How to make custom categories in Browser's Drum Hits!!

Discuss Push with other users.
queglay

Re: How to make custom categories in Browser's Drum Hits!!

Post by queglay » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:13 am

I've created a VST Bridge for push. So far there are at least 10,000 Komplete presets browsable on push with my kit. It is possible to do it all yourself, but I figure I'm saving people a lot of time with this. It took me a few months to do so I'm selling it for $20. I plan on bringing other popular vst's in there if there is enough demand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEhHCxqo5X8
www.AudioModder.com
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Does this require any hacked browser scripts? Or, does it work with the defaults provided by Ableton?

Also, can you please explain the installation procedures?

Thanks

queglay

Post by queglay » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:56 pm

The osx installation asks the user where their Ableton application and user paths reside. It installs a script into that app location, and copies the browser presets into the user library. I verify compatibility with new live versions when they come out.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Is this a script you wrote, or is it a mod of Ableton's? I wouldn't want to rely on you to fix your mod scripts when/if Ableton makes a breaking change. Would this need to be reinstalled each time Ableton updates are installed? Also, is it possible to just unpack and install the presets to our liking, without using your scripts?

queglay

Post by queglay » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:20 am

Yes, I wrote the script to add the same categories used by other popular synths to sort them out. if you reinstall ableton you would have to reinstall the scripts.

It is possible for you to copy those presets in without any modifications, but you wouldn't have a logical method of seperating the thousands of presets easily with push's default script, since Ableton don't allow us to setup subcategories of instrument racks by default.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Got it. Your work is impressive. So, don't take my questions and feature requests the wrong way. :)

Feature requests:

1. Provide an alternative set of your presets, which are grouped into one master folder, which separate out subfolders per each NI instrument, which have subfolders that place the presets into Ableton's categories. That would allow for not using the hacked script file. And, users could drop that master folder into their user library. I already organize my NI presets this way, but I have only saved a few. Users could browse the NI presets by Ableton's categories. E.g.: NI Instruments->Massive->Bass

2. Provide an alternative set of your presets, which are grouped into one master folder, which separate out subfolders per each NI instrument, which have subfolders that place the presets into NI's categories. That would allow for not using the hacked script file. And, users could drop that master folder into their user library. Users would not be able to browse by Ableton's catgories, but they would be able to traverse the NI category folders by browsing the user library. E.g.: NI Instruments->Massive-><Some NI category>

queglay

Post by queglay » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 pm

I'll look into this, thank's for the suggestions! I've just pm'd you, would be great to figure more details.

queglay

Post by queglay » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:14 pm

I tried doing no mods to lives 9.0.5 files (just did a straight reinstall) with the AudioModder VST Bridge and it works. I hadn't caught that they added the "places" category at the end of the list, with multiple levels of subfolders and all. So yes, doing this you give up the ability to browse by type/genre for all synths at once (ableton's genres wont fit the NI schema). But we still gain the ability to browse by synth, then by type/genre, and then our presets so long as the paths exist in places. that's even better. I think that will work well, I just need to rename those folders so they are sorted correctly in the places tab after installation.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:28 pm

That's fabulous. My $20 is ready and waiting. :wink:

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Also, you should join up in this thread, where they're talking about similar: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194622&p=1544763#p1544763

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:18 am

login wrote:IN the main music production forum there was a long post about the browser, how to use it and how to add categories.
Link?

Its not the reeeeeeally long one: 'Browser Nightmare!' - or something similar.

I'm a bit hesitant to try all these hacks for the browser/library - isn't there every chance that a new Live update will break it all?

8O

queglay

Post by queglay » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:07 am

It's not necessary to hack the browser anymore with places in 9.0.5.

If you want to navigate to places quickly on push there's a very simple hack the just involves moving a folder (easily reversible). It changes the locations of a few things, and makes places the 4th slot down on the push LCD.

thegoodsirjames

Post by thegoodsirjames » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:15 am

Hi queglay
This looks really interesting and I am about to buy your bridge. However can I check a couple of things first - sorry if the questions are basic:

1. I have Live on 2 macbooks and an Imac - do I need to buy your software 3 times? Fair enough if so I guess, - just checking.
2. Is it simple to install on a mac for someone like me who is not a tech genius? Does it come with instructions?
3. Although I like Maschine I find it quite tiresome using it with Live. From what I've seen of your video, I might not have to use the Maschine hardware again as I'll be able to get most of the functionality using Komplete with Push and your bridge. Is this correct or are there still some good reasons to hook Maschine Hardware up with Live as well as Push and the bridge?

Thanks mate - really looking forward to using your stuff

queglay

Post by queglay » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:18 am

Big update today-

Maschine Kits are more tightly integrated into Live with preconfigured effects routing on 16 chains for all rack presets.

I have a drum chain mod effects rack that can be added to any maschine sound layer now by using these chains. It's great for gating, crushing, delays, and filters.

To answer your other questions sirjames,
1. You are welcome to put those presets on any computer you own by purchasing one licence as long as its for one person.
2. There is an install process (for lion and mountain lion), and a manual installation guide for those that want to know a bit more about whats going on. Reading the guide is highly recommended.
3. It is possible to browse Maschine kits without the hardware attached. There's no macros for groups on maschine. You add Live's effects racks now in the chains for great control on any Layer. Maschine and Push have a place in the studio together- Because 2 people can be producing at the same time. 1 user with Maschine and the other user on the screen/with Push.

thegoodsirjames

Post by thegoodsirjames » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:49 am

That's great thank you. I have installed on one computer so far and am loving it - it has solved a lot of headaches for me. Just one thing: on my laptop there seems to be a small issue whereby for NI racks Live has to automatically search for the Maschine samples and I have to point it to the new Samples folder each time I load one up (ie the Ableton one). it's not really a problem as it finds and installs quickly and then (I think) you just do this once for each drum rack and hopefully the next time I use Live it won't ask me again. This may well be something I have done wrong or some weird config I had before I installed it. Anyway, like I say, I am loving this and it is well worth the money for all your time and effort. I recommend to anyone who wants to enjoy using NI sounds through Push.