Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
marcoskohler

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by marcoskohler » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:17 am

Anyway to delete a drumpad? or copy an empty one to a used one?

stillvisions

Post by stillvisions » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Is there any way to control where the "duplicate" button sends the duplicate set of tracks currently playing?

As a workflow thing it'd be an awesome way to put together a full song by having the duplicate always go to the bottom - that way you could set up the first set of clips, hit duplicate, change to the next, hit duplicate etc. and you have the entire track being laid out at the bottom while keeping your original clip set on top stay the same.

queglay

Post by queglay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:17 pm

you can, kind of. i think it duplicates under the last played cell, so you can select a new cell, stop it, and then duplicate the rest under that cell
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:54 am

Why does fixed length not work when recording audio tracks? Please please implement this. This would make Live and Push absolutely perfect.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 pm

joeyfivecents wrote:Why does fixed length not work when recording audio tracks? Please please implement this. This would make Live and Push absolutely perfect.
This is so much better than the fixed length button:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=198932

:wink:

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Thank you for that. I'm gonna check it out now.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Valiumd, that looks great. Going to check it out later tonight.

limeforce

Instrument Rack: melodic instrument & drum rack

Post by limeforce » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey!

I've set up an Instrument Rack to contain a melodic instrument and a drum rack. Now, the moment I inserted that drum rack, Push went into step sequencer mode (4x4 matrix of notes from C-1 to D#-2). Can I somehow select whether to play an instrument rack as a melodic instrument or a percussive instrument + step sequencer?

I would like to have both the melodic instrument and the drums available at the same time. To me it seems that the easiest way to do it would be by playing the Instrument Rack like a melodic instrument and creating a key mapping which would give 16 notes/pads to the drums and the rest to the melodic instrument. That would involve using the Sequential note mode to have all of the 64 pads available for different midi notes (Scales --> Shift --> Seqent^).

I'm actually planning to reorder the pads as well as soon as I figure out how to do that. This is the ultimate goal:

m = melodic, d = drums

mmmmmmdd
mmmmmmdd
mmmmmmdd
mmmmmmdd
mmmmmmdd
mmmmmmdd
mmmmmmdd
mmmmmmdd

Thanks in advance!

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:35 am

No you can't unless you use 3rd party scripts.

queglay

Post by queglay » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:40 am

you could setup another track as an instrument and to just pass the midi through, route it into the track your keen on.

also, you could try putting a drum rack and a standard instruments in another chain, then use the external instrument to route the midi from chain 2 into 1. then push could dive into eaach one of these chains seperatley. not sure if ableton have implemented this ability yet, but it could work.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:30 pm

moog voyager vst please?

queglay

Post by queglay » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:53 pm

ill take a look at this. i've also done a lot of arturia presets, should be able to put them out soon after maschine 2.0

dburton

Post by dburton » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi, can key changes be automated in Push's note mode? Sometimes if I'm improvising on a song with complex chord changes, the key will modulate for just a quick bar or two, which seems impossible to adjust in real time while also playing, and it would be amazing if these scale changes could be set up ahead of time (like when you draw in a scale midi effect envelope into the arrangement view...). I've searched everywhere for an answer to this but strangely couldn't find it...thanks in advance!

dburton

Post by dburton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:40 am

Ok,

So according to Josh Spoon (who made that rad "30 Days with Push" Youtube tutorial, it appears it is not possible to automate Push's note mode key changes (nor save them) :(

So that leads me to my next question about a workaround I'm conceptualizing (currently trying to decide if Push is worth the investment for me):

I like that Max For Live effect "16 scales" more than the Ableton Scale Effect because it doesn't double notes in a scale (which doesn't sound authentic for playing runs), but it is weird to work with on a keyboard, because it effectively makes every scale become a chromatic scale, and so not intuitive to play (unless I was trying to practice chromatic scales I suppose)....

So I'm thinking that with Push's note grid, I can see using the "16 scales" effect as a potentially decent workaround for automating key/scale changes (since it's essentially the same set up as note mode already). Has anyone tried using Push in conjunction with either the "16 Scales" Max For Live effect or the Midi Scale Effect? What I'm hoping to do is draw in scale and mode changes into the arrangement view of a midi track, and then they can follow me along while jamming through a song with complex chord changes. That way I can just focus on the sound and melodies and not on on keeping track of what notes are in which scale every bar or two. Also, automating it so that it's chromatic on all the "weak" beats (2 & 4) can make for an interesting sound when jamming because all the notes not in the scale can still be played but are forced to resolve on the "strong" beats (1 & 3)...

What I would love though to utilize (maybe in a future version/update of Push) is a way to automate key changes in its chromatic mode, because then the LEDs would be an awesome visual guide that can help make jamming over a set of complex chord changes so much less daunting (or time consuming, since it can take so long just to become familiar with the changes)...when is all this digital technology going to finally help people avoid the tedium of practicing scales?

nightscope

Post by nightscope » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Search for PUSH SCL in the Clyphx Manual.