Multiple shades of gray/white

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
Disfigurine
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by Disfigurine » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Agreed. Im not waiting around on $600 to see if they can figure it out. Back to Guitar Center it goes!

donmich
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by donmich » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Robin Nixon wrote:I got this slightly more detailed response from Ableton (emphasis mine):
Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to communicate with us about Push.
Regarding the LEDs, please understand that it is difficult maintain perfectly consistent brightness across 64 pads.
We conducted extensive usability testing with Push, and found that the minor variances in brightness did not detract from Push's usability.
Additionally, please note that, due to the nature of RGB LEDs, variances in color may appear more pronounced when the LEDs are set to white.
We are investigating ways to re-calibrate the LEDs via the firmware but we cannot promise that this will be implemented.
We will of course notify you of any changes.
Jeez. 8O
Thinking Im going to pass for a while. Hopefully the store will refund my down payment.

Dillinger63
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 am

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by Dillinger63 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Robin Nixon wrote:By the way, here's what my Push looks like for anyone interested:

Image
Mine is bad, but not that bad.

karlfranz
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:35 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by karlfranz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Wow. I must have been really lucky. I only have one pad that is slightly pink. All the others are white.

panten
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: South of London

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by panten » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Dillinger63 wrote:
Robin Nixon wrote:By the way, here's what my Push looks like for anyone interested:

Image
Mine is bad, but not that bad.
If the saturation hasn't been messed with in that image then that's shocking. Mine shows only slight variation, but if the range was as bad as that image I'd be asking for my money back.

humnumb
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by humnumb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Robin Nixon wrote:It's perfectly easy to get good quality RGB LED sets with almost no colour variation - I have plenty of devices that have multiple buttons that display colours all the same with no perceptible variations. The Push, however, looks like a patchwork quilt of colours.

This is the same thinking that stops Ableton from allowing the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out in arrangement view. In their opinion pressing [+] and [-] is perfectly good so they won't bother adding it, even though it's surely only a few hours work to make thousands of users happy.

Sadly my high hopes for the Push are dashed and I'm now going to begin transitioning away from Ableton. I have new high hopes for a certain newer product due out soon...
It is strange that other controllers with RGB pads like Maschine MKII, Traktor F1, Livid OhmRGB...etc. do not have this issue at all. Whose decision was it to use low grade RGB LEDs on Push? Akai or Ableton? My bet is on Akai...

Dillinger63
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 am

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by Dillinger63 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:18 am

humnumb wrote:
Robin Nixon wrote:It's perfectly easy to get good quality RGB LED sets with almost no colour variation - I have plenty of devices that have multiple buttons that display colours all the same with no perceptible variations. The Push, however, looks like a patchwork quilt of colours.

This is the same thinking that stops Ableton from allowing the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out in arrangement view. In their opinion pressing [+] and [-] is perfectly good so they won't bother adding it, even though it's surely only a few hours work to make thousands of users happy.

Sadly my high hopes for the Push are dashed and I'm now going to begin transitioning away from Ableton. I have new high hopes for a certain newer product due out soon...
It is strange that other controllers with RGB pads like Maschine MKII, Traktor F1, Livid OhmRGB...etc. do not have this issue at all. Whose decision was it to use low grade RGB LEDs on Push? Akai or Ableton? My bet is on Akai...
You bring up a great point, so what is the issue? For a $600.00 selling price, I hope they didn't cut corners to save a few bucks.

humnumb
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by humnumb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:33 am

Dillinger63 wrote:
humnumb wrote:It is strange that other controllers with RGB pads like Maschine MKII, Traktor F1, Livid OhmRGB...etc. do not have this issue at all. Whose decision was it to use low grade RGB LEDs on Push? Akai or Ableton? My bet is on Akai...
You bring up a great point, so what is the issue? For a $600.00 selling price, I hope they didn't cut corners to save a few bucks.
Yeah, I just don't think Ableton would willingly do something like that, although you never know since they are a business after all and at a crucial juncture on the overall outlook of their company. Akai, on the other hand, have a long track record of cutting corners on their harware to save a few bucks, and then when it leads to a crisis of malfunctioning hardware, instead of doing a recall/return/refund or anything like that, their solution is to just make the customers repurchase a fixed version...

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:09 am

humnumb wrote: It is strange that other controllers with RGB pads like Maschine MKII, Traktor F1, Livid OhmRGB...etc. do not have this issue at all. Whose decision was it to use low grade RGB LEDs on Push? Akai or Ableton? My bet is on Akai...
why? APC40 is listed on Akai's website but PUSH is not. It's on Ableton's. So that means..
Image

agent314
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by agent314 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 am

My white pads have a decent amount of brightness/hue variation and I like it. It makes my Push unique. The only time it comes into play is in note mode, and in that case I only care if it's Blue, Not-Blue, or Off.

I actually think it's cool that there's so much variety to them. It's not like every cherry burst Les Paul looks the same, and that's part of the charm.

When it starts to present a serious usability issue, I'll change my tune. Otherwise, I think it's a neat distinguishing feature.

agent314
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by agent314 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:25 am

Also:

Agreed. Im not waiting around on $600 to see if they can figure it out. Back to Guitar Center it goes!
LOL.

"The buttons are NOT all the same color! SEND IT BACK!"

humnumb
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by humnumb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 am

Robin Nixon wrote:By the way, here's what my Push looks like for anyone interested:

Image
That's horrid.

panten
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: South of London

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by panten » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 am

I have a feeling someone's been tinkering around in Photoshop :)

Robin Nixon
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by Robin Nixon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 am

panten wrote:
Dillinger63 wrote:
Robin Nixon wrote:By the way, here's what my Push looks like for anyone interested:

Image
Mine is bad, but not that bad.
If the saturation hasn't been messed with in that image then that's shocking. Mine shows only slight variation, but if the range was as bad as that image I'd be asking for my money back.
To account for using a cheap camera the saturation was pushed a little until both the monitor I was using and the device right next to it looked the same as each other.

panten
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: South of London

Re: Multiple shades of gray/white

Post by panten » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 am

Then that is indeed pretty shocking. I wonder what the official Ableton word is on this?
Is this extreme case a one off?
Also to the guys who have a slight variation in hue, ask yourself this.

1. Does it tint your sound?
2. Does it detract from physically playing the controller? i.e do you hit the wrong notes/clips because of..
3. Am I worried about being bullied in the playground by other MIDI controllers?
4. Will the LED variations get worse over time to the point where I can answer yes to the above 3 questions?

If the answer is yes to any of these then I'd ask for my money back.

Post Reply