Push and Native Instruments

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
lo.key

Re: Push and Native Instruments

Post by lo.key » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:05 am

well, i completely understand the linkage between design and performance. Its one thing for ableton to stick the most 'musical' of the parameters on the first bank of encoders, another to leave the control out entirely. Even if you have to tab through multiple pages of attributes, why would they not expose that particular parameter?

Or, at the very least, why is there not explicit documentation as to what parameters of lives native instruments are directly addressable from the device? That would seem like a fairly obvious thing to list out.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:35 am

lo.key wrote:Its one thing for ableton to stick the most 'musical' of the parameters on the first bank of encoders, another to leave the control out entirely. Even if you have to tab through multiple pages of attributes, why would they not expose that particular parameter?

Or, at the very least, why is there not explicit documentation as to what parameters of lives native instruments are directly addressable from the device? That would seem like a fairly obvious thing to list out.
It seems like Push is more of a curated product by Ableton with their suggested workflow of quickly "creating songs from scratch" based around choosing presets and scales. I guess they felt they could get away with leaving out certain controls since they knew M4L/python hacker types will come to the rescue anyway and provide other solutions.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:39 am

If you open the Help section in Live and go to midi controller references, there is a list of device control parameters with Best Of, and 8 page control for every device.

What is a nice surprise is, there seems to be the Best Of on the surface, and then going Into the device, you can jump to each appropriate page. They are even labelled. It is really one of the best applications I've ever used for device control.

The knobs still feel different from what I am used to. I like the APC ones and Novation Remote ones. The Push ones probably are great but, when you touch them and the meter pops up, it makes you hesitate haha. You aren't sure if Live is listening for movement, though it most likely is.

...and the Moment I am Not touching the knob, the meter disappears again. So I constantly feel hesitant haha

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:17 am

where is that list located? Sounds very handy...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:17 am

In Live, open Help. On the right side will be the Help pane. From there, it gets vague for me as I am not at my computer this second but, usually once you see a full list of topics, the MIDI Control Surface reference is at the bottom.

It offers a list of supported devices and then somewhere in there is a list of all the parameters and pages for blue hand control.

queglay

Post by queglay » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:08 am

http://audiomodder.myshopify.com/collec ... vst-bridge

I made this to help Ableton Push tackle VST's like Komplete and Maschine and a few others like Soundtoys and UAD plugins. Absynth is part of this and has some of its standard parameters mapped. Because of absynths parameters changing in their effectiveness from preset to preset, it's not quite as awesome as the other vst's with this implementation (like massive), but still its great to get to the presets from push and twiddle a few knobs for per step modulation without looking at the screen.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:07 am

Oh, I have you bookmarked.