Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
fishmonkey

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by fishmonkey » Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 pm

ramona falls wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm
Does the Push2 offer control over Split Stereo Pan (two knobs per track)
or does it only work with the default Pan control (one knob per track)
?
Thanks very much!
- Brent
yes, in Track Mix mode you get individual pan pots for the L and R channels...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

grenzfrequence

Post by grenzfrequence » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:03 pm

I like to move scenes and tracks in session mode of push. Is that possible?

Japie

Post by Japie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Quick question here since I gather it will be rather simple to answer.

I am considering buying a Push, however I use a prefer a midi keyboard for playing any instruments other than drums. Can I use Push to arm tracks, record clips, editing parameters and DAW control in general while using my midi keyboard for playing the actual notes? Without switching between the two, i.e. can I edit the cutoff of a filter with Push while playing on my midi keyboard?

jigsaw-neil

Post by jigsaw-neil » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Japie wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:05 pm
Quick question here since I gather it will be rather simple to answer.

I am considering buying a Push, however I use a prefer a midi keyboard for playing any instruments other than drums. Can I use Push to arm tracks, record clips, editing parameters and DAW control in general while using my midi keyboard for playing the actual notes? Without switching between the two, i.e. can I edit the cutoff of a filter with Push while playing on my midi keyboard?
Absolutely, you can modify knobs while playing with a MIDI keyboard. With some midi controllers you can also map the controllers on the knobs to do the same as those on the push moving them closer to your hands. You can also play notes on both the push and your keyboard at the same time, although not necessarily on different tracks.

jigsaw-neil

Post by jigsaw-neil » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:47 pm

grenzfrequence wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:03 pm
I like to move scenes and tracks in session mode of push. Is that possible?
Is this possible? It's one thing I keep having to reach to my Laptop for.

spacebyrdz

Post by spacebyrdz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:19 pm

Hello,
Does anyone know if you can set push 2 to record drums to adaptive grid narrowest?

spacebyrdz

Post by spacebyrdz » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Hello,
Can you set Push to Adaptive Beat Grid Narrowest?

Nerveworm

Post by Nerveworm » Sat May 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi,

I plan to use Push and my other MIDI controllers in tandem for a live performance. It seems there are basically 3 ways to do this and Push allows you to hybridize these methods. Which method do you think is most impressive? What sort of combination work best for my plans?

1. The Reggie Watts method - Add elements one at a time and build a composition live. This seems limiting compositionally but impressive to an audience.

2. The Mad Zach/Clockwerk method - Play Push like a drum kit after meticulous cell/sample preparation. This is more free and open as far as the composition but difficult when it comes to anything polyphonic or "playable". This ignores all of the modern and unique features of Push which bugs me. It is less suitable for tighter music (the Push pads are frankly not the most reliable - most of the played drums sound a little off in these types of performances).

3. The "DJ" method - Launch clips and scenes in session mode and adjust parameters. This is probably the easiest method but not terribly impressive to an audience. With additional keyboards this might be a winner.

Artist like Sakura Tsuruta have successfully been able to hybridize these methods. This is cool but risky. There is a lot of room for error and it doesn't leave much room for improvising. What if a pad is skipped or the pitch/mod gets stuck or there is some sort of quantization error? It could ruin the whole performance.

What methods do ya'll use? Thanks!

seb_rattansen

Post by seb_rattansen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 pm

Hopefully people still read this thread :D

I'm a relatively new Push 2 user.

I have made a pattern on a drum rack and I want to know if there is a way to copy that pattern to another drum pad. So for example I have made a pattern of hihats in the hihat pad -- I want to copy/duplicate that pattern to the maracas on another drum pad. I can't see anyway to do this. Is it possible?

Thanks!

lou5ive

Post by lou5ive » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:27 am

I’m looking to add Something to the arsenal I have the Maschine mk3 and push one , is the push 2 a no brainer ? I was looking at the Maschine studio which works well in Ableton , so If having the push 1 ;Where can I go from here, I use the hardware and computer For numerous of things so switching from hardware to computer isn’t a issue %