Clip play position

Discuss Push with other users.
bastien

Clip play position

Post by bastien » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:45 am

I'm probably doing something wrong, but...

Can you adjust a clip's play position from the push? I only see loop start, end & length. Nothing for the play head position though.

yop44

Re: Clip play position

Post by yop44 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 am

Hello,

if you turn Loop to off then you access this parameter. :)
My music : Soundcloud

bastien

Post by bastien » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:32 am

yop44 wrote:Hello,

if you turn Loop to off then you access this parameter. :)
Thanks. I'll give that a go later...

Someone's going to have to write a proper manual for this thing, aren't they? I mean, in addition to the dozen-ish pages in the official one.

EDIT: Oh, just found the 901 manual:
http://cdn2-downloads.ableton.com/manua ... ual_en.pdf

Balchie

Post by Balchie » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:51 am

This is quite annoying for me. I like to record one long clip of improve then use the loop start and end to extract the piece I want to keep using the push control knobs. Trouble is the start point is left at 1.1.1 so I then need to adjust that manually by changing modes. There is enough screen space to include the start marker too so let's hope we see this added in a future release. Also would like option to lock start and loop start together to avoid editing both each time.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:14 am

Balchie wrote:This is quite annoying for me. I like to record one long clip of improve then use the loop start and end to extract the piece I want to keep using the push control knobs. Trouble is the start point is left at 1.1.1 so I then need to adjust that manually by changing modes. There is enough screen space to include the start marker too so let's hope we see this added in a future release. Also would like option to lock start and loop start together to avoid editing both each time.
I agree. As much as I love my Push, the one thing that seems to be still in Beta state is how much of Live is interpreted on the LCD screen. Wasted slot space, half-mapped devices. It's not a huge deal, but I'm hoping this will be improved in future updates.

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:35 pm

tedlogan wrote:
Balchie wrote:This is quite annoying for me. I like to record one long clip of improve then use the loop start and end to extract the piece I want to keep using the push control knobs. Trouble is the start point is left at 1.1.1 so I then need to adjust that manually by changing modes. There is enough screen space to include the start marker too so let's hope we see this added in a future release. Also would like option to lock start and loop start together to avoid editing both each time.
I agree. As much as I love my Push, the one thing that seems to be still in Beta state is how much of Live is interpreted on the LCD screen. Wasted slot space, half-mapped devices. It's not a huge deal, but I'm hoping this will be improved in future updates.
I also agree. It really makes no sense to me that start and end points are not right there available. Often having to turn 'loop' off just to change start point actually stops the clip from playing. It then has to be re-triggered in clip launch mode.
Way to much button pushing for such a basic feature in Live.

albinogovan

Post by albinogovan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:24 pm

+ 1 from me.

This is a sorely lacking feature. I want to be able to manipulate clips in real time, for instance to record a loop and then duplicate it, looping just a section of the original to make a different song section. This should be easily achievable.

deejayraoul

Post by deejayraoul » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:05 pm

+1
Is this still not fixed in 9.1?
Edit: Yes it's available though step sequencing mode:
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/push-loop-playhead/

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:45 pm

cyclicAMP wrote:
tedlogan wrote:
I also agree. It really makes no sense to me that start and end points are not right there available. Often having to turn 'loop' off just to change start point actually stops the clip from playing. It then has to be re-triggered in clip launch mode.
Way to much button pushing for such a basic feature in Live.
When Loop is on, the start point of the clip is the start point of the loop, they don't have separate values, hence why you have to turn it off.... Without a major update to API this won't change, it's not a Push thing...

Cheers
D

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:20 pm

+1 for me too. And has anyone noticed that audio clips sometimes show clip properties on Push's screen and sometimes they don't? I can record an audio clip then adjust the parameters on Push, then when I come back to it later, it may or may not show up. Sometimes the Push display is blank. Very disappointed. Oh and fixed length? Buggy to say the least.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

Mike Caffrey

Post by Mike Caffrey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:30 pm

I have a similar question an similar workflow.

I've found that the best way for me to take loops from a long clip is to set the loop bracket at either 2 or 4 bars, then highlight it and use the computer keyboard's up/down arrows to move L/R, then hit the duplicate button on Push whenever I find a loop I want.

Is there a way via MIDI to emulate the duplicate button? If there was, I'd probably just map that to a smaller MIDI controller, or the computer keyboard.

I'm also curious if there's a way to map the function of the computer keyboard's up and down arrows. If there was, I'd probably map all three functions to a row of buttons on a MIDI fighter and recline while going through loops.

greenfly

Post by greenfly » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Very weird functionality, so much for not looking at the screen when using Push. I should be able to move my start marker whilst loop is switched on. I can do this in the software with my mouse so not being able to do it with push is ludicrous. Also, with my mouse, my start marker moves when I drag the clip.

Squash

Post by Squash » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:41 pm

removed