Push - 'Grouped' track and clip indicators

Discuss Push with other users.
Panoramica

Push - 'Grouped' track and clip indicators

Post by Panoramica » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 am

Hi,

Just putting my new Push controller through its paces.

Some feedback about 'group' tracks and clips:

// Group tracks

There doesn't appear to be any indication that a track is a (collapsed) group which contains other tracks.

I can expand the group by holding down the track selection button, but unless I look at the monitor, there is no way to know that the track is a group.

Therefore I suggest changing the LCD readout from 'Track Selection: GROUPNAME' to 'Track Selection: GROUPNAME (Group)'

// Clips in group tracks

An ongoing Live annoyance for me is that Group clips can't be named.

Push appears to have similar quirks:

- stopped group clips do not appear on the controller
- there is no stop button below the track selector for grouped tracks that contain playing group clips
- holding down Select and selecting a playing group clip shows 'Clip Selection: [empty slot]'. This would be better as 'Clip Selection: [group clip]'

Thanks,
Dan
Panoramica. Lush Downbeat.
Website / Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Twitter

MacBook Pro 2011 (2 GHz, 8 GB RAM) + OS X 10.8.3
Ableton Standard 9 + Push
NI Maschine Mk1
RME Babyface

Pitch Black

Re: Push - 'Grouped' track and clip indicators

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:39 am

I agree, I would like Group Tracks clip slots to show some indication that they are indeed populated with clips from inside the Group.

At the moment, Group track slots on the Push grid appear blank.

Group track clip slots that will play their contained clips should be lit on Push IN SOME WAY at least, analogous the cross-hatching in the Live GUI.

You could go for a colour variation, but I'd just be happy for a solid LED, showing that there was something there.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed May 15, 2013 12:42 pm

yes any word on group track clip slots showing up on push?
downloading .o4 update now.. i didn't see it in the release notes
kind of key to my live set if I want to use push for clip launching.
I wasn't considering that use push in that way for performance but the big 8x8 plus scene launch is kind of awesome.

Panoramica

Post by Panoramica » Thu May 16, 2013 9:26 am

bosonHavoc wrote:yes any word on group track clip slots showing up on push?
downloading .o4 update now.. i didn't see it in the release notes .
I contacted support on 21.04.2013 and they replied shortly after that "The Push developers are aware of this behaviour. I will be sure to contact the team again to let them know that you asked about it."

While they were polite and courteous, I got the impression that I was nagging and my request was on a very long TODO list, probably somewhere near the bottom.
bosonHavoc wrote:kind of key to my live set if I want to use push for clip launching
I wasn't considering that use push in that way for performance but the big 8x8 plus scene launch is kind of awesome.
My feeling is that Push is being marketed as a 'creative instrument' first and foremost so workflow fixes and improvements that aid in the device living up to those expectations are always going to come before fixes that would make it a great pad/performance controller. Which is a shame because I also have lots of existing sets that make heavy use of groups and which I would really love to play with such a sexy, hands-on pad controller. Even knowing this, I hold a candle of hope that once the marketing department have had their pound of flesh the software developers will still have enough enthusiasm left to start ticking off some of the other bugs that are holding the device back from pad controller nirvana.

Cheers,
Dan

NI Maschine Mk1
RME Babyface

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

thanks for the info..

i am actually using my Quneo for clip launch and effects and the push as an instrument.
but i kind of really dig the big 8x8 grid on the push for clip launch.
so i was thinking of changing it up.

I was debating the push for live use because it is not totally
suited for live performing. even though it is a great live tool.
my thought would always fall back on.. it is smaller than a keyboard and i can play it better lol

chroos

Post by chroos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:11 pm

i made a patch for MIDI Remote Scripts to show LED Feedback in grouped tracks, feel free to try it out:

you have to copy ClipSlotComponent.py to the _Framework folder inside the Remote Scripts.
make shure to backup the old ClipSlotComponent.pyc

https://github.com/tentacleBuffet/Ablet ... mponent.py

Panoramica

Post by Panoramica » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Good stuff! Thanks chroos, this is my #1 missing feature so your post was a really nice start to my Tuesday :)

Group LED feedback is working well now thanks. :) :)

One small thing: when Push's is in Session mode, and the 'Stop' button is lit, playing non-group clips display a red stop button at the top of their channel. Is it possible to replicate this with your Groups patch?

Thanks again,
Dan

NI Maschine Mk1
RME Babyface

dominique999

Post by dominique999 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:32 am

chroos wrote:i made a patch for MIDI Remote Scripts to show LED Feedback in grouped tracks, feel free to try it out:

you have to copy ClipSlotComponent.py to the _Framework folder inside the Remote Scripts.

Hi,

i try your patch but after copied and restart live, no link is established with push and push is light off...
any idea ?

thank's
:)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 am

Make sure you're using Live 9.05.

Panoramica

Post by Panoramica » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:07 am

Hi dominique999,

I'm not sure if you've used github before, if not please check that you clicked the 'raw' button before saving the script down to your computer.

Cheers,
Dan

NI Maschine Mk1
RME Babyface

chroos

Post by chroos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Panoramica:

Thanks for your feedback! I will try to implement this feature.. I guess it can be done by simulating an actual clip inside the grouped track - maybe only some isPlaying property

dominique999:

I guess you use the wrong live version. there should be a logfile in your ableton directory. you have to delete it, restart ableton and then there should be some information, what really happened.
maybe you can provide that error description.. I think the framework changed in the last live update.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:13 am

chroos wrote:i made a patch for MIDI Remote Scripts to show LED Feedback in grouped tracks, feel free to try it out:

Holy shit, you are awesome!

chroos

Post by chroos » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm

thanks ;)

All changes for grouped tracks are now in this file, so the original _Framework can be restored

This should do the StopButton trick

---- edit:

this is only working for unfolded groups, when folded you have to push right-left or up-down to get the stop buttons updated. im searching for some event i can use to trigger an update.

dschroeter

Post by dschroeter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 am

Oh, my. I never knew how much I would love grouping tracks on the Push until I learned I can't!

I've been setting up my sets as 8x8 clip grids per song, and I realized how great it would be to group tracks because, folded, they would allow me to switch presets, instruments or even from MIDI to audio on the same column of buttons.

Then I learned that this can't be done. Why in the heck wouldn't the Push just default to showing grouped clips as the color of the group??

The .pyc is great but doesn't work for me when folded. Please, Ableton, add this simple functionality!

chroos

Post by chroos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:49 pm

When folded you have to move inside the grid to get it updated. i already have an idea to fix this, but no time to implement it actually