How do you play all 64 notes chromatically?

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
koranek

How do you play all 64 notes chromatically?

Post by koranek » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:13 pm

When you are in note mode playing an instrument, you have all these cool scales. Which are really great.

Now put yourself in chromatic mode so you can play the notes out of the scale. Each note, lit or not, should be a half step from it's neighbor.

Start from the note in the lower left. As you play to the right you get chromatic notes for the first five pads, but the the last three pads in the row are duplicated in the first three in the next row. This is the overlap people have been talking about with cut off notes.

To keep going chromatically the pattern is:
1 2 3 4 5
Go up a row
1 2 3 4 5
Go up a row
etc.

This allows me to play a range of 40 (plus the last 3 of the top row) chromatically. But I have 64 pads right? What I want to do is play all 64 notes chromatically.

I assumed there was a way, but I can't seem to find it.
Licensed Counselor
johnkoranekcounseling.com
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 10 Sweet

DLVR

Re: How do you play all 64 notes chromatically?

Post by DLVR » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Go to the scales screen and hold down the shift button. That should give you options for changing the note layout. Change it from "4th" to one of the "Sequent" options. The Sequent options have no duplicated notes.

I believe that's what you want.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:55 pm

a simple m4l patch will fix this. When you select the track, grab control of the pads, and then pipe their output through a noteout, and send lighting control back to the pads (im still debating the best kind of lighting and playback/feedback to implement, as im planning on using this for non-melodic sampler and drum-rack-based work, so theres a few different options. Lighting up every 16th pad, or even colouring each 4x4 block differently...

koranek

Post by koranek » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 pm

DLVR- Thanks, that did exactly what I was looking for. Excellent, I didn't even know there was a shift menu for scales.

And I just checked. I see it is in the newest documentation. I guess I should read the manual. Again. Well at least the newest manual.

Thanks
Licensed Counselor
johnkoranekcounseling.com
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 10 Sweet

Aken

Post by Aken » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Is microtonality possible ? like 64 pads between F and G ?

Aken

Post by Aken » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:22 pm

bump

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:53 am

within m4l it could be, not natively.

coleb

Post by coleb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:19 pm

if you don't want to switch the scales settings (i.e. just want to run over to a fully chromatic mode just to find the key of a song or something like that), you could pop over to user mode. the pads there output chromatically starting from C. i don't think there is a way to change which note it starts from. but there is no jump by 4ths when going up a row. it is all chromatic. there are no lights when doing this (which could be good depending on your intention), but led feedback and backlighting is a simple M4L patch.

not the best solution because it knocks out all of push's native functionality, but could be useful.