Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
mr.waltonfl

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by mr.waltonfl » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:50 pm

I would truly be pleased with my Push if I could expand Drum racks in Track Mode, and therefore have access to the Pan/Solo/Mute functions for each pad.

Would be even better if I could also have it expanded in Pan & Send mode, but that the individual drums would have access to pan and Send (within the drum racks returns).

Love Push anyway. :)

mr.waltonfl

Post by mr.waltonfl » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:54 pm

dburton wrote:Ok,

So according to Josh Spoon (who made that rad "30 Days with Push" Youtube tutorial, it appears it is not possible to automate Push's note mode key changes (nor save them) :(
fwiw I've got in the habit of right clicking and editing the info text for each clip and writing in the base note and scale type (also writing in the chord progression there. Or anywhere else convenient).
dburton wrote:I like that Max For Live effect "16 scales" more than the Ableton Scale Effect because it doesn't double notes in a scale (which doesn't sound authentic for playing runs), but it is weird to work with on a keyboard, because it effectively makes every scale become a chromatic scale, and so not intuitive to play (unless I was trying to practice chromatic scales I suppose)....
hit Scales, hold Shift and select Sequent^ and the notes are no longer duplicated. If you want to play runs though, just know that if you only use any 3 columns at once, you won't hit duplicates. Any 5 columns if in chromatic mode.

dburton

Post by dburton » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:35 am

mr.waltonfl wrote:
hit Scales, hold Shift and select Sequent^ and the notes are no longer duplicated. If you want to play runs though, just know that if you only use any 3 columns at once, you won't hit duplicates. Any 5 columns if in chromatic mode.
[/quote]

The duplicates I was talking about are with the Ableton Midi Scale Effect being used with a conventional keyboard, not Push. Thanks for the input anyways! :D

My main problem with the Push scales, is that even in chromatic mode, only one key can be in use at any one time...so if I was playing something like Coltrane changes, where the key changes drastically every bar or so, then the LEDs showing which pads are in key will be rendered useless. It seems like Clyphx has a workaround, where you can automate key/scale changes in the arrangement view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7u5LFF4wuM

However, according to the guy that made that tutorial, the changes are not quite instantaneous enough to be useful for a live performance or anything (for a song with rapid key changes, anyways).

Push would be the dopest instrument ever if it could automate key/scale changes...then no matter how complex any progression is, you can just jam out with the same finger patterns and just think about melody and sound rather than keeping track of which notes fit in which scale....

eyecompellya

Post by eyecompellya » Wed May 07, 2014 10:08 am

dburton wrote:Push would be the dopest instrument ever if it could automate key/scale changes...then no matter how complex any progression is, you can just jam out with the same finger patterns and just think about melody and sound rather than keeping track of which notes fit in which scale....
MIDI Effect>Pitch

:?:

dburton

Post by dburton » Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 am

eyecompellya wrote:
MIDI Effect>Pitch

:?:
the midi pitch effect is just a transposition tool (moving ALL notes played up or down by a specified number of semi-tones)....it's not really related to scale changes per se. Unless I'm missing something in what you had in mind...

vinit

Post by vinit » Sat May 24, 2014 8:27 am

Hi everyone,

I got a problem, the pink arm button that is activated by push is no longer here in one of my project, it just dont appears when I click on a track.

I cant find any thread related to my problem, maybe I just badly looked around, Im sorry if so

edit-actually the pink red button is here when the routing is on ALL-INS but not when Im on "midi from Push", its weird because its here in other projet... which is boring cause the problem is ont the session I use to play live :evil:

fuzZz

Post by fuzZz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:03 am

Hey, i had similar problem, but when i switched back to All Ins and back to Push only it disappeared. So i was able to have correct track arming and using Push only midi input simultaneously.

svire

Post by svire » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Started using push...

Is it possible on push to reset parametar to his default value? Some shortcut, like delete + taping for deleting automation.

Thx

queglay

Post by queglay » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:41 pm

I wish! that would be amazing. please share with ableton support so they can get visibility on this one. I have shared as well.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

svire

Post by svire » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:49 am

Could we maybe put together some sort of offical forum list of functions that could be implemented in a push with next update?
Then send it to Ableton...

queglay

Post by queglay » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:00 pm

on the reset to default value, that could be achieved with a max patch at least.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

jimixdnb

Post by jimixdnb » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:38 pm

hi everyone, I'm considering to buy a foot pedal for my push, but I couldn't find a whole lotta information about it...

can I use a volume/expression pedal with push? or only sustain pedals?
and what's this polarity thing I've read about? what should I keep in mind? can you give me any recommendations?

well, thanks a lot!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:36 pm

jimixdnb wrote:hi everyone, I'm considering to buy a foot pedal for my push, but I couldn't find a whole lotta information about it...

and what's this polarity thing I've read about? what should I keep in mind? can you give me any recommendations?

well, thanks a lot!
Vol/Exp pedals are not supported :(

In regards to a sustain pedal I always make a point to source ones that have a polarity switch so I can use them on different gear easily but with Push it will "auto detect" the polarity when you power up push with the pedal depressed so should work with anything. Just be sure to get a SUSTAIN pedal and not a foot switch which is latching.

Syver

Post by Syver » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:13 am

jimixdnb wrote:hi everyone, I'm considering to buy a foot pedal for my push, but I couldn't find a whole lotta information about it...

well, thanks a lot!
Hello,

If it helps, I have an M-Audio SP-2 which is well built, very cheap and has no polarity issue with Push or Maschine or any of my keyboards.

alexhobartuk

Post by alexhobartuk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 am

Hi everyone

I've just started using Push and I'm getting frustrated in how the overdubbing doesn't work in the same way as it does when i just use a simple keyboard. Whenever I go to make a recording while other clips are playing it only records 1 bar of music. In addition, the overdubbing doesn't round up to the next bar it simply ends immediately when I press so I end up with 15+ or 7+. If anyone can help me that would be fantastic!