any word from abes on the poor user browsing in push?

Discuss Push with other users.
randallp

Re: any word from abes on the poor user browsing in push?

Post by randallp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:10 pm

I think for me, Push works as I am not exploring from the Push browser, just selecting presets that I know and have used. It's much easier to find and preview stuff from Live right? When I find something I like I stash it and voila, there it is on the Push.

That said, I'm not much of an electronic/techno chap and maybe I do't really understand what all the fuss is about? I'd certainly appreciate an insight into that world if someone would oblige. Do you use lots of your own samples/sounds? I guess so.

I can't imagine browsing new stuff from Push, all that time scrolling and loading just to hear something you didn't want? Help me here! :)
http://www.iam-pcr.com
Live 9, Push, MountainLion

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:36 pm

thats how i see it myself. the browser was never the appeal, beyond adding an effect or two on the fly. i spend time setting up a flexible template set, once thats done its a matter of playing and tweaking that template. thats the portion of the experience where im looking for a laptop free controller experience. and that seems to be the best use of the push, given its current capabilities.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 pm

My biggest point I can make is.....

I only want what I want in the order I want it! It's not about scrolling, its about hot swapping for me. I'd even take the time to put Hot swaps of my set in exact order.

Push makes that impossible

For Example just try to Delete anything from the Core Library.

Even Ask Ableton they'll tell you "NO"

they wont give you a reason..... they'll just say NO

Dj Limbs has done an awesome job figuring things out but it'll all be for nothing on your next L9 update as it WILL reload all the deleted files.

randallp

Post by randallp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote: It's not about scrolling, its about hot swapping for me. I'd even take the time to put Hot swaps of my set in exact order.
Can you explain that a bit more just for my curiosity? You're hot-swapping instruments on the fly as part of a performance I guess? Can you give an example for me?
http://www.iam-pcr.com
Live 9, Push, MountainLion

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Yeah, I'd like to hot swap during a set.

I've been creating drum racks for all kinds of things in my Live set.

When I seen push for the first time and hear the words "You can access Live's browser via the push" I thought This is gonna be Awesome!

only to find you can't actually access L9's browser, Be that I mean, you actually get a different browser, Push's Browser.

It's set up different than L9 in it's order of things, I was expecting to see the Categories on Push and navigate from there. (I read on this forum time and time again "They changed L9's browser for Push" but they don't even work together at all in truth.)

Push's Browser makes it next to impossible to find the exact Drum rack I need Next. It's cluttered with Packs and Core Library stuff. I don't want to scroll thru everything I want to customize it to be ready to play L9 Live.

I'd like to use my File structure that is based on Key, I have 12 folders where I've set up my drum racks based on the first one I need, then the next and so on.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 pm

randallp wrote:I think for me, Push works as I am not exploring from the Push browser, just selecting presets that I know and have used. It's much easier to find and preview stuff from Live right? When I find something I like I stash it and voila, there it is on the Push.

That said, I'm not much of an electronic/techno chap and maybe I do't really understand what all the fuss is about? I'd certainly appreciate an insight into that world if someone would oblige. Do you use lots of your own samples/sounds? I guess so.

I can't imagine browsing new stuff from Push, all that time scrolling and loading just to hear something you didn't want? Help me here! :)
Maybe Ableton just expects Push users to stick to presets but you'll find that a lot of people like to browse their own samples, and in an efficient manner.

For example, Maschine just works out of the box with multiple levels of tags (including the ability to add custom tags of your own) to quickly find anything, and even lets you audition sounds as you browse without having to load them first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8bsWEWt0A

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:44 pm

@humnumb, you do realize what youre doing, right? Or is this all just subconscious? Like a tic, or something?
Last edited by lo.key on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm

humnumb wrote:
randallp wrote:I think for me, Push works as I am not exploring from the Push browser, just selecting presets that I know and have used. It's much easier to find and preview stuff from Live right? When I find something I like I stash it and voila, there it is on the Push.

Maybe Ableton just expects Push users to stick to presets but you'll find that a lot of people like to browse their own samples, and in an efficient manner.

For example, Maschine just works out of the box with multiple levels of tags (including the ability to add custom tags of your own) to quickly find anything, and even lets you audition sounds as you browse without having to load them first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8bsWEWt0A[/quote]

By all means I don't want to turn this into a Push vs Maschine, and I realize Push is still pretty much in a ver. 1.0 stage with many more neat things on the horizon. That being said, I just received my Maschine Mk2 and I gotta go with humnumb on this one. I'm hopeful that in time we will see Push arise to the level that Maschine is right now when it comes to browsing.

and now a question, no wait I better post this on the NI Maschine forum. Anyway, I'm still very pleased over all with my Push, again except for the multi-colored white lights.

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:59 pm

You still need to add files and tag them in Maschine for them to come up in the Browser...not quite out of the box but very close and amazing once setup. One cool thing w/ Push + Browser hack is once you have your folders setup, adding samples to the folders automatically adds them into the Browser categories. That's great for me because I often chop + add new drum sounds to my personal library. but yea, I'm dreading the next update and having to re-hack everything

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:32 pm

djlimbs wrote:You still need to add files and tag them in Maschine for them to come up in the Browser...not quite out of the box but very close and amazing once setup.
You can quickly import and tag multiple files at once.

You can also just browse your hard drive's folder structure directly from the disk tab in Maschine just like most other daws.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:It's such a huge bitch to have to organize
I have to agree with you completely on these points.
Asymmetricalmusic wrote:I want an integrated browser with L9 and Push mirroring each other so I can easily make changes and instantly it on Push ready to go.
The very first thing that made me do a double take was that after pressing 'browse' on Push and scrolling the yellow bar in the Browser within Live didn't move. This sort of stuff seems fundamental. If I were in charge at Ableton HQ I'd be asking some stern questions.
Asymmetricalmusic wrote:but yeah I'm planning to but I'm putting everything off to see what develops out of the continued changes that might still be made to this product.

In short I'm gonna kill somebody if I start to reorganize, and Ableton decides to implement what should have been there in the first place
Would it be possible to make your changes now, then if Ableton release an update you could use one of the many free differencing and merging tools available to get your changes into the new script? Not sure if this is viable or not.
lo.key wrote:@humnumb, you do realize what youre doing, right? Or is this all just subconscious? Like a tic, or something?
:roll: lo.key I merely view that guy as the 'special kid in the class' that only knows the answer to 1 question and repeats it often while staring at you with his.. cold... dead. eyes. :|

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:05 pm

panten wrote:This sort of stuff seems fundamental. If I were in charge at Ableton HQ I'd be asking some stern questions.
Totally agree.

login

Post by login » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm

We told them time and time again browser had too much focus on Ableton content and no one on user's. It's even more evident with push.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:49 am

Hey Guys,

I'll just step in to say we hear you, and take note of most of what goes forum, even if we can't always answer or say what's next. Things change, features are weighed and estimated and we don't want to set false expectations.

I'll tell you how I use Push for now: My drum one shots go into User Library/Drum Hits and then I manually put them into correctly named folders (e.g. Kick, HiHat, Snare). Then they show up on Push when you browse from a drum pad.

I know that doesn't solve all of your (or my wishes) but hopefully it's a start.
Jesse

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 am

brianbacio wrote:This here diagram explains my plight