Push Questions about MIDI Channels and Preferences options?

Discuss Push with other users.
Asymmetricalmusic

Push Questions about MIDI Channels and Preferences options?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:48 am

So I just got push

I'm really looking forward to hot swapping my own drum racks I've built in Live 7.

I've got L9 going strong, I got push loading and working,

I have not tried it on my Live set, I'm hoping to get to the studio and give it a go tomorrow. I'm using an APC40 (MIDI Ch1-9) and outboard synth (MIDI Ch 10-16)

Im scared cause I noticed my push using all MIDI channels without having used "user Mode" I have NOT custom mapped the PUSH but I did custom map the APC 40.

i only want to use Push to hot swap drum kits without looking at the laptop. It'd be really cool to use the scale mode to play my outboard synths too, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Can anyone tell me do I need to be concerned about the setting in Ableton's preferences.

I noticed in L9 Preferences under the "MIDI" tab

will I need to mess with the "Control Surface input and output" drop down menu's, I noticed a Live Port and user Port options. What's the difference?

Thanks

lo.key

Re: Push Questions about MIDI Channels and Preferences options?

Post by lo.key » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:56 pm

the live port is the port that the push python script communicates over, just select it in the control surface dialog and you should be good to go. The python script is the intermediary, you dont need to worry about it interfering with your existing channel routing.

The user mode sends and receives midi straight from live, its there for providing alternative input/output that bypasses the existing scripts, so you can write your own or use it without ableton. For what you're talking about doing, the existing live python script will do fine, dont worry.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks tons

I owe you a case of beer at least!

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 pm

any time ;D