any one have issues with the drum pads getting stuck?

Discuss Push with other users.
asthmatic

any one have issues with the drum pads getting stuck?

Post by asthmatic » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:05 am

i've noticed the light gets stuck on, and will reset if i turn the push unit off and back on. It's happened twice in my first hour of play.

SuburbanThug

Re: any one have issues with the drum pads getting stuck?

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:57 am

Haven't had that issue at all. Did you hold down "User" and adjust the sensitivity? I guess that's probably not the issue. You may have gotten a lemon. Can't praise the pads enough, really.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:58 am

asthmatic wrote:i've noticed the light gets stuck on, and will reset if i turn the push unit off and back on. It's happened twice in my first hour of play.
Perhaps you need to adjust your 'pad threshold' - from the manual:
Pad Threshold sets the softest playing force that will trigger notes. More force is required at high-
er settings. Note that at lower settings, notes may trigger accidentally and pads may “stick” on.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:53 am

I've had this problem..you are not alone. I've had lights stuck on accompanied by notes that won't play. Turning Push off and back on fixed the issue...it's happened to me twice. I'm not a DSP expert or developer, nor do I claim to be but I have a feeling this issue has less to do with Push and more to do with something going wrong during Push's communication with Live.

cam478

Post by cam478 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:36 am

iv been having this issue late...bought this in december 2014!!! :/ Ridiculous really...I got to play it and the same pad, bottom right is sticking

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:51 am

Pretty common problem for me. I actually think it may be a combination hardware software issue. Not just a hardware one. Probably more a software one than anything.

Happens for me in both notes mode and drum mode. Haven't spent enough time in Session to see if it happens there also (or even to test if the same 'pad' consistently 'sticks' if I change between the three or four modes).

This does not happen on the Launchpad (95).

I am actually sort of anxious to get a Launchpad Pro :D

Ableton should have collated with Novation for Push instead of Akai. Think about it, Novation had practically every factor already available as a feature in their products. 8x8 pads, LCD display, touch sensitive endless encoders.

Yeah ...

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:55 am

I don't have stuck pads, unless the sensitivity is set real high. What I have started to get recently is this very annoying problem with the top 8 encoders, mainly the first and eighth ones - when adjusting, sometimes they'd jitter on their own, even after letting go, increasing and decreasing in value erratically. Not good. I wonder if it's dust, but I do keep it covered with a DeckSaver cover whenever not in use. It is angled steeply at around 45 degrees, so I used some non-residual tape to cover the rear (now the top because of the steep angle) input ports.

This jitter is amplified quite a bit when any of my fingers also touch the Push chassis near the encoder. I don't know much about electricity, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I suppose dust will find its way in regardless of that.

koranek

Post by koranek » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:42 pm

I've had that happen a couple of times. The only thing that seemed to fix it was to power cycle Push.

I've also had a lot of problems with playability, false triggering of notes, and volume/velocity issues. This is not so noticeable on drums, but load in a multisampled piano with a lot of velocity layers and I really feel it.

Just this week I placed a Velocity midi effect in front of my instrument when using Push. Playing around with this I got Push to feel a lot more expressive.

I lowered Push's threshold to -10 and set the curve to Linear.

Then, in the Velocity effect, I set lowest to 10, basically getting rid of the jitter at the low end of the velocity range, and eliminated false triggers when gently touching a pad. You can play around with this for your own Push.

I set the operation to Velocity and clip. Other settings cut off the strongest velocities. I then played with Drive and Compression settings until I dialed in a nice velocity curve.

This made a big difference in playing Push with a melodic instrument.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:50 am

Thanks, koranek - sounds great - gonna try it!

roby

Post by roby » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:06 pm

I have experienced this issue here and there as well, and it seems that closing live and disconnecting Push did the trick. Last night, a whole row of pads were behaving badly.

condra

Post by condra » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:30 pm

It's a pain in the ass. I want to love Push but sometimes it drives me crazy. Getting stuck pads a lot recently.