Erasing notes and selecting parts of a clip

Discuss Push with other users.
djadonis206

Erasing notes and selecting parts of a clip

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Curious. I'm building long drum sequences.

I'd like to copy the clip and erase certain notes. Do I have to select every loop section and delete the note or is there a way (button combination) to erase a specific note all at once? Please tell me there is.

Also

I'd like to step sequence in some drum breaks between bars 8 and 9 of a drum sequence. Right now, I have to select that part of the sequence and step sequence it in. Can I select a section while preserving the length of the whole sequence? In other words, I don't want to turn a 8 bar loop into a 1 bar loop just to edit one part. This sort f's with the flow.

Thanks
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Erasing notes and selecting parts of a clip

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm

The erase notes is possible I copied some info I got up here to my own notes.

These are not my word........Thanks goes to Because789

Just for the record, some stuff you ask for in section 3 is already possible (9.0.2):

>- Delete a clip while in session view: SELECT(hold) + click clip pad, SELECT(hold) + DELETE)

Possible: DELETE (hold) + press clip

>- Clip copy pasting in session view: SELECT(hold) + click clip pad for source, SELECT(hold) + DUPLICATE, click clip pad for destination

You cannot choose the destination, but you can copy a clip by pressing DUPLICATE (I'm sure you are aware of that). But it is odd that the clip needs to be playing for this to work. When in session view you can select a clip by SELECT (hold) + press clip. If you then press DUPLICATE the clip which is playing gets duplicated. If there is none playing you end up with an empty clip slot. Not the behaviour I would expect. (Edit: tested in Clip Workflow, at least there I would expect you can duplicate a clip which is selected but not playing.)

>- Delete a device (audio or midi effect): in DEVICE view, SELECT(hold) + click on track column selector, SELECT(hold) + DELETE

Possible: DELETE (hold) + press device selection button ("Selection Control" row)

>- Delete a track while in TRACK view

Possible: DELETE (hold) + press track selection button

>- Ability to duplicate a track! (SELECT(hold) + push a bank selector button corresponding to the track, push Duplicate)

Possible: DUPLICATE (hold) + press track selection button

(DUPLICATE (hold) + press device selection button doesn't work in device view, which seems a bit odd)

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up, this is great to know :) Unfortunately I didn't see anything in there about erasing midi notes in the step sequencer :(
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm

When the note is lite in the Sequence

say kick on the 1

can't you just press that lit first button to erase it.

Sorry not at my studio to check this out

Edit: I see know your trying to erase all snare notes across all the sixteen bar......Sorry I was confused.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:05 pm

True, what I wrote there doesn't fit very well as an answer to you questions :-)

I see what you would like to do but couldn't find a quick solution. My intuition was:

DELETE (hold) + drum rack pad
or
DELETE (hold) + sequencer pad (to delete all the notes in the loop)
and
SELECTE (hold) + loop segment (to edit a segment while the whole loop keeps on playing)

But it doesn't work like this. I guess you got a feature request.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:25 pm

That's what I figured. Even though I new to Push, I'm still about 50/50 with using my computer and Push. So highlighting notes I don't want on the computer is no problem.

I was just hoping we could do this from the hardware. Yup, feature request!

Yeah, Asym...my intuition is to hold Delete and select the note while the sequencer is playing to remove all notes. Yeah, that doesn't work. Bummer

Thanks
Ableton | Elektron

Music