Activate arrangement record from push

Discuss Push with other users.
nbyte

Activate arrangement record from push

Post by nbyte » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 am

Hi all,

got yesterday my push - I love it!

It is very intuitive and inspiring.

One thing I didn't realize: how to activate arragement record! Is this possible?

Mark Egloff

Re: Activate arrangement record from push

Post by Mark Egloff » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 am

Hi nbyte

Push is primarily intended for Session View and it is currently not possible to activate Arrangement Record from Push, but your wish is noted.

Best,
Mark

the bite

Post by the bite » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Seriously??!!! But you can always use the user mode to midi map the button?

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 pm

im a little frustrated that the push live mode has been removed from the midi options in live. It would be great to remap just the metronome button to function as an arrangement record toggle ;[ (without needing to do this in m4l)

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:53 am

I am really surprised that activating the arrangement record was not written into Push's script! How hard could that be??? And what an obvious part of a basic Live workflow. Build up a number of clips in session view, then record your performance of the clip launching into arrangement. Thats kind of shocking.

It could be as simple as 'Shift-Record" for arrangement record.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:53 am

isnt shift record already taken?

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:24 am

cyclicAMP wrote:I am really surprised that activating the arrangement record was not written into Push's script! How hard could that be??? And what an obvious part of a basic Live workflow. Build up a number of clips in session view, then record your performance of the clip launching into arrangement. Thats kind of shocking.
Yup. Way too many basic things were left out of Push, like loading audio samples, step sequencing regular MIDI clips, slicing to MIDI, add/removing warp markers, editing start/end points of unwarped audio clips, plugin automapping...etc.

halblaine

Post by halblaine » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 pm

blinkeye wrote:
cyclicAMP wrote:I am really surprised that activating the arrangement record was not written into Push's script! How hard could that be??? And what an obvious part of a basic Live workflow. Build up a number of clips in session view, then record your performance of the clip launching into arrangement. Thats kind of shocking.
Yup. Way too many basic things were left out of Push, like loading audio samples, step sequencing regular MIDI clips, slicing to MIDI, add/removing warp markers, editing start/end points of unwarped audio clips, plugin automapping...etc.
Will these things eventually be (easily) modded by the community? It's not quite clear to me to which degree the Push is open for modification... it seems to be programmed to be changed around but I can't tell, really. Fingers crossed for all sorts of user scripts in the future anyway.

Btw, you can still record into an arrangement from the Push, right? You just have to activate the recording from the computer?

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:16 pm

halblaine wrote:
blinkeye wrote:
Will these things eventually be (easily) modded by the community? It's not quite clear to me to which degree the Push is open for modification... it seems to be programmed to be changed around but I can't tell, really. Fingers crossed for all sorts of user scripts in the future anyway.
Not easily. In order to hack the Push, you'd have to use up the User Mode and program it in Max4Live (which not every Live user has) or Python programming language. And User Mode has limitations like not being able to update the display with custom text, and only sending out simple MIDI messages for the Push's encoders. You'd still need to program something with M4L or Python for anything more advanced. It doesn't help that Push has no editor, no ability to change the notes, no MIDI specification chart, and no ability to load templates. There are also physical limitations that no amount of hacking can fix such as the fact that Push's displays are only character displays, not graphical, with no way to show things like waveforms.

nbyte

Post by nbyte » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Btw, you can still record into an arrangement from the Push, right? You just have to activate the recording from the computer?
Yes - you can still record into arrangement if you activate the recording from the computer.

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 pm

lo.key wrote:isnt shift record already taken?
What is it used for?

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Oops...I didn't mean to set off the trolls. :oops:

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:17 pm

the push is a very open platform, though surprisingly undocumented. Remember that live itself allows a lot of midi configuration itself through midi effect chains. So without any access to m4l or python you can still make a great deal of modification to the kinds of messages that live sends.

max itself is quite straightforward, if you find yourself needing more elaborate customization; its well documented and easy to understand if you work through the introductory examples. You can grab control of individual components of the device (outside of user mode) and remap their functionality very easily. For example you could build a device which, when placed on a track, would remap control of the pads or the touchstrip or the encoders, and replace their functionality. As far as the display is concerned, its a matter of figuring out the sysex messages. Its limited to characters only, of course, but at least its addressable.

Now, ill freely admit im coming at this from a monome background, so perhaps the idea that piece of hardware should 'work' out of the box is one im less obsessed about, but if you step back from that idea, you'll recognize that what we have here is a easily modifiable set of tools, that come with a fairly elaborate demonstration set of applications with existing ties into the live software. But thats not where things end, its where they begin.

This is going to be fun.

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm

lo.key wrote: Now, ill freely admit im coming at this from a monome background, so perhaps the idea that piece of hardware should 'work' out of the box is one im less obsessed about, but if you step back from that idea, you'll recognize that what we have here is a easily modifiable set of tools, that come with a fairly elaborate demonstration set of applications with existing ties into the live software. But thats not where things end, its where they begin.

This is going to be fun.
Well said!

halblaine

Post by halblaine » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:55 pm

cyclicAmp wrote:There are also physical limitations that no amount of hacking can fix such as the fact that Push's displays are only character displays, not graphical, with no way to show things like waveforms.
Once people hack into it, I actually believe the character display could display a (very crude) waveform useful for chopping samples. Let's say the sample chopping begins where the second display column (ShprAmnt) begins.