Push doesn't see subfolders within User Library/Instruments

Discuss Push with other users.
joefrost01

Push doesn't see subfolders within User Library/Instruments

Post by joefrost01 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:19 am

Hi,

I think I'm probably doing something wrong so if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

My Push arrived yesterday and one of the first things I tried was saving some of my favourite plugins wrapped in a rack so that I can browse them nicely from Push.

Taking Massive as an example, I wrap it in a rack and save it down to User Library->Instruments. After a few moments I can browse instruments from Push and see Massive at the bottom of the list after all the Ableton instrument folders. That's fine if I only want to have one instance of the plugin but I was thinking of saving it multiple times with various different selections of my favourite patches selected so that I can quickly browse my favourite Massive bass patches from push.

To do this I would need to create some sub folders under User Library->Instruments e.g "User Library->Instruments->AAPlugins->Massive->Bass"
(the AAPlugins bit would be so that my stuff would show at the top of the browse list).

If I create a new sub folder and save some racks into it then Push doesn't seem to see it at all. Does the folder need to have a particular name? If so is this configured somewhere like the virtual drum folders are?

I don't relish the thought of having to save multiple copies of a racked plugin with all my favourite patches selected but this would certainly provide a solution to being able to quickly browse the important bits of my patch library from Push.

If I could just get this bit figured out then the Push workflow would be pretty much spot on from my point of view.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer,

Joe

mothergarage

Re: Push doesn't see subfolders within User Library/Instruments

Post by mothergarage » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 am

You could either follow Ableton's folder/category naming convention as it is in their library or create your own categories as shown in this thread. I haven't tested this though.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 pm

I just tried this.

If you add something like this:
<VirtualFolder Name="#VST FX" Patterns="#VST FX, Audio Damage, Camel Audio, Cytomic"/>
to VirtualFolders.cfg, you can organize your (VST) User library in subfolders they just show in Push as one large list.

So my main folder is #VST FX and contains the subfolders Audio Damage, Camel Audio and Cytomic etc.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

Geminiclub

Post by Geminiclub » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks for the help, Im very interested in this solution as well. Id love to be able to load my AU's and VSTs from Push. However I can't seem to get your solution to work. I've modified the virtualforlders.cfg file. Ive copied and pasted your example script as well as attempted my own but I can get anything to show up in Live or Push's browser.

In your "#VST FX..." example, where exactly did you place that script in virtualforlders.cfg? Did you have to do anything with your actual VST folder? Did you have to move it from the standard OSX location?

I would be very appreciative If you could explain your solution in detail

Thanks

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:48 pm

You have to have your VST's racked up and saved as presets in your user library. So then any 'patterns' that you would add to the virtualfolder.cfg for the #VST type, you have to have your racks in things like that.

E.g. for my vst effects I have:
<VirtualFolder Name="VST Effects" Patterns="VST Effects, Compressor, Delay, Distortion, EQ, Filter, FSU, ModFX, MultiFX, Reverb"/>

So then in my user library under presets - audio effects-audio effect rack - VST Effects -......
under the VST Effects dir I have each one for each one of those patterns, compressor, delay, etc, and have the corresponding rack presets of my vst effects in each one of those

I still cant believe after all the complaining during the beta that we have to put up with crap like this in order to organize our libraries the way we want to easily access our own content. Obviously you can do it, just ableton half-assed the release or doesnt want users to have easy access to their own stuff and only library/purchased content.

Geminiclub

Post by Geminiclub » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Ah ok,

I mistakenly thought the solution above was an alternative to racking up my VSTs.

Thanks guys