any word from abes on the poor user browsing in push?

Discuss Push with other users.
f45

any word from abes on the poor user browsing in push?

Post by f45 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:22 pm

just wondering if anyone has spoken to ableton support or anyone from ableton has spoke out about the browsing experience in push, its an amazing piece of kit and ableton should be proud of it! buuut the browser is awful to work with when using your own samples i loaded some drums into the user library then went to push and just got a list of 200 drum sounds and the folders had been ignored not great if you dont wanna start trawling all over for fixes :(

djlimbs

Re: any word from abes on the poor user browsing in push?

Post by djlimbs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:00 pm

i've been working on improving Push's browser by hacking the VirtualFolders.cfg and BrowserComponent.pyc files in Live. I emailed Ableton asking for some advice/tips and they said it's generally unsupported to modify those files. They also mentioned they aren't able to comment on how browsing will change in the future. But I was able to separate my kick, snare, etc sounds into subfolders based on the sample library they came from. that was a vast improvement for me. i've just finished writing a tutorial, i want to record a video of the functionality and then plan to post it up!

f45

Post by f45 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 pm

a tutorial sounds good!! I'm gonna attempt i think to have a modify of those files maybe its just crazy how something so well designed in nearly all aspects can have this crazy browser! i have resorted to racking up maschine on a channel n loading a vst in maschine and browsing sounds from that browser then playin the sounds with push lol just to try and get a feel for making music without looking at the screen it worked but its the worst work around ever!

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 pm

I really feel that the browser on L9 and the one on Push should mirror each other

I can't believe you can't use the Push to navigate the browser right down to the User Library, where I have everything I want set-up how I want it, no matter the folder name or how many folders are embedded in my User File Structure (within the standard library structure that already IS the L9 User Library).

Is that too much to wish for

That to me... would seem most intuitive

I don't care much that with VST's, the knobs wont be auto mapped. That's fine, I'll map those how I want them myself and save them to Instrument racks or whatever, that's standard customizing I do already.....

BUT....I still think that Push should place the VST in the rack spot I've choosen to place it. If you can drag and drop it out the browser why wouldn't you be able to load it from PUSH?

f45

Post by f45 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 pm

it just doesnt seem logical not to mirror it or have filters on it, its hard to understand maybe it was really hard to code i have no idea because i dont code,
i think someone from ableton should address the people and explain the logic behind it or better still update it we can play out sexy samples.
It makes me want to cry or complain to the government or take up air guitar.... 8O

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:I really feel that the browser on L9 and the one on Push should mirror each other

I can't believe you can't use the Push to navigate the browser right down to the User Library, where I have everything I want set-up how I want it, no matter the folder name or how many folders are embedded in my User File Structure (within the standard library structure that already IS the L9 User Library).
Good point!

brianbacio

Post by brianbacio » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 pm

When i open up Maschine (yes!) and browse like a breeze so easyly through all my user files and samples, i look at my Push and think : the browser wars have just began.
BrianBacio
a modern computer and all sorts of hardware

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 am

I just read the article with Gerhard Behles

It's seems like he's waiting for us to make the Push awesome with things like M4L

I fucking hate this shit

It's saying to me......

"Oh, you want it to work intuitively" Ableton said "you gotta buy Max for Live and finish what we started on your own, by the way that'll be $200 dollars more"

$200 dollars just for the chance for me to figure it out myself

Fuck that!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:06 am

Pathetic wannabe Steve jobs...

f45

Post by f45 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 pm

your right with the M4L thing fair enough if you wanna make push cook you breakfast programming stuff would be fine but i only wanna load my own sounds lol i agree with you brianbacio when you have used the broswer on M$%^&*^E its hard not to get frustrated...
but i did have a thought that apple, stienburg, Ni etc have paid ableton to do it that way because they know if it works they are all goin down :D
ok maybe not...

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 pm

again, maybe this is just my monome experience coming through here, but i really dont understand all of you who just want it to work out of the box. Making your own unique set up has always been the primary appeal of using ableton live. There's plenty of feature completed closed platforms. If thats what you want, why not go use logic, or maschine, or traktor. The appeal of ableton is that it provides you the tools and the sandbox to make it your own.

brianbacio

Post by brianbacio » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm

@lo.key I understand your point of view, but the goal of monome is to function with apps that crabtree and others have perfected to work with Max. The goal of push is to work perfectly with live, period. One of Pushe's attributes is a browser. And the principal of a browser is to seek and find stuff. Not just some of your stuff. Evrything for god's sake. Is that clear or do i have to sketch it out with a diagram ?
BrianBacio

f45

Post by f45 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 pm

i get what your saying about a unique set up but this is just loading some of your own samples... if you want to just produce music and your primary concern is that only, then this broswer isnt very intuitive i didnt personally buy push to start getting really deep on programming my own broswer or spending extra time/money on M4L after already paying £550 on L9 and push. Also its not a case of moving from ableton just because i dont want to program its main use is music production for me

brianbacio

Post by brianbacio » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:53 pm

This here diagram explains my plight
BrianBacio

f45

Post by f45 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:59 pm

you drawing really captures my emotions right now lol