PINK (light red actually)
I did recognize that some type of auto arm was at work but wasn't sure how to refer to it. I also mostly like what I've been able understand in the new workflow. The development of PUSH has obviously caused a significant rethink of how to get your hands and eye's off the computer.

Sounds like my mouse or an APC might me required if I want to ARM multiple tracks ? It's not that big a deal I suppose. I probably wouldn't have to learn too much python to add my own track ARMs - I think "Shift-Stop" should is free ;-)

pistacchio

Post by pistacchio » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Question about workflow.
Suppose that I'm working on a certain scene and I want to move the song forward.

1) Can I clone the whole scene to a new one to start working on a variation of it?

In the new scene, I want to add a new instrument (for example, a counter melody to my lead). The new instrument steals some sound space to the main lead that hence I want to eq someway, or pan away or lower its volume. I just want this in the new scene, since applying a global volume reduction would make it less prominent in the whole song, even in the scenes where it's the only instrument.

2) What is the way to handle this in a pure-Push workflow?

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:49 pm

pistacchio wrote:Question about workflow.
Suppose that I'm working on a certain scene and I want to move the song forward.

1) Can I clone the whole scene to a new one to start working on a variation of it?

In the new scene, I want to add a new instrument (for example, a counter melody to my lead). The new instrument steals some sound space to the main lead that hence I want to eq someway, or pan away or lower its volume. I just want this in the new scene, since applying a global volume reduction would make it less prominent in the whole song, even in the scenes where it's the only instrument.

2) What is the way to handle this in a pure-Push workflow?
1) afaik, the best way is to use capture & insert scene in order to copy all your current playing clip in a new scene (the new playing clips are the one in the new scene)

2) I can check it in few hours for you.
Pushing Duplicate duplicates the material we are currently working on ... just have to check it "really" duplicate the whole scene into a new one. We can do that using the API (duplicate a scene) so we should be able to do that using Remote scripts (I mean Push) ..

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi Guys,

It appears I have surpassed the character limit for the first post (I'm so proud). So here's another round of questions answered. Sorry for delays and missed questions, lots of improvements in progress.
Does Live / Push actually support the touch-sensitivity of the encoders in any useful manner for recording overdubbing parameter automation? I.e., when touch begins, start recording that specific parameter, when touch ends, stop recording, go back to playing automation?
Yes, touch is taken into account, how you describe it is how it works.
Does Push support 14bit MIDI CC#?
No, but your wish is noted (very well described from the beta forums, thanks Banned).
Does Live / Push support using the [Shift] button and/or modifier key for fine-tuning?
No, but your wish is noted.
Does the Push device receive updates for its display with track / clip / device / parameter names and parameter values in human readable format every time they are changed either on Push or in Live, e.g. by dragging their order around, deleting, moving, renaming, etc.?
Yes, with the exception of renaming Macros and re-ordering VSTs. You need to switch to another device and back at the moment to show the new ordering. Filed.
Can the buttons with different quantization settings (1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc) also be used to set the resolution of the controls to adjust a clip loop length?
Since Push has it's own destructive Swing, how does it appear in the software? In other words, can I look at the software and tell "if" and "how much" Swing from Push has been applied to a pad?
You can only see it on Push - it is a destructive form of per-pad quantization that is similar to how classic MPCs work, but different from Groove (which affects an entire clip non-destructively, not a single pad)
Will the "record and loop the last 2/4/8 bars" work with audio as well, or is that exclusively MIDI?
It works for audio too.
I know drum kits can be loaded through the browsing mechanism; can I browse and replace individual samples the same way?
Yes. In device mode, you can select the kit, or select the pad, then browse.
Does browsing synths support the new Live 9 synth preview?
No. Your wish is noted.
How many simultaneous notes can I play?
From Push, 64, but this very much depends on the instrument voices and your CPU.
Do all of the function keys (non pads) send generic midi as well?
Yes.
When drilled down and selecting kits / synths, use the touch strip to scroll for faster/finer control and getting my fat fingers out of the way
Your wish is noted.
Screensaver / info mode like the Korg Kaoss series using all the pretty lights to scroll a banner for the crowd
Your wish is noted.
Use a knob or the touchstrip to change clip colors?
Your wish is noted.
Uber Keyboard mode. Assign pads to computer keyboard. I'm selling my APC40 and Launchpad, why not get rid of my computer keyboard too? Sure you've renamed a track, but have you renamed a track with 127 LEVELS OF VELOCITY?
Your wish is noted, but unlikely ;)
Is sampling/chopping on the fly and assigning to a Pad using only the controller something that is being pursued? If so, how high a priority is it?
I can't comment about what is or isn't coming in the future.
will you be able to us the push as a monome?
I'd bet there is a Monome emulator for Push already as I write this, but can't confirm.
Can anyone explain me how the color coding will work for clip launching ?
Clip colors are reflected on Push to the best of the RGB LEDs ability. Playing clips pulse green, recording clips pulse red.
Is it VERY bright ? (can it be used when gigging outside, under the sun ?)

It's bright, brighter with the adaptor -- but all LEDs suffer in sunlight. I'd try it out first to make sure it meets your needs.
As of right now in order for push you can't load a drum rack that has been nested into an instrument rack.
can you comment on if this is the way it will stay?

I can't comment, but your wish is noted.
I really like that the Push can change intervals intervals in 5ths would be awesome

Your wish is noted.
Can VST Plug in Effects be loaded and controlled in the effect section of Push?

They need to be contained in a rack to be loaded, but all parameters are available once you configure them.
I haven't seen any indication that the drum rack sequencer in Push is responsive to the velocity that you hit the pads with. I know there's an accent button and you can edit velocities after entry with the knob but seeing as the pads are velocity sensitive, wouldn't it make sense to allow the sequencer step pads to velocities based on how hard you hit the key?

It would be very cool in some cases, not as cool in others, but your wish is noted.
when you use push will you be able to see the wav file displayed on the lcd screen then use the knobs to move the warp markers or transients?? or move the markers in the drum rack?

No, it is only a character display, not graphical.
I have Push pre-ordered. Will my MIDI controller be able to plug into the push, thereby saving a USB Port?

No, there are no MIDI ports and no USB hub on Push.
Have Push the 'push' option on the knob? It's very useful when you want to set a parameter back to the original value, i missed it in the Akai Apc 40, the knob should have the ability of being pushed and return the value to 'zero', like the 'gain-push-knob' on the Kontrol S4"

Your wish is noted.
Is it possible to open and close plugin GUIs with Push ?

No. Your wish is noted.
How about switching the pad bank of the drum rack , eg first 16 samples, next etc ?

You can switch with either the touch strip or the octave up/down buttons.
Can you copy and paste / move Sample of the Drumrack using Push ?

Can I clone the whole scene to a new one to start working on a variation of it?

Yes, with the Duplicate button (which works like capture and insert scene. New works the same way, except it stops and doesn't copy the clip on the current track.
In the new scene, I want to add a new instrument (for example, a counter melody to my lead). The new instrument steals some sound space to the main lead that hence I want to eq someway, or pan away or lower its volume. I just want this in the newscene, since applying a global volume reduction would make it less prominent in the whole song, even in the scenes where it's the only instrument. What is the way to handle this in a pure-Push workflow?

I suppose recording automation into that clip would be the best way.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanks for the new replies Jesse. Congratulations on surpassing the character limit in your first Q&A post too!
I am really looking forward to getting Push when it becomes available in Australia, I think it will be a brilliant piece of kit, so much so that a lot of us will wonder how we ever managed without it (and Push surely will only get better with time/firmware updates etc)
I know you probably can't (as opposed to won't) comment on delivery dates etc (?) but it would be nice if Ableton/Akai could give some sort of official statement to help appease the slathering masses (if we can be appeased)!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

nennmichwieduwillst

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:03 am

thx for the answers and all "yuor wish is noted";) --- will u really do it;)

serious qeustion:

is a combined, simultaniously midi AND factory mode possible? and if, is it possibly that in some modi, some elements has midi-functions and in some modi the default factory function?
for example: in "clip" mode, the stop-buttons are complet useless for me (i will lost my clip-legato) and i want them as eg mute buttons directly. so can i midify them in only this mode, and in the other modi they holds there factory-function?

and a second qustion:
i hope hanz petrov will do his excellent work, so that we have SOME midi-modes, not only one.