Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
the bite

Re: Ableton Push QA

Post by the bite » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:15 am

Now Push will be able to adjust the selected clip or loop when they are on the session view as clip.
It,s possible to use the encoders with the audio samples to preview unwarped samples on the browser and jump to different parts of the waveform?.That would be amazing, use the start encoder to finally move into unwarped clips on the browser.Now we cannot do this, and this kind of thing will make push awesome.

condra

Post by condra » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:55 am

Question/suggestion:

When dealing with devices with many controls, requiring pages of mapping in groups of 8, will it be possible to jump pages?

It would be great to be able to go straight from page 1 to page 13, when dealing with a complex synth, for example.. perhaps by holding a modifier key and hitting either a side button, or even a corrosponding pad.
Last edited by condra on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:11 am

condra wrote:Question/siggestion:

When dealing with devices with many controls, requiring pages of mapping in groups of 8, will it be possible to jump pages?

It would be great to be able to go straight from page 1 to page 13, when dealing with a complex synth, for example.. perhaps by holding a modifier key and hitting either a side button, or even a corrosponding pad.
i gues those 16 top half pads could be used for this, click a pad, jump to that page

midinut

Post by midinut » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:30 am

I searched around and couldn't find any direct comparisons so I'll ask it here. I did read the Redundant thread but am looking for a different perspective. I'm using Live Alesis Version and plan to upgrade to Live 9 Suite soon.

What's the major differences between the Push and the APC40?

From what I can gather from the videos and product info the Push can act as an input device, where you can choose from different pad layouts and scales. I get that and it looks intriguing. Looking at the pads and the buttons on the sides, I'm not seeing any way to launch clips as can be done with the pads on the APC40.
I also can see where the readout up on top of the Push would come in handy for seeing which knob controls what parameter. But if I'm reading what you guys are saying correctly in this thread, that feature is a bit of a hit and miss. I also realize you can set some of the pads to trigger loops, samples, or act as a drum machine. I'm also reading that I you create objects in m4l, the Push seems to be not playing nicely. One comment in the redundant thread that made sense was the analogy of APC20/APC40/Push = Good/Better/Best.

I suppose I could grab an APC40 and try it first and see how we get along. If I'm not happy, I can always grab a Push later. May be that someone doesn't gel with their Push and I could grab one used for a good deal. When are they shipping?

condra

Post by condra » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:47 pm

midinut wrote: What's the major differences between the Push and the APC40?
APC has way more knobs and faders.
Push has more buttons, dedicated to common production tasks.
Looking at the pads and the buttons on the sides, I'm not seeing any way to launch clips as can be done with the pads on the APC40.
Push mimics the colour of the clips in Live, making it even easier to see what's going on. Also, I would be fairly confident you can launch scenes from the side buttons when in session mode. Perhaps Jesse can confirm this.
One comment in the redundant thread that made sense was the analogy of APC20/APC40/Push = Good/Better/Best.

Wrong. The APC40 and Push are both good at different things. APC40 will almost always be preferred for DJ'ing, while Push is an advanced studio workhorse.

condra

Post by condra » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:53 pm

2 more questions from me if you get a chance Jesse..

When using Push in a more generic midi mode, to control a range of parameters which we have mapped, such as panning, effects, etc for a DJ set, will we still get the corrosponding labelling on the Push display?

My other question, similar to the question about quick jumping pages of configured controls ... When in generic midi mode, will there be an option to use the 8 rotaries in banks, in the same way it is with the MPK/MPD controllers?
(e.g bank A/B/C/D, giving you 32 possible controls)

Thanks again for all your hard work Jesse, Ableton, and AKAI :o

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Sorry if I missed this somewhere but do the dials click I wonder?

I have found this to be really useful as with the non clicking type on the APC if you map 127 samples in a rack its impossible to dial particular samples.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:58 pm

the bite wrote:from press release of push: Push gives you the best of both worlds for making music: inspiring hardware for hands-on control at the beginning, and full-featured music creation software for fine-tuning the details at the end.

its like,ok use push to create,use live to fine-tuning and to perform use anything else.I would like to know if Push creators see it as a performance tool too.

Edited---- I missed this on the press release: Push is also the ultimate performance controller, with pads that can be instantly repurposed into a clip launching grid. And Live’s tight integration with Max for Live lets you customize Push for your own working style, or reprogram it to add new features and workflows.
I'd like more info and some videos of Push used in a performance situation, and how it could work as an alternative to something like the APC.

Having said that, I have performed live using just a Launchpad, and Push will give me everything the LP does and much more. So I think Push will have plenty of applications for live performance.

Jesse

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by Jesse » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm doing my best to answer questions, and added a few more answers, but I didn't get to all of the questions yet, will try to tomorrow, and to work on some follow ups.

Thanks for your patience and keep the questions coming.

Best,
Jesse

syncr

Post by syncr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks for the major update Jesse :) Appreciate the dedication.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:07 pm

(this is just the kind of communication from hq that has been needed, kudos)

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Step sequencing on any midi instrument is kind of a important request and something that I would think would have been considered well before the end user requests. Preferably with some ability to scroll up and down the piano roll. Unless Mark is planning a new version of his M4L device.

condra

Post by condra » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Question:
Have all the physical controls been mapped to software functions?
Is there more (physical) room for new features in future refinements? (perhaps with shift buttons)

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:07 pm

The APC40 came out... and functionality at the time of release was pretty much it. A lot of people asked for enhancements for years, but as far as I'm aware... none were made. Individual users spent a lot of time developing their own updates via python. Is that the plan for Push as well, or will official functionlity continue to evlove and improve over time with firmware updates etc?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 pm

(this is just the kind of communication from hq that has been needed, kudos)
OMG there are still some remaining human beings at Ableton HQs!!!!

hope this is not a kinda zombie tooled to fish us in their nets 8O

kidding