iMac 27" quad, MacBook Air,
Old guitars ('63 Strat, '68 ES-335),
Custom acoustics.

long live the small fish

julienb

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by julienb » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:44 am

ash wrote:
julienb wrote: personally, in the studio, I began to use it combined with screen/mouse
do you use the APC-40 too?
I did then I built my protodeck, then I discovered Lemur on iPad, and at last, I had a PUSH for beta testing and reporting purpose :)

The LCD of the PUSH is a REAL improvement because it saves brain's time/memory.
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

pistacchioso

Post by pistacchioso » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:17 pm

About tomorrow march 5, what does it mean that push will only be available for *preorder*? are they only accepting orders but push won't be out for a while? when will it be available on shops or at ableton then? what will be the advantages of preordering it vs waiting for it to finally come out?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I was just thinking about this yesterday as I was trying to remember which device had the blue hand while changing settings on my APC40. Can't wait to outsource that brain function :D

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:25 pm

ansolas wrote:
julienb wrote:
ansolas wrote:Can you copy and paste / move Sample of the Drumrack using Push ?
No.
And this feature isn't in the Live API at all (not in Max for Live, nor in Python Remote Scripts API)
Ok, so push is only meant to be used as performance tool not to manage thing :) fair enough
It just means the Push (or any other Live-specific controller) cannot have full control over every feature of Live. As far as using it as a performance tool, Ableton said on the first page of this thread that performing was not the focus of Push but on studio use instead. The bottomline is that Live still requires you to use a mouse or a trackpad to control many aspects of the software, even with a Live-specific controller like Push.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm very excited about this Drum Rack stuff.

Live seems to have always had these frustratingly open and flexible midi standards. On the one hand, you can map the fuck out of your set, on the other, you only want to map so much before you're thinking 'I want more control with less'. They gave us Surface Control. I'm sure that many users can vouch for how mind blowing the flexibility it suddenly offered was. Arm your set, blue hand something, and go to town!

They gave us grids, LP and APC style. And they gave us mappable title bars of devices and a bit of integration with navigating left and right per device.

Still, Drum Racks were a huge block. You could make your 4x4 grid hit the pads that were in view, but were unable to scroll through them. And there could be 128 instruments inside ONE rack! There is no way you're gonna map all dem title bars. Even of you did, that takes up a whole set of controls.

Push will really open the floodgates on this. It still has its limitations, but I appreciate that the Ableton crew has led us into territory that no Ableton controller has gone before!

And then there is Session View automation! (Stopped typing, head exploded)

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:56 pm

i hope they fixed the majog bug/issue that all controllers on every independant input share the same 16 midi channel, it'S SO lame and its making so much problems when you use hardware, it would be SO simple to tie controllers to their input so data on channel 2 of my apc via USB won't freaking affect a synth on another MIDI interface like it does now, and with push that will get even uglier

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:21 pm

agent314 wrote:
I was just thinking about this yesterday as I was trying to remember which device had the blue hand while changing settings on my APC40. Can't wait to outsource that brain function :D

you'll LOVE it :)
Julien Bayle

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 pm

That just got me thinking: Is the blue hand shared between Push and the APC?

i.e. will whatever is onscreen for Push be the same thing that the APC is controlling?

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 am

Coming from a Roland MV8000 background, the following features for Push would be awsome:

It would be nice if we could initiate Sampling from the push controller.
The Computer Screen should show a Sampling Window (BIG! please), where you can
Sample and Resample and adjust the sample start- and endpoints with the push knobs.
It would be also very helpfull to be able to jump to the end & start point while being full zoomed in.
This feature allows you to quickly adjust the start and endpoint without zooming in/out. (this feature only exists in Geist and of course the MV)
After Sampling mapping a sample should be solved by just hitting a pad. OR
being able to map it a keyzone by hitting the first and the last key of the desired zone.
The rott key should also be set able by hitting a key.
copying samples (when mapped to the pads) without touching the mouse is also a very nice feature since you could stay in the flow while sampling etc ...

This would be very nice, one can dream :)

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:35 pm

ansolas wrote:Coming from a Roland MV8000 background, the following features for Push would be awsome:

It would be nice if we could initiate Sampling from the push controller.
The Computer Screen should show a Sampling Window (BIG! please), where you can
Sample and Resample and adjust the sample start- and endpoints with the push knobs.
It would be also very helpfull to be able to jump to the end & start point while being full zoomed in.
This feature allows you to quickly adjust the start and endpoint without zooming in/out. (this feature only exists in Geist and of course the MV)
After Sampling mapping a sample should be solved by just hitting a pad. OR
being able to map it a keyzone by hitting the first and the last key of the desired zone.
The rott key should also be set able by hitting a key.
copying samples (when mapped to the pads) without touching the mouse is also a very nice feature since you could stay in the flow while sampling etc ...

This would be very nice, one can dream :)
I think Max for Live and Push are going to be very good friends...

julienb

Post by julienb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:44 pm

They actually are very good friends.
Playing with Sysex, we can also write to the LCD ...

as soon as I'd have time, I'll continue to document this page:
http://julienbayle.net/ableton-push
Julien Bayle

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Thank you Julien, I've been following your documentation eagerly!

ash

Post by ash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 pm

julienb wrote: as soon as I'd have time, I'll continue to document this page:
your videos that show the 'push' device being operated along with the session view interface has to be the best i've seen.
only can you do them in english please too? :cry:
OS X 10.10.2, Live9 Suite, More Waves plugs than I can use,
Push, RME Babyface, APC-40, Akai LPK,
Novation X Stat 49 and Zero ReMote SL,
iMac 27" quad, MacBook Air,
Old guitars ('63 Strat, '68 ES-335),
Custom acoustics.

long live the small fish

julienb

Post by julienb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:12 pm

ash wrote:
julienb wrote: as soon as I'd have time, I'll continue to document this page:
your videos that show the 'push' device being operated along with the session view interface has to be the best i've seen.
only can you do them in english please too? :cry:
I'm totally oversaturated by projects and that's both good and exhausting.
I don't have time but please feel free to ask/request and I'll do my best to answer fast :)
Julien Bayle