Push feature requests

Discuss Push with other users.
featherodd

Re: Push feature requests

Post by featherodd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 am

Ryder17 wrote:My apologies...... Save/load sets... Not only would it be handy for knocking ideas out, it would mean I could use a rackmount pc without a keyboard, mouse or screen to do gigs and jam
Actually yeah, the ability to load Sets would be dope. What if you could hold Shit and hit Browse to pull up a list of Sets stored in your User Library? I don't believe Shift + Browse is being used for anything else at the moment, right?

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:46 am

Ryder17 wrote:My apologies...... Save/load sets... Not only would it be handy for knocking ideas out, it would mean I could use a rackmount pc without a keyboard, mouse or screen to do gigs and jam
+1 that would be very handy indeed!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

Post by » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Just a little thing, but I'd really like to be able to transpose clips. Perhaps Select + Octave Up / Down to transpose by octaves and Shift + Select + Octave Up / Down to transpose by semitones?

EDIT: Sorry, a better implementation of this would be an encoder to transpose the clip on the clip edit page.

Also a way to apply the legato midi edit.

And a way to unlink automation envelopes. Each envelope is per automated parameter, so a way to select / display the currently selected parameter's name would be needed. Perhaps since we already have clip loop editing encoders on the clip page, a variant of this page could be used for editing clip envelopes (say, Shift + Clip?). Then you'd have loop controls, an encoder to select through existing automation and an encoder to link / unlink that automation from the main loop.
Last edited by on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Also the option to move the clip start position (not the loop start position) on the clip edit page.

And absolute velocity values when editing note velocity in the step sequencer. The relative values mean nothing to me.

And a way to set the velocity entered, rather than always being at 100 or 127 (with Accent). Perhaps just a memory for the last velocity entered, along with absolute values. That'd be great.

Finally, a way to apply the velocity slope edit like in the sequencer. So, for example, you might hold select and tap each note you want to include in the slope. Then two encoders become start and end velocity values (absolute, please) when you set them the notes in between get interpolated values.

adh82

Post by adh82 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:23 pm

COPY/PASTE:
instead of holding duplicate and tapping a pad.
hold duplicate (to enter copy/paste mode) then tap a pad to copy, then tap an empty pad ANYWHERE to paste it there?

NOTE DELETE:
Hold delete and hold down a pad to delete notes while a clip is playing (only deletes notes within the time the pad is held down)
Hold Delete and hit a pad to delete all notes when a clip isnt playing

TOUCH STRIP FREE ASSIGN:
ability to assign the touch strip to pitchbend or modwheel,
or any of the 8 knobs. Allowing the selected track in focus to be controlled via the touch strip.
hit volume or pan &send to control the parameter.
hitting device would allow you to say have control over the filter cut off with the touch strip!

LCD CONTRAST:
in user mode have the ability to control the LCD contrast. like on an AKAI MPC for example.

theres more, but ill start here.
cheers,
A

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 pm

featherodd wrote:
Actually yeah, the ability to load Sets would be dope. What if you could hold Shit and hit Browse to pull up a list of Sets stored in your User Library? I don't believe Shift + Browse is being used for anything else at the moment, right?
Right!! Sort it out Mr ableton!

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:50 pm

Vé wrote:Also the option to move the clip start position (not the loop start position) on the clip edit page.
I thought turning Loop off, gave you the option for clip start position, then set it where you want and then turn Loop on again.

Post by » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:28 am

cyclicAMP wrote:I thought turning Loop off, gave you the option for clip start position, then set it where you want and then turn Loop on again.
So it does! Brilliant! Well, that's one off the list.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Vé wrote:Just a little thing, but I'd really like to be able to transpose clips. Perhaps Select + Octave Up / Down to transpose by octaves and Shift + Select + Octave Up / Down to transpose by semitones?

EDIT: Sorry, a better implementation of this would be an encoder to transpose the clip on the clip edit page.

I actually like the octave idea because it's quicker than having to turn a knob.. usually with a knob for transpose you have to hover between -11 and -13 at least 3 times before it settles on -12.. then when you let go it knocks it again and you have to do it again! :wink:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 am

Ryder17 wrote:
featherodd wrote:
Right!! Sort it out Mr ableton!
Personally I don't want to see any more additions like this. How do you want to enter names - by turning knobs through 26 letters every time?

I really don't see myself doing much of this kind of thing through Push when the computer is right next to it - it's about a million times quicker on the laptop and always will be

While the idea of it getting you completely away from the computer is a great one, little LCDs like that will never be satisfying, and the reality is the computer will always be nearby and Push is really more of a studio tool than a performance tool.

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Personally I don't want to see any more additions like this. How do you want to enter names - by turning knobs through 26 letters every time?

I really don't see myself doing much of this kind of thing through Push when the computer is right next to it - it's about a million times quicker on the laptop and always will be

While the idea of it getting you completely away from the computer is a great one, little LCDs like that will never be satisfying, and the reality is the computer will always be nearby and Push is really more of a studio tool than a performance tool.
The push has plenty of buttons that could make entering names easy, maybe use the touch pad to scroll the alphabet and select to enter the letter? You could even use the pads as keys??

Even just auto adding them as generic "set 1-2" etc in the sets folder, you can go back and do housekeeping later..... in any case, a small inconvenience for the convenience and enhanced usability it would bring...

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Is it possible to change the b's to #'s in the scale select? That would be good, im more of a sharp kinda guy

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:19 am

Ryder17 wrote:

The push has plenty of buttons that could make entering names easy, maybe use the touch pad to scroll the alphabet and select to enter the letter? You could even use the pads as keys??

Even just auto adding them as generic "set 1-2" etc in the sets folder, you can go back and do housekeeping later..... in any case, a small inconvenience for the convenience and enhanced usability it would bring...
Yeah I guess.. I'm just finding that I can't really envisage a scenario where it won't be sitting right next to my laptop anyway, and it's so much easier doing things like that on the laptop I don't see the sense in spending any time on trying to work with that little screen. Scrolling through all the presets is tedious on push and takes ages, and we can't preview either. I'm just saying I don't actually personally need them to work on something I don't expect to use.

Maybe they'll come up with some clever solutions and I'll change my mind, but it feels like a fundamental problem with using a small LCD and having to scroll through millions of things. I just wasted so much time doing that that it negated all the time I'd saved on the music making bits.

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 am

Forge. wrote:
Ryder17 wrote:

Yeah I guess.. I'm just finding that I can't really envisage a scenario where it won't be sitting right next to my laptop anyway, and it's so much easier doing things like that on the laptop I don't see the sense in spending any time on trying to work with that little screen. Scrolling through all the presets is tedious on push and takes ages, and we can't preview either. I'm just saying I don't actually personally need them to work on something I don't expect to use.

Maybe they'll come up with some clever solutions and I'll change my mind, but it feels like a fundamental problem with using a small LCD and having to scroll through millions of things. I just wasted so much time doing that that it negated all the time I'd saved on the music making bits.
Im actually finding the small screen quite inspiring, it's making me discover sounds that I would have probably overlooked in the browser. Plus the fact that they take mere seconds to load means I don't even miss being able to preview. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Imagine The computer wasn't there at all, if that little square box was a self contained instrument. I don't think you would have any complaints.

panten

Post by panten » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 pm

I'm also finding that working entirely on Push helps me get into focusing on the middle distance and listening more to the music/sounds rather than being sucked into the glowing monitor like a moth to a flame. So much so that I find myself reaching (on Push) for the Ctrl + O or Ctrl + S then having to go back to the comp. keyboard is slightly annoying.

I've often found myself reading something on a site that hides Live and going back to Push for a bit more writing only to zone out for a while only to discover later that Live hasn't been visible all the time. It's actually pretty satisfying and is only dispelled when I stumble across one of the things that aren't accessible using the in/out buttons (of which there are many and I'm awaiting the torrent of responses to this, I'm with you btw, I want Ableton to address it and make their Instruments work Kompletely with Push).

Hopefully this thread is being monitored closely like ants under a magnifying glass by the Abes.