User colors on your Push!!!

Discuss Push with other users.
StarcAt

User colors on your Push!!!

Post by StarcAt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi, I've found a way to tweak colors on Push. All that you need is create a file in your text editor, copy/paste code from here https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive9_R ... Default.py save it as SkinDefault.py in your /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Push (this is for Mac, i'm not sure where it's in Windows). After, you just edit this file with colors that you like. Each time when you make any changes in it you have to restart ableton to make them visible. That's what i did at first with mine to get rid of bad led calibration.Image
And remember, I'm not responsible if something would happen with your device :D
Btw, who knows a way how I can decompile other Push's python scripts? I'm really new to it.

lo.key

Re: User colors on your Push!!!

Post by lo.key » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 am

nice scheme! I'm definitely looking forward to playing with mine whenever it gets here ;D

there's a git repository for the existing scripts...

https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive9_RemoteScripts

julien bayle is somewhat of the authority on this at the moment...

http://julienbayle.net/ableton-live-9-m ... e-scripts/

Robin Nixon

Post by Robin Nixon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Having played with these colors in the Python script at https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive9_R ... Default.py I can report that you can choose from (at least) the following, by applying them to the Instrument class:

YELLOW, YELLOW.shade(1), YELLOW.shade(2)
WHITE, WHITE.shade(1), WHITE.shade(2)
RED, RED.shade(1), RED.shade(2)
GREEN, GREEN.shade(1), GREEN.shade(2)
MAGENTA, MAGENTA.shade(1), MAGENTA.shade(1)
AMBER, AMBER.shade(1), AMBER.shade(2)
OCEAN, OCEAN.shade(1), OCEAN.shade(2)
BLACK

The .shade(1) and .shade(2) extensions seem to set the colours to about 1/2 and 1/4 intensity respectively. The trouble is many of these colours are unusable due to the random variations, which appear to affect only the blue LEDs - any colours using either the green or red LEDs seem to be uniform across all buttons.

My guess is that there was a faulty batch of blue LEDs and consequently I can't find a color scheme that's not garish, as blue is the coolest colour of the three.

So my Push is being returned in the morning as I highly doubt these LEDs are individually addressable to the point of being able to adjust small colour differences. I suspect only much large colour changes are possible.

I'll wait until version 2 comes out.

StarcAt

Post by StarcAt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks for links dude, it's seems that push is extremely customizable device, which is awesome)
lo.key wrote:YELLOW, YELLOW.shade(1), YELLOW.shade(2)
WHITE, WHITE.shade(1), WHITE.shade(2)
RED, RED.shade(1), RED.shade(2)
GREEN, GREEN.shade(1), GREEN.shade(2)
MAGENTA, MAGENTA.shade(1), MAGENTA.shade(1)
AMBER, AMBER.shade(1), AMBER.shade(2)
OCEAN, OCEAN.shade(1), OCEAN.shade(2)
BLACK
You missed some colors in your list, here is the full list
BLACK = RgbColor(0)
DARK_GREY = RgbColor(1)
GREY = RgbColor(2)
WHITE = RgbColor(3)
RED = RgbColor(5)
AMBER = RgbColor(9)
YELLOW = RgbColor(13)
LIME = RgbColor(17)
GREEN = RgbColor(21)
SPRING = RgbColor(25)
TURQUOISE = RgbColor(29)
CYAN = RgbColor(33)
SKY = RgbColor(37)
OCEAN = RgbColor(41)
BLUE = RgbColor(45)
ORCHID = RgbColor(49)
MAGENTA = RgbColor(53)
PINK = RgbColor(57)
You're right, blue color looks better than others, but it's not the only one. ORCHID looks dope on mine, LIME is cool. I think it depend on your precise device.
also you can use .highlight() to make the color highlighted. without any numbers in parentheses.
Here is my new skin
Here is the link for downloading it http://www.filedropper.?om/skindefault
In order to use it you just copy this file in to /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Push and restart ableton. To get back to default skin just delete this file.

triant

Post by triant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:08 pm

thanks starcat; this is great.

your color scheme looks gorgeous on my unit (especially in the dark with the AC adapter plugged in), and is a great point of reference for further customization.

i always use homemade color schemes in Live; now i can have a Push to match :)

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi,

love the color scheme, it´s almost perfect.

Just one thing. i try to change the color in recording mode in the notes view back to red like in the default skin, because sometimes i miss, that it´s recording.

I can´t find it in the script. Was searching for "record". Changed everything for a test, but nothing happened...
Can you give me a hint please?

Thanks a lot!

vidnotlaw

Post by vidnotlaw » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:50 pm

This is killer! Thanks for the info.... off to change some colors I go!

Take care,

Vid

StarcAt

Post by StarcAt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:08 pm

bootykowski wrote:Hi,

love the color scheme, it´s almost perfect.

Just one thing. i try to change the color in recording mode in the notes view back to red like in the default skin, because sometimes i miss, that it´s recording.

I can´t find it in the script. Was searching for "record". Changed everything for a test, but nothing happened...
Can you give me a hint please?

Thanks a lot!
Yea, i've tried to figure it out but with no luck. This should be in another script but a lot of decompiled scripts that i've found over the internet just don't work with my device. I suppose it's because i have newer versions of them and i didn't find the way to decompile them yet. Anyway, it's seems that i'm stuck with creating some m4l devices for push for weekends, it's a lot of fun, but i'll try to find it out sometime later.
Cheers!

Robin Nixon

Post by Robin Nixon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am

I have a full range of lighting gels and have tried placing some of them over my Push, and note that when I place either a green or a red gel on top of the buttons that the color variation is almost totally fixed. But when I place a blue gel on top the variations are there to see in all their glory. So I am pretty certain that the problem is simply a faulty batch of blue LEDs.

Fortunately my original supplier contacted me today and I have a returns number so I can now send mine back. If Ableton fix this issue with a version 2 I may try the product again - we'll see.

Maybe with their 16-week delay for current orders Ableton will have time to source some good LEDs before they get despatched, and other purchasers will be luckier.

StarcAt

Post by StarcAt » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 pm

manutech

Post by manutech » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Where can i find the original SkinDefault.pyc file (for windows) ?
I cannot go back to the initial colours since SkinDefault.py has changed SkinDefault.pyc as well.

EDIT: i just found the file at lo.key previous post.

Bobbyandreano

Post by Bobbyandreano » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Just want to throw out a quick thanks to you guys for sharing this info on changing the default pad color schemes. I set up the colors in a way I like and that hides the poor LED coloring well. Everyone I have shown the new schemes to ask me when I had the Push fixed or replaced. The phrase I hear most often is "oh waaaaaay better". So thanks!

StarcAt

Post by StarcAt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 am

Actually, I don't understand why Ableton decide to put so much white color in their scheme, i thought that the good marketing strategy is hiding all your cons and emphasizing pros. I think if they were using a scheme without white color they would have not so many complains about it.

panten

Post by panten » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:07 am

Bobbyandreano wrote:Just want to throw out a quick thanks to you guys for sharing this info on changing the default pad color schemes. I set up the colors in a way I like and that hides the poor LED coloring well. Everyone I have shown the new schemes to ask me when I had the Push fixed or replaced. The phrase I hear most often is "oh waaaaaay better". So thanks!
hey Bobby, would you mind sharing your colour setup? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:26 am

panten wrote:would you mind sharing your colour setup? I'm curious to see what it looks like.
Here's what I settled on:

class Instrument:
NoteBase = Rgb.OCEAN.shade(1)
NoteScale = Rgb.MAGENTA.shade(2)
NoteForeign = Rgb.MAGENTA
NoteInvalid = Rgb.BLACK
NoteInactive = Rgb.BLACK
NoteOff = Rgb.BLACK
Feedback = Rgb.ORCHID

(the rest of my file is as downloaded from some thread somewhere. that user's color scheme seemed fine for the other modes / I don't care all that much about other modes)

My colors are more or less inspired by one of these things:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plasm ... uching.jpg

I don't know if there's enough contrast for color-blind people, however. (that was very much a consideration in the original skin)

EDIT:
Looking at it here, "NoteForeign" is probably set to the wrong color; an experiment in progress. If I'm not mistaken, that's your "out of scale" notes which only show up in chromatic mode. Haven't found a shade I like for that yet.