Assigning footswitch ports?

Discuss Push with other users.
nebulae

Re: Assigning footswitch ports?

Post by nebulae » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Nothing to post, really. They said that you can assign the FS ports in User mode, but not in Live mode. I then requested that you make FS2 a global Enter action, just like it is in the APC40. They said they would pass along the suggestion to the developers.

Post by » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:21 am

This is very odd. In 9.0.0 or possibly 9.0.1 Push would come up on the MIDI preferences page as two ports ("Ableton Push" and "Ableton Push (Port 2)". I couldn't find any use for 'Ableton Push (Port 2)' as Push seemed to work fine no matter what settings I chose for the input and output. However, at the time I wanted my second pedal to act as a record trigger and after failing to get it recognized while in MIDI map mode I tried enabling the first Ableton port's remote button. Suddenly I could get the pedal to map to session record (although I couldn't work out how to get it to toggle the button and instead had to hold it down to record, but it was still useful). Then Ableton released an update and the first Ableton Push port disappeared and now it only shows up in the 'Control Surface' section. There is no longer a 'Remote' button to enable for it and annoyingly I can no longer MIDI map my second (I guess 'expression'?) pedal. In fact, neither two pedals are mappable, so the second one is pretty much useless.

It's odd that this functionality seems to have been present, then removed and tidied away. It annoys me that Ableton are now saying the second pedal is only mappable in user mode (which I've just realized is what the second Push port is for, apparently - if I enable 'Remote' for it and press the pedal in User mode, it can be mapped). But I want to use it outside of user mode... and I could... and now I can't.

And I'm sad.

(Only a little though because Push is still largely awesome).

But it could be awesomer, dammit!

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Ehy any recent news about the subject?

I tried at least to midi map a pedal in normal mode, but Push is midi mappable only in user mode :(

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:55 pm

i think flockeds m4l patches can grab control of the switches, no?

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:42 pm

You shouldn't have to run a patch or script to use a basic footswitch. I'm sure they will be working on this..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:17 pm

its a controller. everything you do with it should involve a modifiable script, or what the hell is the point?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 am

lo.key wrote:its a controller. everything you do with it should involve a modifiable script, or what the hell is the point?
configuring the footswitch behaviour is basic functionality that should be baked into the standard Push interface.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 pm

I plugged a pedal into port 1 and i noticed it's a sustain ped.

I plugged it into port 2 but it seems to do nothing (that is impossible...). What's your experience with it?

In 'regular' mode...

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:16 am

Anybody use them?

Is it possible to control Rec button with a pedal?

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:35 am

filter_7 wrote:Anybody use them?

Is it possible to control Rec button with a pedal?
From the latest official (not beta release) manual: wrote: Footswitches
Two ports on the back of Push allow you to connect momentary footswitches. Footswitch 1 acts as a sustain pedal. Footswitch 2 is not yet supported, but will be added in a future update.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:55 am

thanks artpunk, i didn't know it...

ZALTA19900

Post by ZALTA19900 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:40 pm

I hope that's not the case but it may be so. They do work properly in User mode though so I can't see why I shouldn't be able to get at least the sustain pedal to work with instruments I'm playing in Note mode.

Why they aren't addressed in the manual is a bit of a head-scratcher.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:50 am

ZALTA19900 wrote:I hope that's not the case but it may be so. They do work properly in User mode though so I can't see why I shouldn't be able to get at least the sustain pedal to work with instruments I'm playing in Note mode.

Why they aren't addressed in the manual is a bit of a head-scratcher.
As quoted above the manual states that footswitch 1 acts as sustain & footswitch 2 is not yet supported...
That is all the manual has to say on the footswitch ports, which is a bit frustrating. In a different thread I have directly asked Dennis De Santis if there could be more elaboration on what polarity the ports are looking for, what 3rd party foot-switches have been trialled and found to work with Push etc, but nothing has been updated in the manual yet...

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:03 am

it's a mystery why they are being so sketchy about the footswitch ports, or why they haven't fully implemented them yet. i did a bit of a search in the Python code for the Push and haven't been able to find any direct reference to them.

at the moment, the kind of footswitch that definitely does work in the first port (without any messing around with polarity) are those that are closed circuit when the pedal is down. Roland footswitches, for example, are wired the wrong way around.

StewD

Post by StewD » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:28 am

Added a feature request - Push pedal ports