How to use Push drum rack mode with Maschine vst

Discuss Push with other users.
monohusche

Re: How to use Push drum rack mode with Maschine vst

Post by monohusche » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 pm

thanks for all the useful comments, wasn't aware of that, hence I asked :-).

As to why to use Push AND Maschine:

Primarily for the content, I do have quite some content from NI. How do you use the Maschine kits directly in drumracks ? don't u have to rebuild kit by kit (not even talking about existing effects on the kits), how is this not a workflow killer ?

The second use case is harmonic/melodic. How can I load a Razor preset directly from hardware and tweak the parameters ?

I am treating Maschine as a plugin which comes with its own hardware controller, in the same way that people have been using Geist, Guru or other drum plugins within Live. So my "controller" is basically bigger (Push + Maschine), but it doesn't change the mouseless aspect, and I am not using overlapping features. So why did it impact your workflow ?

But maybe I am missing an important point here.

coleb

Post by coleb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:35 am

i like the thinking of using maschine as a hardware specific for one plugin ala Geist or Guru. I haven't thought of it like that... I guess because I always make my own kits, picking each sample individually. So all I do is browse the maschine library and drop onto a drum rack. I see your point about using the maschine kits, including effects. I also don't use much other NI stuff like razor. I haven't used the Maschine software lately, it was honestly hard for me to get into when I already was already used to live. But for me, the library of sounds that maschine comes with as well as its versatility as a midi controller for use in live performance is worth it alone. i'm always curious to hear how ableton users are integrating maschine into their workflow :lol:

monohusche

Post by monohusche » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:55 am

coleb wrote:i like the thinking of using maschine as a hardware specific for one plugin ala Geist or Guru. I haven't thought of it like that... I guess because I always make my own kits, picking each sample individually. So all I do is browse the maschine library and drop onto a drum rack. I see your point about using the maschine kits, including effects. I also don't use much other NI stuff like razor. I haven't used the Maschine software lately, it was honestly hard for me to get into when I already was already used to live. But for me, the library of sounds that maschine comes with as well as its versatility as a midi controller for use in live performance is worth it alone. i'm always curious to hear how ableton users are integrating maschine into their workflow :lol:
These are just ideas at this point. like yourself, I used live before getting Maschine, and as much as I liked the content and flexibility selecting sounds, browsing presets as a starting point and tweaking parameters, I always struggled with a duplicate session/clip/scene/sequencing approach.

But so far, there was no way how to sequence drums directly into Live MIDI clips using the hardware controller I had (Maschine). Now with Push (and Maschine), I can clearly separate them for different tasks.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy both just for that, but I happen to have both now, so why not use it ;-) ?

coleb

Post by coleb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:10 am

definitely. i'm going to give this a go tonight.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 am

Just got my Push tonight and have been going back through all the videos and manual to learn about it and am really excited!!

That said, strangely, what occurred to me after an hour or so of futzing about and making a crap track with so-so pre-packed Live sample packs is, how do I get at the sound content I've invested in with Maschine (MK1), but sequence it in Ableton/Push? DRUM RACKS! Which, obviously, lead me here.

Anyway, I saw the thing about "all ins" and get how to do it, but not sure how it's actually supposed to work. So far all drum rack pads just play the bass drum in Group A of Maschine.

Now before Push I had set up Maschine/Ableton with Midi Tracks and External Instruments, but never really loved the workflow duplication.

Anyway, mostly just sayin' "hey" and subscribing to this thread in case there's an update. Not like I don't have plenty of fucking about to do otherwise now. :)

ZALTA19900

Post by ZALTA19900 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:36 pm

I think you may be able to create an empty drum rack and then send it's MIDI to the Maschine track

nigels

Post by nigels » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Hey all, I am the community manager for a new music production related network, http://blend.io, focused specifically on Ableton live allowing users to collaborate on projects. We recently had a user post a project that that addresses an issue I've seen a lot of people address since the release of the push: how can you use the Drum Rack mode in push to sequence external midi instruments (non ableton drum racks), specifically using the features like the awesome step sequencer to program Maschine groups. We thought it was such a useful post we made an extended tutorial on our blog complete with screen shots and a download link for the template. Here is the link to the blog post: http://blnd.io/1aA9F8e . Blend is brand new and still invite only but we created a special invite code: BLOGPUSH so that new people can skip the invite process and get blending right away. check it out!

thronechild

Post by thronechild » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Hey i just want to drop by and say thanks for figuring this out! I'll be using this live and in the studio.

queglay

Post by queglay » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:42 pm

You can load and sequence Maschine kits with Push using the AudioModder VST Bridge. It has Ableton drum rack presets for every standard Maschine kit to be browsed from Push. All samples pre loaded into the drum racks are also an option for you so you don't need the Maschine VST if you choose.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:59 pm

That's pretty badass if it works like it appears to on the tin. Only Maschine-related though?

queglay

Post by queglay » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:18 pm

There's only support for OSX currently, but windows is coming. Despite this, windows users have had success with everything except the reaktor presets.

The Push VST Bridge also has drum racks for Battery 4 and there are also the ableton converted presets for these VSTs -

Drum Racks-
Maschine Kits as drum racks (1 pad per sample to improve routing in ableton)
Maschine Kits as VST (Maintains kit's effects)
Battery 4 Kits as VST
Abbey Road 80's Drums
Abbey Road Modern Drums
Studio Drummer

NI Effects Racks-
Guitar Rig
Soundtoys Effects Racks (64Bit Au Only) -
Crystalizer
Decapitator
Echoboy
FilterFreak 1 & 2

VST Instrument Racks-
Absynth
FM8
Massive
Monark
Prism
Razor
Carbon 2
Skrewell
Spark

Kontakt Presets-
Alicia's Keys
Balinese Gamelan Library
Berlin Concert Grand
Evolve Mutations 1
Evolve Mutations 2
George Duke Soul Treasures
Kontakt Factory Library
New York Concert Grand
Scarbee Guitar and Keys
Session Strings Pro Library
Upright Piano
Vienna Concert Grand
Vintage Organs
West Africa Library

Single presets for-
NI Solid Bus Comp
NI Solid Dynamics
Soundtoys DevilLoc/Deluxe
Soundtoys LittleMicroShift
Soundtoys Radiator/LittleRadiator
Soundtoys PanMan
Soundtoys PhaseMistress
Soundtoys Tremolator

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:43 pm

no maschine expansions i assume?

queglay

Post by queglay » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Not yet, but I'm keen to buy them when I can. There's no deals I know of for buying the whole lot of them so it could be quite an expensive venture.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:26 pm

yeah, i hear ya. they had a deal several months ago to buy nearly all of them for some rock bottom price, of course i was broke that month, lol.