Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
skatr2

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 pm

I imagine so. Not particularly sure where the downside is here. They provide a system that works almost entirely by itself to use ableton with functions most of us were pissed weren't default in an APC40 as well as self programable user modes to add your own personal style. Yet people are now finding fault with the main mode being too specific. Can't please everyone, but personally I am content with alot of the basic functions of this unit that I have seen.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:05 pm

cyclicAMP wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before (and/or answered).

When recording session automation in Push, can the clip envelope be unlinked to allow the duration of the automation to be longer then the clip length itself?
I think they said earlier that this is not possible at this time.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:32 pm

skatr2 wrote:Its been a while since I used an APC, but I thought outside of user modes, the only things you could remap via midi were the pots, buttons around the pots, and the faders. The track selection buttons weren't remapable outside of changing the python script. So essentially the same functionality. In User-mode, I imagine you would be able to remap the whole controller to your heart's desire.
You can remap anything on the APC40.. there are certain things that you obviously wouldn't want to remamp like the shift button, track select, etc but it is still possible to over ride any of the controls that you wish..

So for Push to be an awesome performance controller I would want to keep all default functionality yet re-map/override certain functions like Add Track, Duplicate, Metronome, etc..

Oh yeah but it guess they'll probably tell me it is NOT a performance controller, it is for making music... :roll:

Kind of a bummer but I hope that changes with future updates to Live 9

and FWIW there is no User Mode on the APC40 unless you are using some kind of hacked python script or something of that nature

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:25 pm

TYLRbass wrote:
skatr2 wrote:Its been a while since I used an APC, but I thought outside of user modes, the only things you could remap via midi were the pots, buttons around the pots, and the faders. The track selection buttons weren't remapable outside of changing the python script. So essentially the same functionality. In User-mode, I imagine you would be able to remap the whole controller to your heart's desire.
You can remap anything on the APC40.. there are certain things that you obviously wouldn't want to remamp like the shift button, track select, etc but it is still possible to over ride any of the controls that you wish..

So for Push to be an awesome performance controller I would want to keep all default functionality yet re-map/override certain functions like Add Track, Duplicate, Metronome, etc..

Oh yeah but it guess they'll probably tell me it is NOT a performance controller, it is for making music... :roll:

Kind of a bummer but I hope that changes with future updates to Live 9

and FWIW there is no User Mode on the APC40 unless you are using some kind of hacked python script or something of that nature

lol thats exactly what they said it was for though. It incorporates all the things that most of us who make music more than perform have been clamoring for....a controller that actually works like ableton does. Its not made to replace the APC...its made to supplement music making.

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:28 pm

flocked wrote: I would have loved to see the possibility to get control of pushs 8x8 grid, if my push m4l patch gets selected/highlighted. This would allow so many possibilities!
Precisely this is possible with Max for Live, it is explicitly mentioned in the M4L documentation, and they added specific functions just for the Push to be able to do this - grab and release control of different parts of Push independently.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:19 pm

flocked wrote: Yes, if I understand julienb right, its either the default functions without any m4l control or the user mode without any of the default functions but with full control… Really sad :/

i have expressly been told the opposite. I quote: "

* Find the Push in the control_surfaces list
* Find its button matrix control
* Issue a "grab" message

When you do that the pads go black and it all submits to your control. This is outside of user mode. You can basically create a patch that says "okay, if the user has a Push, and my Max device is focussed by the Blue Hand, then grab the button matrix and completely change what it does."

"

flocked

Post by flocked » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:23 am

lo.key wrote: i have expressly been told the opposite. I quote: "

* Find the Push in the control_surfaces list
* Find its button matrix control
* Issue a "grab" message

When you do that the pads go black and it all submits to your control. This is outside of user mode. You can basically create a patch that says "okay, if the user has a Push, and my Max device is focussed by the Blue Hand, then grab the button matrix and completely change what it does."
"
Yes, it seems that you are right. I just checked the "Live Object Model Changes - Live 8 -> Live 9" document. Here is the quote:
LOMChanges wrote: Grab Control: Releases all Push functionality from the control so that it can be used exclusively from Max for Live.
Release Control: Re-establishes the Push functionality for the control
it seems to be possible. Which would be SO great :)

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 am

i wish abletons documentation folks would devote a little more effort to documenting the capabilities of their software ;p

but yes, i think we will see some powerful tools developed for this device!

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:47 am

flocked wrote:
TYLRbass wrote: So basically you can't remap and override certain functions the way you would on an APC40? it's either default functions or full on user mode but no combination of both?
Yes, if I understand julienb right, its either the default functions without any m4l control or the user mode without any of the default functions but with full control… Really sad :/

There are only two unrealistic "workarounds":
1. Rewrite all the functionality of Push in m4l for the user mode… Unlikely that you can do it… would take years, would have performance problems and you would always update it.
2. Learn python and modify the orignal scripts to add e.g. monome like sequencers. This would introduce many new problems. You would need to add a menu in Push to e.g. switch between the normal sequencer and a monome like sequencer…

I would have loved to see the possibility to get control of pushs 8x8 grid, if my push m4l patch gets selected/highlighted. This would allow so many possibilities!
Imagine a m4l beat repeater with a custom 8x8 interface. Now if you highlight the device/effect via push, the push automatically switches to the custom, m4l programmed control mode. And if you select another effect/device in the track, it automatically switches back to the normal 8x8 control mode (like the beat sequencer).

I had so many ideas. They are all shattered.
Keep the ideas coming, you don't need to re-code the Push script in Python -- what you were thinking is as we designed it, i.e. you can grab just a button, or the whole grid, or an encoder with M4L, without going to User Mode.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Jesse wrote:Keep the ideas coming, you don't need to re-code the Push script in Python -- what you were thinking is as we designed it, i.e. you can grab just a button, or the whole grid, or an encoder with M4L, without going to User Mode.
So aside from M4L hacking, there isn't any way to over ride the default functions with a simple MIDI map? You guys should keep that in mind for future updates.. like I said earlier, I may not need a metronome button and even in the studio (while creating music from scratch) I could see myself wanting to remap that to something else in my default template..

flocked

Post by flocked » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:29 pm

TYLRbass wrote:
Jesse wrote:Keep the ideas coming, you don't need to re-code the Push script in Python -- what you were thinking is as we designed it, i.e. you can grab just a button, or the whole grid, or an encoder with M4L, without going to User Mode.
So aside from M4L hacking, there isn't any way to over ride the default functions with a simple MIDI map? You guys should keep that in mind for future updates.. like I said earlier, I may not need a metronome button and even in the studio (while creating music from scratch) I could see myself wanting to remap that to something else in my default template..
You can use the user mode for it. It is a button on the Push. if you switch to it, you will have all the buttons and encoders midi mappable.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 pm

I believe what he is asking is, if you can have it in the standard use mode and remap one button that he doesn't plan on using. Similar to how the APC's buttons can be remapped if you turn Remote on in midi preferences.

Having to switch between modes doesn't sound like what he is asking for. Probably not as convenient :P

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:31 pm

again, user mode is not required to do this. Just remap the bugger.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:39 pm

flocked wrote:
TYLRbass wrote:
You can use the user mode for it. It is a button on the Push. if you switch to it, you will have all the buttons and encoders midi mappable.
My point is that I'd like to use the default functions minus a few buttons here and there for custom mappings.. so far it's one or the other which wouldn't work for me.. and the whole M4L thing would be cool but that will be a lot of work for a non-programmer like myself

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:07 pm

i dont understand what you're not grasping here. If you want to use a button for another purpose, you can just remap the button. It doesnt require m4l or user mode to do so.