Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
Joost

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by Joost » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm

It wil make hundreds of thousands live users more happy indeed, hope they fix it soon

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 pm

personally, i see this as a feature, not a bug :]

one solution would be to make a track with a drumrack and a bunch of external instruments in each cell, then route them to another track with your grouped drumrack.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Fix that .. AND sample chopping and we're onto a winner.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Sorry if is has already been answered, I tried to find the question but since I cannot find the information I allow myself to ask for some disturbing details whick make me unable to pre-order (money taken apart) :

1/ If I choose to buy Push with my actual Live 9 Suite licence, the price is 499€ and it mentions "for your actual Live 9 Suite licence" in the "upgrade to Push + Suite 9" box. The two others being grey.

2/ Wether I choose to buy Push starting from my Live Lite 8 licence, or from blank and buying a new licence", prices are the same, with a subtle difference : choosing "new licence" allow me to make available the "Push + Intro" option for 499€

>>> Is there some "linked to a licence" thing to take into account before pre-ordering ? Indeed, if not, why this mention "to suit with your licence" and the same price as if I choose the "from nothing" way to buy, at the same price I get an Intro licence for "free"...

I'd like to know if buying Push must be linked with the licence we want to be working with, or not.

Thank you, and kind regards
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 pm

lo.key wrote:personally, i see this as a feature, not a bug :]
For those of not viewing it as a feature, it's unfortunate because it means that for all drum racks, you can't play more than the 4x4 grid of notes without scrolling, and for all instrument racks, you can't step sequence. It would be nice to be able to choose ... and it's hard for me to see the lack of choice, since both options would be desirable at times, as a plus. Ideally I'd like a shift-modifier type function that causes a clip to open in the opposite type of editor from its default.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 pm

neuromodulator wrote:
lo.key wrote:personally, i see this as a feature, not a bug :]
For those of not viewing it as a feature, it's unfortunate because it means that for all drum racks, you can't play more than the 4x4 grid of notes without scrolling, and for all instrument racks, you can't step sequence. It would be nice to be able to choose ... and it's hard for me to see the lack of choice, since both options would be desirable at times, as a plus. Ideally I'd like a shift-modifier type function that causes a clip to open in the opposite type of editor from its default.

i think ive explained the required methods to produce both those behaviours, actually. Drum racks with instrument racks allow playing 64 pads at a time (but without step sequencing), drum racks with external instrument plugins routed to other instrument racks allow step sequencing melodies. But i agree, a shift load would simplify things. But its a tradeoff, either way.

Anyhow, i guarantee you that alternative approaches will see rapid implementation. Open platforms ftw!

(but hey ableton: open platforms require open documentation: get on that please!)

[edit]: seems like someones already on this! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191287

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 pm

Looks like we need to register Push with a serial?

Does that have any implications for selling Push, should we want to?

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:37 am

agent314 wrote:Looks like we need to register Push with a serial?

Does that have any implications for selling Push, should we want to?
My GUESS is that it would not. There is usually a difference between registering a product and licensing a product. Usually registering has more to do with things like warranties only being able to be utilized by the original purchaser.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 am

Woah!!!!!

Just watched the tutorial vids. The last one was particularly interesting!!

I wonder what kind of experimental music you can make using extreme sensitivity settings on the pads, some feathers, and an interesting scale?

I consider this amount of control over the pad sensitivity to be a bonus feature :P

I can see potential with it for live performance, and clip recording. This is exciting to me haha.

And then maybe add a touch of quantization. Holy CRizAP! (Anxious for this week to happen)

su-Y

Post by su-Y » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:18 pm

We will process your delivery as quickly as possible. Our delivery
service will notify you when your order leaves the warehouse.

EpsilonExordium

Post by EpsilonExordium » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Apparently mine is already here in Austin and will be delivered tomorrow! Yeah!

vitaphone

Post by vitaphone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:49 am

Does the note repeat quantization function work per pad instance... so for example set the pad with kick drum to 1/4 and the pad with hh to 1/16s and it then remembers this? Or once I select a different quantization resolution that now applies to all pads?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:07 am

It seems like one setting at a time. Not only that, I think I saw in the tutorial series vids, a situation where he quantized, and it quantized all the quantized notes out... (Triplet divisions became equal..)

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:32 am

im fairly certain thats just a display function, that change to triplets etc., to denote that there is a note somewhere within that step. Remember, you can hold a pad and nudge a note off the grid, and the pad remains lit the same...

...hmm, this gets me thinking a nice mod to the step sequencer would be a colourshift to reflect this. Use a white for quantized filled steps, then blueshift it if its early and redshift it if its late! Makes sense to me yD

lorence

Post by lorence » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:55 pm

why is there always a little drop out when i toggle between note and session mode with push???