Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
panten

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by panten » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Is sampling/chopping on the fly and assigning to a Pad using only the controller something that is being pursued? If so, how high a priority is it?

banned

Post by banned » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:49 pm

sowhoso wrote:
Jesse wrote:The detent-less encoders will provide 127 messages per 360deg rotation.
[...]

i think at this level they should definitely be NRPN

i'll wait for version 2
Indeed, these specs are not very impressive at all, especially at the announced selling price. But I don't see what the (relatively poor) physical resolution of the encoders has to do with NRPN per se. Your statement "they should definitely be NRPN" doesn't make much sense. An encoder that can distinguish 127 steps per full rotation can still be used very well for 14bit MIDI messages such as NRPN. That's simply a matter of software (/ firmware); this would probably be handled in a MIDI Remote Script in Live. With proper acceleration, the encoders could at least provide somewhat decent support for NRPN without having to wait for any future v2 hardware with better specs.

Still, these poor specs and the apparent complete lack of support for high resolution control (14bit MIDI CC#, which is also used for (N)RPN) and fine tuning is certainly *very* disappointing. Indeed, so far, the functionality of entire encoder section on the Push does not impress me at all. It's quite a turn-off. :(

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:28 pm

^^^^

bottom line: Push does not have appropriate encoder resolution for a product on this level

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 pm

I suggest the capability of using a MIDI keyboard (e.g. AKAI LPK25) as a complementary control surface for push. Bigger keyboards could use keyboard splits to enhance capability.

(An example would be selecting devices on a track - redundant with Push, of course, but an example of use)

More relevant, one could use it to provide 2 finger chord selection as on an arranger (for starters, maj, min, dominant 7th) where a single key press would select the root, a second key could select character, and additional keys for more advanced chords... These could appear in the matrix with the roots highlighted (and maybe the 3rs, 5ths , 7ths different colors). (If key selection is added, one could also distinguish accidentals; the scale would appear when the fingers were lifted from the keyboard.)

misterhaywood

Post by misterhaywood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 am

will you be able to us the push as a monome?

rgrambo

Post by rgrambo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:52 pm

I think somewhere below it implies the ability to assign different sounds to each the four quadrants? Must be Able 2 do that. If not, its almost a dealbreaker. Which would suck cause I pre-ordered. (but dont tell anyone)

dschroeter wrote:Congrats to the Ableton team for nearing the 9/Push release and surviving NAMM!

Apologies in advance for the long post and for possibly repeating questions; this thread is getting long!

1) I know drum kits can be loaded through the browsing mechanism; can I browse and replace individual samples the same way?
2) Does browsing synths support the new Live 9 synth preview?
3) How many simultaneous notes can I play?
4) Do all of the function keys (non pads) send generic midi as well?

Requests:

1) A simple onboard way to assign the 4 4x4 sections: like all 64 pads triggering drums, or switching the loop length and drum pad sides, or a synth step sequence and loop length area, etc.
2) When drilled down and selecting kits / synths, use the touch strip to scroll for faster/finer control and getting my fat fingers out of the way
3) Screensaver / info mode like the Korg Kaoss series using all the pretty lights to scroll a banner for the crowd
4) Use a knob or the touchstrip to change clip colors?
5) Uber Keyboard mode. Assign pads to computer keyboard. I'm selling my APC40 and Launchpad, why not get rid of my computer keyboard too? Sure you've renamed a track, but have you renamed a track with 127 LEVELS OF VELOCITY?

Thanks all!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:26 am

Can anyone explain me how the color coding will work for clip launching ?

-Is it customizable ?
-What happen if i want a pad to trigger 2 or more different clips at the same time ?
-Are pads remapable ?
-Is it VERY bright ? (can it be used when gigging outside, under the sun ?)

(Asking before starting my own midibox controller, because i've always been unhappy with the 'official' products and their inability to be programmed (have to run a pretty messy max patch to have my 2 launchpads working as i want them to work). I always thought that musicians have their own workflow, and hardware should adapt to musicians, not the contrary.
thank you)
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Can anyone explain me how the color coding will work for clip launching ?
I have the same question.. I'm guessing since there is RGB support on the pads that the clip color will be reflected on the Push but from the demo videos i have seen it looks like they turn Green when playing just like the APC40 (even tho it is limited to green, amber, red and off)..

I feel like that may confuse me when I've got green clips.. unless it is a special shade of green or something like that..

EDIT: in this video it seems like they are pulsing.. I can't hear what he's saying because I don't have audio on this work computer..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO0GSDmHmMM
which i guess would be good enough for me.. unless i'm reaaaally impaired..

su-Y

Post by su-Y » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 pm

I have a couple of questions:

When will Push approximately ship? I am planning to preorder and moving to another country in the beginning of April ( I live in London currently ), and I would like to know would it be wise to order it to my current home adress.

Also, what about the cover/stand? As I understood it does not come with Push by default, so I wonder will it also be available to preorder on March 5

Thanks in advance!

Also, using the opportunity I would like to thank you for amazing communication with the community, this thread was very informative and interesting!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Can anyone explain me how the color coding will work for clip launching ?

-Is it customizable ?
-What happen if i want a pad to trigger 2 or more different clips at the same time ?
-Are pads remapable ?

(Asking before starting my own midibox controller, because i've always been unhappy with the 'official' products and their inability to be programmed (have to run a pretty messy max patch to have my 2 launchpads working as i want them to work). I always thought that musicians have their own workflow, and hardware should adapt to musicians, not the contrary.
thank you)
Yeah, it's baffling why Ableton seems to miss the boat on this every time with their "official" controllers. Anyway, it's already been answered in the first page of this thread:
"We do not currently have an editor, and notes can not be changed on Push."

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:11 am

humnumb wrote:

-Is it customizable ?
-Are pads remapable ?

thank you)
Yeah, it's baffling why Ableton seems to miss the boat on this every time with their "official" controllers. Anyway, it's already been answered in the first page of this thread:
"We do not currently have an editor, and notes can not be changed on Push."
Ok thanks... bye-bye akai, novation and all the ready-made-in-china-stuff.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Lye

Post by Lye » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 pm

I bought Live 8 Suite in order to get the Live 9 upgrade for free, but I don't see any option to buy push that does not include live 9 price. Is there any information on this?

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:49 am

What happened to the Push steel cover? I can't find it on the site anymore. Really hope it will be available on release.

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 am

Lye wrote:I bought Live 8 Suite in order to get the Live 9 upgrade for free, but I don't see any option to buy push that does not include live 9 price. Is there any information on this?
Me too... Interesting...

adh82

Post by adh82 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Same here!
Should there be an option to just buy push?