Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
mst1228

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by mst1228 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Will Push be available for purchase directly from ableton.com? Some online retailers are beginning to offer the hardware for presale and estimate a delivery date of 2/10 - 2/17, do these dates line up with your production schedule? Is it safe to preorder from these retailers, or would I be better waiting until ableton.com has more purchasing info?

Thanks.

The Constructionist

Post by The Constructionist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:49 am

Just figured I would drop this little bit of info. I just Pre-ordered my Push through MusiciansFriend and they currently have a 15% off one item deal going!! Got it for $509 with free shipping. Figured that would be the best deal, since it looks like you have to buy the $599 version with Live intro, even if your a Suite 8/9 user, which is pretty standard like with the Maschine. Hopefully some people can make use of this deal and save a few. Peace
Last edited by The Constructionist on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pistacchioso

Post by pistacchioso » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 am

I'm going to buy Push as soon as it's available, but I didn't use any alternative so far, like Akai APC40 or Launchpad, so mine may sound like a bit generic questions.

My question is about the live usage of Push. Is it possible to set up a dynamic live environment where I switch fast between modes, so that I "play" Push as an instrument in a moment, than I go back launching clips, then I focus on an instrument to tweak its knobs, than I play again and so on?
Also, if I want to play live different "songs" or "tracks", is loading a new project the only solution? What if I want to blend tracks seamlessly? Thanks

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:05 am

pistacchioso wrote:I'm going to buy Push as soon as it's available, but I didn't use any alternative so far, like Akai APC40 or Launchpad, so mine may sound like a bit generic questions.

My question is about the live usage of Push. Is it possible to set up a dynamic live environment where I switch fast between modes, so that I "play" Push as an instrument in a moment, than I go back launching clips, then I focus on an instrument to tweak its knobs, than I play again and so on?
Also, if I want to play live different "songs" or "tracks", is loading a new project the only solution? What if I want to blend tracks seamlessly? Thanks
You can drag and drop entire live sets into your current set, so if you wanna do that, do that.
Also, I think that the answer is yes, you can do all that with Push. (seeing as the launchpad does basically that)
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Eventful wrote:You can drag and drop entire live sets with Push.
cool!

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Not sure if this has been asked yet but is it possible to select a drumrack pad so it can be edited with the encoders up top without sounding off the pad? I can do this with maschine by gently pressing the edge of a pad. I also hope the encoders are on par with those that maschine has.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 pm

All I know is that I have been avoiding this place to try and get a handle on my GAS problems and actually getting a real job kinda takes a ton of time away.

that said, I'm grabbing push day 1, so how much farther do we have!!

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:30 pm

how many digits do we have for parameter names?

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 pm

@ doc - according to the guitar centre website (not sure how much is hype) it's already there!
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ableton-Pus ... 2897935.gc

- edit: at guitar center they have a "Just Arrived" banner on their image of the Push... however (& I'm sure it wasn't there yesterday) - they have "Estimated arrival of Feb 10" How can something be "Just Arrived' ...but not just yet? LOL, talk about hype!
Music store websites in Australia are estimating beginning of February for our chance to get our hands on it, apparently Push will be released worldwide on the same date: Feb 10.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

Eventful

Re:

Post by Eventful » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 am

artpunk wrote:@ doc - according to the guitar centre website (not sure how much is hype) it's already there!
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ableton-Pus ... 2897935.gc

- edit: at guitar center they have a "Just Arrived" banner on their image of the Push... however (& I'm sure it wasn't there yesterday) - they have "Estimated arrival of Feb 10" How can something be "Just Arrived' ...but not just yet? LOL, talk about hype!
Music store websites in Australia are estimating beginning of February for our chance to get our hands on it, apparently Push will be released worldwide on the same date: Feb 10.

It means that they've been shipped, but they aren't selling them quote yet, (I presume until the contract with Ableton says they can.)
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

scientist

Post by scientist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 pm

What if i buy push via an upgrade path, then later decide to sell push but keep the upgrade? Does it come with a live intro serial even if i upgraded?

AbleAaron

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers - Live gigs

Post by AbleAaron » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:11 am

I've read the posts on the Push topic here, but some answers were too technical so here are my questions.

All questions relate to a live gig situation with other bandmates playing their own instruments.

Can I play a drum beat on the Push and after the beat is grooving, can I then let the beat keep playing and then seamlessly start playing other instruments and sounds on the Push which will layer on top of the original beat?

Is there latency I need to adjust on the fly? Can I adjust latency on the fly?

Will a macbook pro with 8gigs of RAM be sufficient (won't be running any other plug-ins or programs and all sound samples will be preset)? Do I need a solid state drive in the macbook (I read the Gotye installed a solid state drive inside their macbook pro for live gigs)?

Will switching between pad banks or making tempo/etc adjustments to the Push on the fly cause any stoppages to the sound or lag during a live gig?

THANKS!

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:44 am

Jesse wrote:
What is the 9th knob along the top?
Master Volume, or Cue volume if you hold shift.
- this sounds dangerous, master volume seems to be too easy to mess with accidentally, not to mention that (at least for me) cue volume is much more useful while browsing sounds, is there any possibility of reversing this behaviour? i.e. make the 9th knob act on cue volume "normally" and master volume with shift pressed, it sounds much safer and more useful

- does push have any button to change between session and arrange view ?

- i suppose for now push is mainly for session view operation but it would be great to have the option to use the touch strip to scrub along the arrangement when live is in arrangement view and push is not in device mode

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:11 am

BlackLotusLuke wrote:will the push be able to slice audio to midi, and assign warp markers on audio? therefore allowing one to chop samples without a mouse?
Nope.

"Slicing from the controller?
At the moment, no. But your wish is noted.

Is there any way to quickly duplicate pads on Drum Racks from the Push controller?
At the moment, no. But your wish is noted."
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186306

Live + Push will still be no match for Maschine when it comes to chopping samples with a mouseless hands-on workflow. Push doesn't even compare to Maschine in that department at all because you can't even slice from the Push controller, you can't see waveforms or slices on the Push's LCD, you can't duplicate pads from the Push controller...etc. Not to mention that Push also doesn't even automap to plugins and can't do step automation (Elektron-style step parameter locks), and would still force you to click around with a mouse for a lot of little things, like opening/closing plugin windows.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 am

Copy/paste emptysea.

Ableton these are a must for the Push launch. If only to put those Maschineheads in their place.

Out of interest humbnumb why is being able to see the waveform on the hardware so important when you have a massive monitor sitting right in front of you? Or do you sit with your controller in a different room? ;)