Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
unixgeek42

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by unixgeek42 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 pm

I am guessing you just go ahead and buy it. Anywhere. Without needing an 'upgrade option'.

Lye

Post by Lye » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:45 pm

-.- I was to understand that we would get a discount.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Lye wrote:-.- I was to understand that we would get a discount.
You can probably find a much better discount at a local store. They are giving a 50$ discount to people upgrading from live8 suite to l9suite+push, which would put it at 550$. Right now you can go pre-order on guitarcenter with a coupon for 510$, and presumably even lower whenever they put out a 20% off coupon

-edit
speaking of which, anyone ever deal with eastcoastmusic.com? They currently have the pre-order for 475

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:23 am

As of right now in order for push you can't load a drum rack that has been nested into an instrument rack.
can you comment on if this is the way it will stay?

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:20 pm

I really like that the Push can change intervals
intervals in 5ths would be awesome
a 4x4 style grid is what me and allot of other are used to playing
that are not keyboard players.
Chromatic and diatonic it places the notes in really nice positions
plus the root will always be in the same relative place

an instead of having all the redundant notes have the progression split
so the first 4 columns ascend in order to the top of the grid
the the next 4 columns continue and ascend in order to the top of the grid.

not only would this allow access to allot more notes at one time
it would be easy for users to create split racks in order to play multiple
instruments from one track.
This would be relatively huge in my opinion.

re8

Post by re8 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:You can probably find a much better discount at a local store. They are giving a 50$ discount to people upgrading from live8 suite to l9suite+push, which would put it at 550$. Right now you can go pre-order on guitarcenter with a coupon for 510$, and presumably even lower whenever they put out a 20% off coupon.
-edit
speaking of which, anyone ever deal with eastcoastmusic.com? They currently have the pre-order for 475
For many of us in USA, we'll be taxed on GuitarCenter.com's orders, so it will really be $550-ish with a 15% coupon. I saw a week or so ago eastcoastmusic.com had Push on pre-order for less than $450, but I was sketched out by their crappy website, listing 2 different phone numbers, & no call-back from leaving a message. So I took advanatage of ZZsounds price-matching. B)

Knowing how AKAI's drum pads wear out after real use, I would not pay $600. $500 seems OK, esp if you can sell off the Live Intro license. $450 split into 3 payments was a bargain.
chapelier fou wrote:-Is it VERY bright ? (can it be used when gigging outside, under the sun ?)

(Asking before starting my own midibox controller, because i've always been unhappy with the 'official' products and their inability to be programmed (have to run a pretty messy max patch to have my 2 launchpads working as i want them to work). I always thought that musicians have their own workflow, and hardware should adapt to musicians, not the contrary.
thank you)
IIRC from watching one of the first vids, Push can run via USB power only, but the LEDs will be brighter if you use external power/mains. From my own hacking research from wanting to build my own controller, LEDs do dim over time, so I would use in a dimmed setting as much as you can, & turn up the brightness only when needed. & turn off when not in use.

Velocity & aftertouch are very hard to do in home-brew controllers. I wanted to build a monome/APC that could do those, & Push is it, so now I don't have to bother. I could use more knobs/sliders, so I may end up using all those microcontrollers laying around for that though.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:18 pm

re8 wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:You can probably find a much better discount at a local store. They are giving a 50$ discount to people upgrading from live8 suite to l9suite+push, which would put it at 550$. Right now you can go pre-order on guitarcenter with a coupon for 510$, and presumably even lower whenever they put out a 20% off coupon.
-edit
For many of us in USA, we'll be taxed on GuitarCenter.com's orders, so it will really be $550-ish with a 15% coupon. I saw a week or so ago eastcoastmusic.com had Push on pre-order for less than $450, but I was sketched out by their crappy website, listing 2 different phone numbers, & no call-back from leaving a message. So I took advanatage of ZZsounds price-matching.
same, thats why I ended up doing the pricematch+discount at music123. Didnt know zzsounds also did one, however i did email eastcoastmusic and got a response a day later, so there is someone there

isham

Post by isham » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 pm

su-Y wrote:I have a couple of questions:

When will Push approximately ship? I am planning to preorder and moving to another country in the beginning of April ( I live in London currently ), and I would like to know would it be wise to order it to my current home adress.

Also, what about the cover/stand? As I understood it does not come with Push by default, so I wonder will it also be available to preorder on March 5

Thanks in advance!

Also, using the opportunity I would like to thank you for amazing communication with the community, this thread was very informative and interesting!
Same question on a dedicated push stand ala maschine ? Any comment on that ?

Thanks a lot

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Lye wrote:
I bought Live 8 Suite in order to get the Live 9 upgrade for free, but I don't see any option to buy push that does not include live 9 price. Is there any information on this?

Me too... Interesting...
Okay, now I am really confused :? :? :?

If I upgrade to Live 8 Suite it's £203

Therefore with Free Live 9 Suite Upgrade, still £203 for Live 9 Suite

If I buy Live 9 Suite upgrade directly it is £299

If i buy Live 9 Suite and Push it's £688

Therefore Push is £688 minus £299 = £389

So by that reasoning if I buy the Live 8 Suite upgrade and then Push my total should be: £389 + 203 = £592

Yet there doesn't seem to be an option for this!
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi There,

It appears that you can load VST instruments in Push using Racks?

Can VST Plug in Effects be loaded and controlled in the effect section of Push?

Cheers
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Quantize

Post by Quantize » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:32 am

wildcon wrote:Hi There,

It appears that you can load VST instruments in Push using Racks?

Can VST Plug in Effects be loaded and controlled in the effect section of Push?

Cheers
Yes but they also have to be contained in a rack and saved in the user folder in places. They will then appear in the push browser under audio effect racks/ other.

scientist

Post by scientist » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

has there been any headway on a push editor? push still seems a bit limited, and "your wish is noted" isn't a good enough answer for those of us who hope to replace e.g. launchpad or apc-40 functionality. any further information would be helpful in light of the limited intro deal.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:49 pm

I haven't seen any indication that the drum rack sequencer in Push is responsive to the velocity that you hit the pads with. I know there's an accent button and you can edit velocities after entry with the knob but seeing as the pads are velocity sensitive, wouldn't it make sense to allow the sequencer step pads to velocities based on how hard you hit the key?
Professional Shark Jumper.

hobz_

Post by hobz_ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 pm

when you use push will you be able to see the wav file displayed on the lcd screen then use the knobs to move the warp markers or transients?? or move the markers in the drum rack?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 am

hobz_ wrote:when you use push will you be able to see the wav file displayed on the lcd screen then use the knobs to move the warp markers or transients?? or move the markers in the drum rack?
Definitely not. There's no waveform view or editing.
Professional Shark Jumper.