White Led colors have different color tints/shades

Discuss Push with other users.
Robin Nixon

Re: White Led colors have different color tints/shades

Post by Robin Nixon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 pm

lyovino wrote:I'm glad I found this thread. I was beginning to think I had a defective device. My whites are slightly pink and one pad is more so that it's bothering the hell out of me. I was about to call for a return of the product but then I thought about it and quite possibly can get something worse back… :-) My thoughts are that it's probably just the design of the LEDs in each pad. It's probably nothing to worry about other than the visual…
Issue a trouble ticket. The more people that make Ableton aware of the problem, the greater the chance of them having to come up with an effective solution.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:24 am

I also contacted the store where I bought mine and told them of this issue with my Push. They told me that since I have 60 days to return it, if Ableton does not come up with a fix, then I can send it back for a full refund. So it's 55 days and counting, if there is a fix great, if not, then mine is going back until I can buy one with the confidence of none of these multi color issues.

AustinThumper

Post by AustinThumper » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:36 am

But it's well known that the off-white ones have the best tone.
Live 9.6 Suite / Max 7.2 / REAPER / Reaktor 6 / Win10 64bit / 4.2GHz i7 / 32GB DRAM / SSD / 828mk3 / 4 x HR824 / QX25 / HPD-15 / Sonor club kit / Mother-32 and a growing Eurorack.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:55 am

AustinThumper wrote:But it's well known that the off-white ones have the best tone.

And they blend better too!

I noticed in your sig, you have a Wavedrum, how do you like it? My main instrument is drums, then I play some guitar, and I play 'at' keyboard, to which I really suck. Anyway, I'm looking at the latest Wavedrum that Korg released to add by my Roland electric kit.

AustinThumper

Post by AustinThumper » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:22 am

re: korg wavedrum - it's fantastic, really. I had one of the original ones (paid 2500 us , sold it for a bit more) which was amazing, but the new one does much better, for much less. Its a great thing to have in your kit, its pretty easy to set up sounds for rim and head.. Great sounds. No Midi.

They send a physical drum head sensor into a very capable synthesis unit...

Play one at your local music store. You'll see.
Live 9.6 Suite / Max 7.2 / REAPER / Reaktor 6 / Win10 64bit / 4.2GHz i7 / 32GB DRAM / SSD / 828mk3 / 4 x HR824 / QX25 / HPD-15 / Sonor club kit / Mother-32 and a growing Eurorack.

Lemmike

Post by Lemmike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:38 am

This is apparently nothing to worry about, it's just the nature of the LEDs. I contacted support and this is the reply I got:

Thanks for contacting Ableton.

Regarding the LEDs, please understand that it is difficult to maintain perfectly consistent color across 64 pads.

We conducted extensive usability testing with Push, and found that the minor variances in brightness did not detract from Push's usability.

Additionally, please note that, due to the additive nature of RGB LEDs, variances in color may appear more pronounced when the LEDs are set to white.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again with further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Ed
Ableton Support

Robin Nixon

Post by Robin Nixon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Lemmike wrote:This is apparently nothing to worry about, it's just the nature of the LEDs. I contacted support and this is the reply I got:

Regarding the LEDs, please understand that it is difficult to maintain perfectly consistent color across 64 pads.

We conducted extensive usability testing with Push, and found that the minor variances in brightness did not detract from Push's usability.

Additionally, please note that, due to the additive nature of RGB LEDs, variances in color may appear more pronounced when the LEDs are set to white.

Best regards,

Ed
Ableton Support
So, how many times a day do you think they are copying and pasting that company line, instead of actively doing something about the problem, or even admitting it as such? I bet a large number of new users who do not use this forum will also have been in touch with Ableton about this.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Lemmike wrote:This is apparently nothing to worry about, it's just the nature of the LEDs. I contacted support and this is the reply I got:

Best regards,

Ed
Ableton Support

I just received the exact same response and I emailed them back with a few questions to see if they have any ideas for a fix.
I agree it is a great music tool, but it is a bit frustrating that this most likely occurred by cutting costs, or running low on a part and replacing it with another cheaper part, and if so it will cost them in the long run with returns and bad publicity. As I stated in another post, I have a 60 day return option where I bought mine, so Im undecided as a return and wait for the next batch. I also have one pre-ordered with another store, but they won't get theirs until the June shipment.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Robin Nixon wrote:
lyovino wrote:I'm glad I found this thread. I was beginning to think I had a defective device. My whites are slightly pink and one pad is more so that it's bothering the hell out of me. I was about to call for a return of the product but then I thought about it and quite possibly can get something worse back… :-) My thoughts are that it's probably just the design of the LEDs in each pad. It's probably nothing to worry about other than the visual…
Issue a trouble ticket. The more people that make Ableton aware of the problem, the greater the chance of them having to come up with an effective solution.
Done..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

ElectroClash

Post by ElectroClash » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi there! I have the same issue.
In particular I've tryed changing from "notes" mode to "Track mode" and assign the white colour to the same pad.
So, when i'm in the notes mode it is quite "lilac", when i change in track/session mode it become perfectly white.
The same all the time, also changing power supply..
The same pads have this issue.

I also received your mail and i asked a cash refund, but now i'm worry about to buy it again in an other shop...

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 pm

AustinThumper wrote:re: korg wavedrum - it's fantastic, really. I had one of the original ones (paid 2500 us , sold it for a bit more) which was amazing, but the new one does much better, for much less. Its a great thing to have in your kit, its pretty easy to set up sounds for rim and head.. Great sounds. No Midi.

They send a physical drum head sensor into a very capable synthesis unit...

Play one at your local music store. You'll see.
Great, thanks!

Bobbyandreano

Post by Bobbyandreano » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 am

Separate from the challenges with displaying clean whites, I hope we can work out an improvement at least on the Session View side of all this. Not all of the clip colors translate well to the Push pads in Session View.

My suggestion is to provide additional option in Live to allow us to create a 'favorites' group of clip colors from within the 40 clip color chooser and then allow constraint of the automatic color selection to this group when new clips are created. After some testing (and in my opinion only) Push's LEDs can replicate about 18 of the 40 available clip colors fairly well while providing a fair range of colors across the spectrum. I would like to be able to constrain the auto coloring to these 18 preselected favorites only.

Along with this it would be helpful if the favorites were displayed say below the complete matrix of 40 in the color chooser. Then visually the favorites are separated out so you can manually pick from them more readily. Perhaps provide something similar in the other color chooser areas.

Robin Nixon

Post by Robin Nixon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm

lyovino wrote:
Robin Nixon wrote:
Done..
Well done.

I simply couldn't use my Push as I had real difficulty telling the off-whites from the blues, so it's now been returned for a refund. In it's place I've ordered one of these:

http://www.c-thru-music.com/cgi/?page=home

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:54 pm

I like the concept on that thing as far as the key layout. Here's a pretty funny video on "hacking" aftertouch onto the thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiykoEXxBEE

featherodd

Post by featherodd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Same pad issue. About a 50/50 split between pads with a slightly green off white vs slightly red off whites. That said, Push is such an such an incredibly intuitive controller and such blast to play with that I didn't even notice the issue till I read this thread. And now that I'm staring at it, I guess you could see it as annoying.. but it also adds a bit of character and texture to the note mode. And at least on mine Push, it really does not seem to be too noticeable in other modes, just a slight variance between hues that is not interfering with with the specific colours Ableton is trying to convey.