How to make custom categories in Browser's Drum Hits!!

Discuss Push with other users.
whatisvalis

Re: How to make custom categories in Browser's Drum Hits!!

Post by whatisvalis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Tutorial on that style of browser organization would be really appreciated, keeping an eye out. Thanks!

Dchild

Post by Dchild » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:48 am

Hey djlimbs thanks for all your efforts :)

Waiting eagerly for the tutorial.

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:32 am

I just finished writing the tutorial and submitted it. Here's a preview of how the Browser works when it's setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH8Dn3gDy-I

The tutorial should be posted soon! If you're in a rush, you can download the BrowserComponent.py file here and throw it in the Push Remote Script folder: http://earhumps.com/transfer/BrowserComponent.py

Have fun

f45

Post by f45 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:32 am

looks good! lovin the sirens in the background! 8)

Disfigurine

Post by Disfigurine » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:36 pm

djlimbs wrote:
Asymmetricalmusic wrote:
blinkeye wrote:I don't understand why they couldn't just have it all work out of the box with multiple levels of tags like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8bsWEWt0A
I'm not into that workflow.........

I really cant understand why it doesn't follow the new Browser, in the order of the new "Categories" and "Places"

There should even be a mirror of the browser activity in L9 on your computer.

For example: cant we have the browser change focus when you press buttons on the push. "Folder into" button (Current Green Button) would choose the folder and the focus of the browser on the computer would show the same, you could make the button under the green "Select" button be a "Folder Back" button to take you back to the new "Categories" as the base of the browser.

There's even a Samples Folder in Categories. I seriously put my money on this being the way Push would work, very harsh reality to find it's not.
Yea - it's weird because when I go into "Samples" on Push, it's able to display the folder the "One Shot" or "Samples" are in...I'll see sub-categories like "Conant Gardens" or "Dark Pressure" which I know I didn't create. So that means Ableton's able to directly access the filesystem on Push. Why not just keep it simple and have a "Browse disk" option?!
Slightly off topic... But how are you able to use maschine kits with drum rack?

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Disfigurine wrote:
Slightly off topic... But how are you able to use maschine kits with drum rack?
They're just wav files so I just put the folder in my Places

queglay

Post by queglay » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:00 pm

nice work djimbs.

I've been working on batch converting all my NI presets into instrument racks using keyboard maestro. So far i have all my kontakt multis as instrument rack presets. im hoping your hack could be applied there for subcategories on the instrument racks too. currently they are all under 'other' which bites.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

queglay

Post by queglay » Sat May 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Here's a video I made on how to batch every vst preset including kontakt, reaktor and all the NI synth banks into the push browser. DJ limbs tutorial is essential before attempting this.

Browsing all VST presets on Ableton Push and How to Batch Convert-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MRT78bOt0

I have about 8000 NI presets browsable and arranged on Push now and its working very well.
Make sure you configure the vst before you do your batch! otherwise youll have to do it everytime you load.

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Wed May 15, 2013 8:48 pm

scientist wrote: yeah. for anyone (like me) who uses the browsers in maschine, kontakt, omnisphere, et.al. on the regular, this just seems half-baked and shoddy. funniest thing to me is that i thought the previous browser sucked too, and that they put so much work into the new one and it turned out the way it did is just ridiculous. having your users hacking a config file in order to get some basic functionality out of your new flagship hardware is just embarrassing.
So sad, yet so true.

queglay

Post by queglay » Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 pm

i couldn't get maschine to browse by vst as a category, and i couldn't browse for specific kontakt stuff easily. i also couldn't batch every single non ni vst into kontakt. im happier if i can have something i have more control over.

the earliest cutting edge music producers were innovators. they use things not even designed to make music. im greatful we have the ability to dive in and do these things.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:38 pm

queglay wrote:i couldn't get maschine to browse by vst as a category, and i couldn't browse for specific kontakt stuff easily.
You can save plugins as Maschine modules and organize with tags.

ZALTA19900

Post by ZALTA19900 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Great tip, thanks very much for this.

fabricedegraef

Post by fabricedegraef » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi. Interestingly enough is that when trying to edit the VirtualFolders.cfg for 2-3 times ( but for some reasons I wasn't able to reproduce that "mistake" the factory organisation got replaced but a clean mirror of what is in my Presets folder: I could litterally remame every thing from the Finder or from Live and it was displayed instantly on Push. The first column is the "Instrument" folder so I could browse I my all Presets.
Any one had got the same experience? and if possible, could explain how it is possible to recreate that?

Btw, in L9.0.5 the first column of the push browser has the "Place" folder in it. But the 3 columns depth of the Push brother couldn't let me access the files...