All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 am 

More how tos about Remote scripts, debug and stuff.

http://julienbayle.net/ableton-push/#howtos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 am 

agent314 wrote:
Julien, is it true that the parameter knobs on Push will only control VST parameters mapped to Macro knobs and that no controls you add via the Configure mode will be available?

Any info on this? I like to add all my controls with configuration and control them with Push - with scrolling thru them in pairs of 8.
Mapping them to macro's means only 8 controls and the controls will not change when switching presets on the plugins which kills the workflow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 am 

Sarrova-Q wrote:
agent314 wrote:
Julien, is it true that the parameter knobs on Push will only control VST parameters mapped to Macro knobs and that no controls you add via the Configure mode will be available?

Any info on this? I like to add all my controls with configuration and control them with Push.
Mapping them to macro's means only 8 controls and the controls will not change when switching presets on the plugins which kills the workflow.

GASP. didn't test.
doing that RIGHT NOW !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 am 

I guess you'll be happy.

Answers are here:
http://julienbayle.net/blog/2013/03/08/ ... sh-and-vst

It works, fine and WITHOUT rack (that urban legend was nice btw)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:44 am 

NICE! Thank you very much for testing and replying, appreciate it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:57 pm 

PHEW

That was a borderline dealbreaker for me.

Quote:
It works, fine and WITHOUT rack (that urban legend was nice btw)

It came from a certified Ableton trainer, which is why I was concerned.

Thanks for testing :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:03 pm 

I believe the Rack aspect is for Saving and Recalling vsts.

Yeah, you can configure it outside of a rack, but if you were to load up the same vst, you'd have to do Configure all over again.

Within a Rack however, you can save the Rack, recall it (from the controller!!), and then, it was easy to accidentally assume you were limited to the 8 macros. But, if you jump into the Rack, it sounds like you'll have all your configure controls at your disposal every single time :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 pm 

yur2die4 wrote:
I believe the Rack aspect is for Saving and Recalling vsts.

Yeah, you can configure it outside of a rack, but if you were to load up the same vst, you'd have to do Configure all over again.

Within a Rack however, you can save the Rack, recall it (from the controller!!), and then, it was easy to accidentally assume you were limited to the 8 macros. But, if you jump into the Rack, it sounds like you'll have all your configure controls at your disposal every single time :D

The live API provides the way to load a vst (any plugins) directly as you create any instruments.
BUT, it isn't the current behavior in the push' scripts
Posting something on my blog tonight about that

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 pm 

I'd add something.
Personally, I'm using a lot VST from NI.
Those (but not only them, but not ALL existing VST of course) can be setup using Program Change.

I'm more comfortable using my own banks (loaded one time, and append with new presets) and use Program Change in clips, than loading 50 chains in a rack with the same VST in each chain with one different preset each time.
I'm talking about live conditions.
Indeed, in studio, that's different.

But it is definitively a question of taste and habits.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:53 pm 

Quote:
But, if you jump into the Rack, it sounds like you'll have all your configure controls at your disposal every single time

This is what I started back in Live 8 so I could keep all my most frequently used VSTs in a single folder in my library, and was hoping I would be able to use all the items I had Configured even though they are not Macro'd.

This is what I do now with my APC40/MPK49, to pretty good effect, an d was hoping to be able to do with Push. The certified trainer specifically said that only macros would show up as controls, which definitely put a damper on my spirits.

Glad to hear that was not the case :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 pm 

agent314 wrote:
Quote:
But, if you jump into the Rack, it sounds like you'll have all your configure controls at your disposal every single time

This is what I started back in Live 8 so I could keep all my most frequently used VSTs in a single folder in my library, and was hoping I would be able to use all the items I had Configured even though they are not Macro'd.

This is what I do now with my APC40/MPK49, to pretty good effect, an d was hoping to be able to do with Push. The certified trainer specifically said that only macros would show up as controls, which definitely put a damper on my spirits.

Glad to hear that was not the case :D

I'm continueing to explore and there is also some ways with that python scripts to display also the category "Plug-ins" that (at least) would let us to create a plugin device. BUT not being able to scroll even in the bank list wouldn't be really useful so...

I hope we'll have more tools to do that soon..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:22 am 

How do you control Track Record Arming using PUSH ?

I've just read the PUSH section of the Live9 user guide, I've kept pace with this thread and I've watched many of the video's available and I don't think I've seen any way to see the status of or enable/disable the Track Record ARM ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:32 am 

Blurr wrote:

I've just read the PUSH section of the Live9 user guide, I've kept pace with this thread and I've watched many of the video's available and I don't think I've seen any way to see the status of or enable/disable the Track Record ARM ?

As soon as you select a track, it is "implicit armed"
I still didn't even try to arm a track on another way with Push.

implicit arm is a new property of the Live Object Model too in M4L.
a track implicitly armed as its arm button not RED but a kind of PINK (light red actually)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:48 am 

julienb wrote:
Blurr wrote:

As soon as you select a track, it is "implicit armed"
I still didn't even try to arm a track on another way with Push.

implicit arm is a new property of the Live Object Model too in M4L.
a track implicitly armed as its arm button not RED but a kind of PINK (light red actually)

I did recognize that some type of auto arm was at work but wasn't sure how to refer to it. I also mostly like what I've been able understand in the new workflow. The development of PUSH has obviously caused a significant rethink of how to get your hands and eye's off the computer.

Sounds like my mouse or an APC might me required if I want to ARM multiple tracks ? It's not that big a deal I suppose. I probably wouldn't have to learn too much python to add my own track ARMs - I think "Shift-Stop" should is free ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 pm 

Question about workflow.
Suppose that I'm working on a certain scene and I want to move the song forward.

1) Can I clone the whole scene to a new one to start working on a variation of it?

In the new scene, I want to add a new instrument (for example, a counter melody to my lead). The new instrument steals some sound space to the main lead that hence I want to eq someway, or pan away or lower its volume. I just want this in the new scene, since applying a global volume reduction would make it less prominent in the whole song, even in the scenes where it's the only instrument.

2) What is the way to handle this in a pure-Push workflow?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 34  Next