Hack for using Drum Rack Sequencer with VST

Discuss Push with other users.
Geminiclub

Hack for using Drum Rack Sequencer with VST

Post by Geminiclub » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Hey Guys,

Its a pretty self explanatory issue. I know that officially the Drum Sequencer in Note Mode only comes up when a drum rack is loaded on the track, does anyone know any way around this? Id like to use the clip sequencing with Kontakt Abbey Road Drum libraries and Battery Kits without having to painstakingly resample them for use in drum racks.

Thoughts?

StarcAt

Re: Hack for using Drum Rack Sequencer with VST

Post by StarcAt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 pm

You can create an empty drum rack, then create another instrument which you'd like to sequence, then just route midi output from empty drum rack to your instrument.

Geminiclub

Post by Geminiclub » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 am

Clever! Thatll work and thanks for the idea. Ill do that for now but I'm still hoping for something a little more elegant. It be great to have a solution that will also allow me to load up the kits (via instrument racks) from push's browser. Maybe an alteration to the Scripts themselves?

Thanks!

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:14 am

one way to load this in a single track, from the browser, would be to use the recent mod to the push py scripts, which detects the presence of a drum rack nested within an instrument rack, and turns on the step sequencer. Then make an istrument rack which two or more chains, and place a drum rack in the first chain, and your vst in the second. Save that instrument rack as a preset, and you should be able to load it up from the push, no? I dont have a push to play with yet, but i believe that will do the trick.

the script is in the first post here...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191287

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 pm

lo.key wrote:one way to load this in a single track, from the browser, would be to use the recent mod to the push py scripts, which detects the presence of a drum rack nested within an instrument rack, and turns on the step sequencer. Then make an istrument rack which two or more chains, and place a drum rack in the first chain, and your vst in the second. Save that instrument rack as a preset, and you should be able to load it up from the push, no? I dont have a push to play with yet, but i believe that will do the trick.

the script is in the first post here...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191287
This is exactly how I was planning on doing it, and why I was so excited to see this mod.
Professional Shark Jumper.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:47 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:This is exactly how I was planning on doing it,

;D

can someone using this mod tell me whether adding a second instrument rack around the first instrument rack (containing the drum rack) is sufficient to make the push display the note-mode rather than the step sequencer?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:52 pm

lo.key wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:This is exactly how I was planning on doing it,

;D

can someone using this mod tell me whether adding a second instrument rack around the first instrument rack (containing the drum rack) is sufficient to make the push display the note-mode rather than the step sequencer?
If all you want to do is get the note mode rather than the drum pad and sequencer mode, then all you need to do is not use the mod and group the drum rack into an instrument rack. If you are using the mod, then just have an instrument device (or an empty instrument rack chain) above the drum rack inside the main instrument rack.
Professional Shark Jumper.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:27 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:If all you want to do is get the note mode rather than the drum pad and sequencer mode, then all you need to do is not use the mod and group the drum rack into an instrument rack.
ha, well thats hardly an answer to the question now is it? ;p
glitchrock-buddha wrote:If you are using the mod, then just have an instrument device (or an empty instrument rack chain) above the drum rack inside the main instrument rack.
thats a good way to engage the melody, yes. thanks, good to know.

but the question remains regarding nested racks and the script behaviour...

shootdaj

Post by shootdaj » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:46 am

StarcAt wrote:You can create an empty drum rack, then create another instrument which you'd like to sequence, then just route midi output from empty drum rack to your instrument.
How do you route the MIDI output of a drum rack to another track/instrument? Once you load up the drum rack, the "MIDI to" dropdown in the track turns into "Audio To". Can you internally route MIDI out of the drum rack and into another track?

ak69

Post by ak69 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 pm

shootdaj wrote:
StarcAt wrote:You can create an empty drum rack, then create another instrument which you'd like to sequence, then just route midi output from empty drum rack to your instrument.
How do you route the MIDI output of a drum rack to another track/instrument? Once you load up the drum rack, the "MIDI to" dropdown in the track turns into "Audio To". Can you internally route MIDI out of the drum rack and into another track?
You can choose the drum rack in the "midi in" section of the instrument.

manutech

Post by manutech » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:24 am

Instead of having 2 separate tracks you can also drop the vst into the empty drum rack chain and then select to receive from ALL notes.

StarcAt

Post by StarcAt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:47 am

manutech wrote:Instead of having 2 separate tracks you can also drop the vst into the empty drum rack chain and then select to receive from ALL notes.
It's the easiest way to do it for now.

shootdaj

Post by shootdaj » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:10 pm

StarcAt wrote:
manutech wrote:Instead of having 2 separate tracks you can also drop the vst into the empty drum rack chain and then select to receive from ALL notes.
It's the easiest way to do it for now.
Here's an easier way with only one track:

http://www.reddit.com/r/abletonlive/com ... _vsts_and/