Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: Ableton Push QA

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks Jesse for all the answers. I noticed you copied a couple of my questions from another post. Hopefully you can get to these too:

-How do you control drum rack sends from Push? Is it a quick button combo? And how to control the return devices too.
-How do you expand group tracks, is it very quick?
-Is there any sequencing of regular midi tracks? Or just drum rack tracks?
-Would it be possible to control a device on one track while the drum rack note mode is up for another track? (ie. knobs for one track and pads for another). Can devices be locked to the control surface from the hardware?
-Will it be possible to have the buttom left pads are drum rack triggers while the top 4 rows stay as clip launchers (instead of sequence steps)
-This may be more of a M4L question but will the parameter names show up on the Push display for Max for Live devices that have parameters mapped from other live devices? Currently I think the names are passed on, at least not in touchable on the ipad.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:06 pm

soultwist wrote:
willdahbe wrote:Will it be possible to press a clip on Push with midi or audio data and duplicate it to another by pressing on a vacant pad? Not entirely clear if this has been answered yet, but will it be possible to adjust the envelop, filter, and volume settings for individual cells in Drumrack? For example, press on a pad in sequencer mode, adsr and other settings pop up on display to edit, press another pad and it's parameters populate Push's display.
Ahh.. Yes, please. Also very interested in the answer to this.
+1

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: -This may be more of a M4L question but will the parameter names show up on the Push display for Max for Live devices that have parameters mapped from other live devices? Currently I think the names are passed on, at least not in touchable on the ipad.
You can't dynamically change the value of a short.name of an object in M4L therefore you are stuck reading the originally coded description... Maybe this will change with Live 9 but i doubt it, it would become very unstable (happy to eat my own words)

Cheers
D

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi Guys,
Hello from Akai Pro offices. Working with their engineers on Push today here in Rhode Island. It's coming along great.

I answered as much as I could for the moment, keep the questions coming.
Jesse

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 pm

All I can say is WOW. Give this man a raise!!!!!

Why does Ableton not address the users questions in this fashion more often?

This is such an efficient way of doing it. I have had about enough of pointless speculation that is found in all the other Push threads that only contribute to the confusion and cause people to start acting irrational. Not to mention all the trolls that it brings out.

Big up for you sir, look forward to seeing you on the forum more often.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Bizon wrote:Why does Ableton not address the users questions in this fashion more often?
Call me cynical but this will be short lived and they'll likely be back to silence like it was before Live9 was announced. It's no different than Akai developers who hung around the MPC forums briefly right when the Ren was announced and disappeared again. It's pretty common actually. Devs hang around answering questions right after a launch of a product to try to maintain the hype and direct the course of public opinion. But I hope I'm wrong this time! :mrgreen:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:49 pm

funken wrote:yeah, will put up a link to this thread
why don't you just put it in your sig that you'll link to anything you think is remotely relevant? it will save you the trouble of typing it in every thread that has a sliver of useful information you haven't already posted in.

seriously man. :| you're like a bar code; your information is all over everyone's everything but useless past the point of a checkout.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 am

S4racen wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote: -This may be more of a M4L question but will the parameter names show up on the Push display for Max for Live devices that have parameters mapped from other live devices? Currently I think the names are passed on, at least not in touchable on the ipad.
You can't dynamically change the value of a short.name of an object in M4L therefore you are stuck reading the originally coded description... Maybe this will change with Live 9 but i doubt it, it would become very unstable (happy to eat my own words)

Cheers
D
It's really unfortunate if it stays this way, since they didn't add more macros to racks, so M4L is the best way to do macro devices. Not only for more than 8 macros but also for other cool functionality like morphing parameter presets and mapping stores with clips (like Hoffman2K's clip mapper etc.). It's such a shame for these rack like devices to not show the parameter names in a display like in touchable or Push, but instead show generic names like knob1, knob2 or whatever.
Professional Shark Jumper.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 am

Quote:
Is Push's browsing only limited to Ableton devices and instruments - or will some means be provided to enter 3rd party plug-ins and presets into the library so that they are able to be browsed and loaded from the hardware?

Push is primarily focused to work with Ableton devices, it's what we have the most control over and the most knowledge of. With Live devices, we try to have the 8 macros laid out in a consistent way -- so you almost always know which encoder to grab for filter frequency or resonance, etc. With VSTs, we currently can't access parameters in an automatic and consistent way, as we can with our own devices, so you would be left with a way to load a VST, but not control it automatically. The workaround, for the moment, is to save a VST into an Ableton rack, with parameters laid out as you'd like. Push both sees these presets in it's browser, and automatically maps to the device controls. The wish for more automatic control of VSTs is noted though.

Just to confirm.....let's say you save a VST to a rack and save that rack to one of your "Places". Will the Push browser be able to see your "Places" and the folders within then?

On a separate, but somewhat related question, there is mention of the browser search function finding, for example, bass sounds, so long as those sounds are contained in folders named "bass". I am not sure I fully understand. For those of us that pretty much live out of the "user folders" (places) we have built, do we need to optimize our current folder structures to better work with browser searching and Push browsing? If so, any guidance or tips?

Thank you!
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 am

While I am thinking about it.....one more question along those lines.....

On Push, when browsing for say, drum kits, can you sort them by highest rated? Lets say I want to see the five kits I use the most at the very top of the list from the hardware, is that possible?

Thank you.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:28 am

With Push, will it be possible to select a drum rack cell by pressing a pad on push, and then turn a knob to scroll through different drum samples within a folder to choose which drum sample is assigned to that drum cell? Basically, this would do away with spending time making "128s" and would let the user quickly setup drum racks.

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 am

Jesse wrote:Hi Guys,
Hello from Akai Pro offices. Working with their engineers on Push today here in Rhode Island. It's coming along great.

I answered as much as I could for the moment, keep the questions coming.
Jesse
Hi,
I was wondering if push allows for more than on user at any given time? What I mean by this is that when working in a live situation, it would be good to be able to have 1 person launching clips, and one person focusing on live modulation with push.
Currently as soon as a clip is launched, the focus changes, and controller encoders switch. We use an APC40 and APC20 currently.
Will it be possible to "lock" pushes focus, or have pushes focus change independently (if set as such) to clip launches?

Cheers
D

PS of course then you could run more than one push...!!! :D
Last edited by dixie237 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:54 am

how does Push handle 3/4 and 6/8 time signatures with that pad arrangement?

Monchai

Post by Monchai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 pm

What is the size of Push drum/control pad? Is the pad layout kinda close to each other will affect on playing drum. How does it compare to the pad spacing with Launchpad's pad? (in term of finger space). Love the MPC style pad space, alot of fun. Not sure if Push can deliver that kinda playability. So anyone can share some info would be great, thanks.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:58 pm

funken wrote:
H20nly wrote:...
My one line post was obviously to the OP. Over 600 viewers so far have visited my humble page on Live 9/Push, mainly coming from Facebook, Gearslutz, KVR etc, quite a few messages of thanks for putting all the official Ableton stuff (and officially sanctioned stuff) I can find on Live 9 and Push in one page for people. Not everyone is a regular on this forum. I like to think I'm helping the cause in my own small way. Now, back to the thread. Please don't anyone reply to this post as I will not reply, not wanting to distract the thread any further.

you can say you don't want to distract, but you distract every thread with your self/site promotion. even in your reply to me, which you're trying to act as though you're being humble about by making the font small, you've put in more stats about your webpage. if so many people from so many places are viewing your pages then why do you need to chime in to every half way serious thread on this forum to say that you've linked it? just because you're being a parasite at all those forums too... doesn't mean that we need constant status reports about the statistic you've gleaned. this is the Ableton forum not your personal ad space for click farming. you're a bot, with just a little more personality...