How I want to use Push.

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
Asymmetricalmusic

How I want to use Push.

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:53 am

For what it's worth........

i just got Push

everything about it sez how to build beats from scratch. Well I've all ready made my beats before I got push, now I want to use Push to perform them live. I'm running into a few problems but i thought it would be helpful to write here in more depth how I want to use the Push

I'm going for a "I don't ever have to look at a screen ever on stage" set-up with that in mind I've worked it out without Push but Push could really allow me to take the next step.

I'm using

Mac Mini i5 2.5 ghz 4 gig of ram
Live 9.0.2 standard 32 bit
Osx 10.8.3

My Ableton set runs out an Audio DJ10 to an Allen and Heath Xone 92 Mixer

I use Live as a drum machine (Master sync) and I run a MicroKorg and three Kaoscilators. (slave sync'd) I'm doing an all live loops style improvise electronic jazz set.

I use an APC40 to capture audio loops from the outboard gear and to trigger MIDI patterns for two drum racks.

I want to hot swap drum racks with Push and use Push's note mode to play the Microkorg as well as Live's instruments.

I've been looking around and the best info that I can find is that Push in Native mode (Not User Mode) would talk to live outside the normal MIDI channels. I remapped alot of the APC40. it uses MIDI channels 1-9 and I'm using a Novation Remote SL25 to play the Microkorg and change presets of the Kaoscilator pro. MIDI Channels 10-16.

Also.....

I'm a Live 7 user. I never made to leap to 8 until now when i got L9, so all my set originate in L7. I've got my live set (without Push) up and working in L9 without and hang-ups. Super stoked about that!

Am I way off thinking I can incorporate Push or in Push strictly for creating from scratch?

I planned to take the drum racks I've made in Live 7 and collect and save them in L9. Will this add those samples to L9's library and add to the browser "Drum Rack" to where I can hot swap "My Own" drum racks. It seem like this would be pretty standard but I though I'd write about it cause I'm starting to have my doubts after my first impressions with Push.

I welcome any questions to clarify and any comments. I'll post some video's of my live set-up soon.

I hope this helps shape Push into the best thing to happen to music in general in the last ten years.

Push is fun to use but I'd like to use it in my already envisioned set-up.

Thanks Ableton.

humnumb

Re: How I want to use Push.

Post by humnumb » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:32 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:I'm going for a "I don't ever have to look at a screen ever on stage" set-up with that in mind I've worked it out without Push but Push could really allow me to take the next step.
Why not just go for Maschine and be done with it since it already lets you have a fully mouseless workflow without having to look at the computer screen and still integrates seamlessly with Live?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnP1RM788Z4&t=03m11s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WcbjOm1uhY&t=02m55s

Push isn't going to allow for what you want as a lot of the basic things were left out of Push, like browsing clips, loading audio samples, activating record in arrangement view, step sequencing regular MIDI clips, slicing to MIDI, add/removing warp markers, editing start/end points of unwarped audio clips, plugin automapping, accessing Drum Rack sends and mixer, and not even having access to all parameters of their own devices...etc.

Also, even though Maschine already allows you to control both its own software and Live without looking at the computer screen (and you can quickly switch between Maschine mode and MIDI control mode from the controller), you can go even further and control virtually all aspects of the computer just from the Maschine hardware, even for things like launching and quitting Maschine/Live software, switching applications...etc.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ipTX7M0Vo

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:03 am

@asym, that sounds like a good setup in the making, where are you finding stumbling blocks? that all sounds possible to me...

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Well I know it's gonna take some trial and error. I hope this discussion is part of that.

the first stumbling block I'm running into and is assuming the new browser would be fully searchable on the Push. Fact is it's not. Like all my experiences I had a vision, and thought "hey this gonna be it" and am disappointed to find that it's not the case.

I'd really love to be able to set up custom folders and have Push give me all the info on the it's screen

I'd be nice to see a L9/Push tutorial on how it make it "Your own" by that I mean deleting presets you don't like, tweaking and saving the one's you do, Where they are stored in the library......

How about a tutorial on how the new Collect and save thing works. When I open L7 project in L9. I'm super scared I'll be doubling my used space on my HD by having to Collect and Save when I open a old project in L9.

I placed to "L8" library as my L7 library, Now I have a factory library AND a different User Library.

I understand the factory library cannot be changed. Well then I don't use it at all. If do open a device and change and "hotswap save" (the little icon on the title bar of the device). it's now it the L9 user library. I can load it from Push BUT it's on the bottom of the list of thing. Can I get rid of the presets now? and have it only list the ones I want to see.

Correct me if I'm wrong but now I have three libraries. Factory or Core Library, User Lib and my old L7 library.

With my workflow doesn't mean that if I created a project in L7 and I want to play and hotswap in L9. I'll have the same samples saved in L9 User library as L7 library.

for me I want a push that is ALL mine. every option displays what I want, not factory presets.

Also

I can't tell you how many times I've use "Packs" cause I NEVER do.

the grand piano is the only pack I'm using

I hate the concept of buying "add on packs" which if not mistaken is gonna be a big part of Ableton from now on.

so it goes

Ableton rocks I just wish L9 and Push where more customizable cause that's the thing Ableton always worked prior to L7, it was always "how do YOU use Ableton" now it seems to be "YOU have to use it like this"