Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
Rdej

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by Rdej » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 pm

I have a better question, with NAMM out of the way why is there still no release date?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:33 pm

because it's not ready yet..

d.coder

Post by d.coder » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:38 pm

What is the physical resolution of the encoders, i.e. steps per 360°? And what is the software resolution for volume faders, device parameters and vst parameters, i.e. how many steps are possible? I hope more than 128, for fine tuning.
[/quote]
I'll get back to you on this.[/quote]

Hi Jesse,
any news about the resolution of the encoders?

Thanks for all your answers!

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Guys,
This thread is not dead, I'm just buried with NAMM and trying to get Push out the door. Will try to have answers soon from where I left off.
Jesse

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 am

Hey Jesse!

Nice, you're still there!! :-)

Anither one:

Will push handle devices bought as Packs from Ableton.com
In the same way it does with the instruments in the core library?

All the best, Philip

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Jesse wrote:Hi Guys,
This thread is not dead, I'm just buried with NAMM and trying to get Push out the door. Will try to have answers soon from where I left off.
Jesse
Thanks, I was wondering if any more questions would be answered. (Specifically mine huehuehue etc.)
I'm so excited. Also, is Guitar Center's release date accurate?

funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Guys,
I just updated the first page of this thread with some more answers.
Best,
Jesse

banned

Post by banned » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi Jesse, hope you enjoyed NAMM! :)

Here's a few Push related Q's for you, whenever you have some time:

- Does Live / Push actually support the touch-sensitivity of the encoders in any useful manner for recording overdubbing parameter automation? I.e., when touch begins, start recording that specific parameter, when touch ends, stop recording, go back to playing automation? So far, I have only seen references to (1) the ability to delete recorded automation for an individual parameter when touching the associated encoder, and (2) showing the name of a parameter associated with an encoder when touching it, but even on the various video demo's, I have seen nothing specifically related to touch-sensitivity and automation recording.

- If this is supported, then how does it exactly work? What MIDI events are used to indicate touch begin / end events for the individual encoders? Can it easily be mimicked by other controllers by tweaking the Push

- Does Push support 14bit MIDI CC#? It seriously should - a cheap BCR-2000 can already do this just fine. Otherwise it means Push can't really be used well enough to control great synths like the new Moog Sub Phatty accurately, which would of course be quite a shame. M4L patches are surely useful, but are definitely not good enough, if only because of the associated latency and lack of PDC for automation.

- Does Live / Push support using the [Shift] button and/or modifier key for fine-tuning? (Pretty much the same as above. If it doesn't support either one, the encoders aren't really that interesting at all, regardless of touch-sensitivity. It would be yet another too low-resolution encoder with too few knobs.)

- Does the Push device receive updates for its display with track / clip / device / parameter names and parameter values in human readable format every time they are changed either on Push or in Live, e.g. by dragging their order around, deleting, moving, renaming, etc.?

- Is there any mechanism in place to prevent 'flooding' with duplicative, and thus redundant MIDI events from being sent in either direction between Live / Push?

- Can the buttons with different quantization settings (1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc) also be used to set the resolution of the controls to adjust a clip loop length?

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:11 pm

Since Push has it's own destructive Swing, how does it appear in the software? In other words, can I look at the software and tell "if" and "how much" Swing from Push has been applied to a pad? I've seen a screenshot of a percentage in the upper left hand corner of the screen, but what exactly is that? Is that a global swing from Push? I'm kind of confused because in the videos I've seen of Push, each pad seems to have it's own independant amount of Swing.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 pm

Just to clarify, Push will be able to arm/solo/select tracks for audio recording (i.e. to record looping clips of myself playing guitar in realtime) similar to an APC/Launchpad, correct?

Will the "record and loop the last 2/4/8 bars" work with audio as well, or is that exclusively MIDI?

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:43 am

Jesse wrote:The detent-less encoders will provide 127 messages per 360deg rotation.
8O

i'm really surprised at that

i think at this level they should definitely be NRPN

i'll wait for version 2

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 am

The APC40 knobs are the same. Probably makes for more simple midi mapping.

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:54 am

agent314 wrote:Just to clarify, Push will be able to arm/solo/select tracks for audio recording (i.e. to record looping clips of myself playing guitar in realtime) similar to an APC/Launchpad, correct?

Will the "record and loop the last 2/4/8 bars" work with audio as well, or is that exclusively MIDI?
+1, I would like clarification on this.
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

dschroeter

Post by dschroeter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 am

Congrats to the Ableton team for nearing the 9/Push release and surviving NAMM!

Apologies in advance for the long post and for possibly repeating questions; this thread is getting long!

1) I know drum kits can be loaded through the browsing mechanism; can I browse and replace individual samples the same way?
2) Does browsing synths support the new Live 9 synth preview?
3) How many simultaneous notes can I play?
4) Do all of the function keys (non pads) send generic midi as well?

Requests:

1) A simple onboard way to assign the 4 4x4 sections: like all 64 pads triggering drums, or switching the loop length and drum pad sides, or a synth step sequence and loop length area, etc.
2) When drilled down and selecting kits / synths, use the touch strip to scroll for faster/finer control and getting my fat fingers out of the way
3) Screensaver / info mode like the Korg Kaoss series using all the pretty lights to scroll a banner for the crowd
4) Use a knob or the touchstrip to change clip colors?
5) Uber Keyboard mode. Assign pads to computer keyboard. I'm selling my APC40 and Launchpad, why not get rid of my computer keyboard too? Sure you've renamed a track, but have you renamed a track with 127 LEVELS OF VELOCITY?

Thanks all!

dschroeter

Post by dschroeter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Oh, and please make a universal iOS/Android/Win8 tablet app that duplicates all of the Push functionality.

Thanks in advance.