White Led colors have different color tints/shades

Discuss Push with other users.
flocked

White Led colors have different color tints/shades

Post by flocked » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi,

I received my Push and it is awesome. But strangely the white leds have different color tints/shades. Take a look at the picture:

Is this normal? They are all white clips but they have different tints/shades on my Push.

It isn't only the case with the white colors, but also with the other ones. But you can't see it so clearly.
Last edited by flocked on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randallp

Re: White Led colors have different color tones

Post by randallp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Me too - I'm guessing this might be normal as the white is (I presume) a combination of (presumably) a red, green and blue LED under the pad, all being lit together. Mine looks pretty well the same as your pic. Of course, we'll only be happy if everybody else's is the same.. :roll:
http://www.iam-pcr.com
Live 9, Push, MountainLion

guillaume82

Post by guillaume82 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Same here.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:20 pm

i didn't see that in mine, but I only had it hooked up for 20 minuets in a brightly lit office so it's hard to say.

do you see that in every mode that has white pads?

flocked

Post by flocked » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 pm

doc holiday wrote:i didn't see that in mine, but I only had it hooked up for 20 minuets in a brightly lit office so it's hard to say.

I see it on every mode.

@all: do you have the exact same color tints/shades on the same pads?

randallp

Post by randallp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 pm

flocked wrote: @all: do you have the exact same color tints/shades on the same pads?
If you mean are my "off-whites" in the same places as yours in the pic? No, they aren't.
http://www.iam-pcr.com
Live 9, Push, MountainLion

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 pm

flocked wrote:
doc holiday wrote:i didn't see that in mine, but I only had it hooked up for 20 minuets in a brightly lit office so it's hard to say.

I see it on every mode.

@all: do you have the exact same color tints/shades on the same pads?
I'll check it out if the ever let us outta here!

Silicium

Re: White Led colors have different color tints/shades

Post by Silicium » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:51 am

count me in.

this could have reasons, first: the used two different RGB LEDs (maybe cheaper)
but i think thats not the reason, this would be very sad for ableton and for akai too
if they using different LEDs because of the price, and put both types in the same device.

the other reason is, if course there is no real white, white will be mixed from red green and blue.
for just one LED its simple to mix but if you have 80 LEDs you have to multiplex and you need
PWM to make that cool fading effect or even just adjust the brightness of the LED
(PWM means shortly, turning the LED off and on i a very fast frequency. the more ON phases
you have the brighter the led will be)

in the end for coding, its somehow difficult to implement with RGB LED's sine you have to calculate
the ON/OFF for the specific target color and for each color the LED provide (RGB).
easy for one LED but if you multiplex them you have multiple LEDs on some kind of a bus
and then you might have to put those data into registers (maybe flipflops?) and and with
that you need a extremly fast I/O Port on the CPU and you have to calculat the whole matrix for each
color and this is different when you are fading or choose another color on just one button.

so however, thats a possible theory but when i put all LEDs to white i still have this problem.
Might be a firmware issue (hopefully)

but anyhow, sad to see that ableton put cheap RGB LEDs into push instead of better ones which have a own LED for white.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:57 am

Now that I'm home I'm also in. Under the bright lighting in the office they all appeared white, now home in my studio in more natural light I have the faint colors showing randomly as well.

I'll post a pick after this jam session...

Silicium

Post by Silicium » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 am

doc holiday wrote:Now that I'm home I'm also in. Under the bright lighting in the office they all appeared white, now home in my studio in more natural light I have the faint colors showing randomly as well.

I'll post a pick after this jam session...
phew, we are lucky then and hope for a firmware issue :)

[art]

Post by [art] » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:51 am

makes me think push wont be any fun if an led dies huh?

Silicium

Post by Silicium » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:39 am

seems to only blue color led is affected but since blue colored LED on some pads is not bright enough,
they will appear in light red or green. you can verify that when you set the pads color to Red Green or Blue.

this is a common problem of blue LEDs, however gettin white color our of an RGB LED is somewhat impossible.
the only way to solve this is by adding white LEDs or as a workaround make each pad adjustable, like
manually adjust white for each pad and use them as reference.

however, its not a firmware issue, otherwise you should be able to see that like each row is different
or getting more red to the right side. also the differences on my push are not the same as on the picture posted.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 am

my greyscale monome had a similar colour variation, ive just learned to live with it. unless you obsess over it, it just fades from awareness. but ive been meaning to fiddle with the python script to rework the colour scheme anyways. its -useful- to have white, but its not necessary. im looking forward to experimenting :]
ps, do you folk find any difference with the power adaptor in?

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 am

same here....none of them are "pure white"

very light pinkish and greenish gray here...doesnt both me that much...all the solid colors look pretty sweet though

JimConley

Post by JimConley » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 pm

How much of a difference in color brightness/accuracy on the pads does plugging in the DC adapter make?