Push Knobs question

Discuss Push with other users.
hipdeejay

Push Knobs question

Post by hipdeejay » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:06 am

Hi all just had a quick question hopefully someone can answer. My push is still on preorder :(

Anyway I was wondering if it were possible to freely assign the 8 knobs on Push to control or automate various parameters such as:

1.) a cutoff filter on a third party synth
or
2.) a macro knob on a rack I made

Is this possible with push? To use the knobs like a standard midi controller where you just map the knob you want to the parameter of your choice.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Push Knobs question

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Their is a user mode.

Upright

Post by Upright » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:19 am

In my experience almost everything gets mapped automatically. As an example, I added a Waves EQ10 after an instrument, press the device button on Push, select the EQ10 and ALL the parameters are already mapped and there are banks that I can scroll through when there a lot of parameters....I didn't have to map anything. :) But there is also a user mode as mentioned just in case you need to map something...but I haven't had a need to as of yet, but keep in mind I'm still learning my way around Push. :)

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:38 pm

hipdeejay wrote:Anyway I was wondering if it were possible to freely assign the 8 knobs on Push to control or automate various parameters such as:

1.) a cutoff filter on a third party synth
or
2.) a macro knob on a rack I made

Is this possible with push? To use the knobs like a standard midi controller where you just map the knob you want to the parameter of your choice.
"Q: I understand that the APC and Launchpad (both Ableton branded) both do not have very flexible midi remapping of the controllers themselves. Will the Push be in the same predicament?

Ableton: We do not currently have an editor, and notes can not be changed on Push."

"We just send out simple MIDI messages for the encoders in User mode. You'd have to work out something with Max for Live or Python for something more advanced. "

So there's no way to have multiple MIDI templates to switch between. You get one user mode that you have to figure out yourself.
Upright wrote:In my experience almost everything gets mapped automatically. As an example, I added a Waves EQ10 after an instrument, press the device button on Push, select the EQ10 and ALL the parameters are already mapped and there are banks that I can scroll through when there a lot of parameters....I didn't have to map anything.
Here's what Ableton says about it:
"With plug-ins, we currently can't access parameters in an automatic and consistent way, so you would be left with a way to load a plug-in, but not control it automatically. The workaround for the moment is to save a plug-in within an Instrument or Effect Rack, with parameters laid out as you'd like."

And what Julien Bayle says about it:
"If the plugins as less than 32 parameters, ALL parameters are available in the device view at the left of the XY pad.
If there are more (which is the case in 90%), you have to choose which parameters you want to control with a remote surface or for using automation:

- by clicking on the configure button on the device

- then you choose a parameter on the VST window itself, you change the value and it appears in the left part of the device view.

- then reclick on configure and you can map whatever you want from that parameters chosen"
The problem with using the configure workaround is that you have to repeat the process every time you load the same plugin.

Upright

Post by Upright » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for clarifying this...now I know why some devices seems to be mapped while others don't.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:10 pm

There is a minor hack on Julien Bayle's page for auto-populating up to 128 parameters. You can set how many you want to auto-populate via the options.txt file. It'd take you about 4 minutes to do the hack and it's "safe." There are a couple other cool options.txt hacks that seem worth giving a shot on his page.

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 am

SuburbanThug wrote:There is a minor hack on Julien Bayle's page for auto-populating up to 128 parameters. You can set how many you want to auto-populate via the options.txt file. It'd take you about 4 minutes to do the hack and it's "safe." There are a couple other cool options.txt hacks that seem worth giving a shot on his page.

Just did this....seems to work good but I'll play with it for a while to see how it goes. I have a feeling that some of the more useful parameters might get buried among some of the not so useful mapped parameters. In which case it might be better to map as I go and save to a instrument rack.