Anyone NOT getting the tinting/coloration of the white pads?

Discuss Push with other users.
donmich

Anyone NOT getting the tinting/coloration of the white pads?

Post by donmich » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Seems this is actually the norm. Abletons boilerplate response indicates that there will not be much effort put into resolving it. Its a shame man. I have preordered one, and have been dying for it to show up, but I know myself and can see having difficulty looking past this. I likely wont be able to tune it out.

panten

Re: Anyone NOT getting the tinting/coloration of the white pads?

Post by panten » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 pm

I personally don't see what the huge fuss is about. (apart from the few extreme cases that some users have posted here)
Mine shows very mild variation in hue but it's really faint and something I personally quite like. It certainly doesn't detract from using the device.

There is another post on here that shows up very extreme variation but the guy admitted to altering the hue/saturation in Photoshop to try and match what he was seeing on his monitor to the Push pads. Problem with this is that everyone's monitors are calibrated differently and what we might see as VERY extreme might not actually be what he was trying to match.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it until you get yours.

btw mine was 'Made in Taiwan' also.

Ursadorable

Post by Ursadorable » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Check out some videos on YouTube with people using the push in dimly lit rooms. Those white keys run the entire gamut of shaded colours. At this point I'm probably going to sell mine when it arrives if there's no satisfactory response from Ableton on how they are going to fix it. It's bad enough that they outright misled people with every push coming with a copy of Ableton Live Intro.. poor engineering and/or QC makes me question their interest in customer satisfaction. As I'll be a first time Ableton customer with my Push, I'm not pleased with what I've been seeing thus far.

donmich

Post by donmich » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:34 pm

I think they care about customer sat. They have answered every email I have ever sent, have helped however they could when I needed it and so on, but I just dont think they plan on eating every push that was sent out on the first run. Depending on the contract with Akai or Akai's factory, I know from painful experience in the electronics manufactuing business, that the factory and or the OEM company that makes a product specs these kinds of things to within a certain tolerance and failure range, and if the defect falls within that they wont eat it. The brand company has to. We had several premium AV receiver models show up with defective parts (some would even cause sparking or excessive heat) and we had to track down and swap the parts out locally and discout the entire run because the boxes were opened. What used to happen with the Chinese factories fairly regularly is that some rep from a parts manufacturer would approach the factory itself with an "equivalent" part for a fraction of the cost. Or this would happen with a board manufacturer that our factories buy from. Its very hard to control. The factory or part/board manufacturer would buy it, hoping to save like $.06 per part, since techincally the contracts where we were in the chain dont deal with things at the small component level, and of course they wouldnt tell us.

In most cases, with known issues, our service departments were instructed to act as if it was normal and fix on an as needed basis most of the time - and 90% of the time we would never officially admit a problem. As well there is the complaint factor. If only 30% of the buyers made noise, and we only had to deal with them, its far cheaper than a recall. Also, if you take a huge hit like this it can kill your cash flow and sometimes the banks wont float whatever debt may already be in place so you can recoup from the problem. Ableton probably had to borrow a shit load of cash to make these things and are still on the hook.

All this said, I feel for them. But I have my own financial problems. I cant be handingover $600 for something everyone knows is most likely a QC issue. I hope they succeed with push but I also hope the problem is ironed out.

MisterBodega

Post by MisterBodega » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 pm

The tinting bothered me a bit when I first got it, so I understand about not being able to tune it out. If it bugs you, it's pretty easy to change the colors to eliminate white pads. I downloaded a user color scheme from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192043
and tweaked it until I was happy.

I'd be missing out if I'd let this issue sour Push for me. It's not perfect, but it's a solid piece of kit that's going to revolutionize the way I make music, and I'd rather spend my time making music than sitting around all outraged.

featherodd

Post by featherodd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Ursadorable wrote:poor engineering and/or QC makes me question their interest in customer satisfaction. As I'll be a first time Ableton customer with my Push, I'm not pleased with what I've been seeing thus far.
It's an extremely minor issue that does not detract from it being an incredible instrument and ultra intuitive controller. I just wrote this reply on the issue > viewtopic.php?p=1503749#p1503749

Don't worry about it. Wait till you actually get your Push. If it's actually a deal breaker issue for you, you should have no problem selling yours on ebay considering that it's now backordered well into the summer.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:28 pm

The last email I received fro Ableton stated they were looking into possible options for a fix/work around and they would contact me if/when they come up with one. Those are my words, not verbatim theirs.

Disfigurine

Post by Disfigurine » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 pm

The issue is that I'm gonna feel like an idiot if I hang on to it and ableton fixes it in the next batch of shipments due this summer. And according to their response to my concern, I had asked them if warranty will cover an LED fix if newer shipments do not contain LED inconsistency, their short answer is "No" read bellow for full correspondence.
thanks for getting back to us and sorry for the inconvenience with Push.

At the moment, we can only say that slight color variances might appear with the LEDs displaying white - they should still be well distinguishable from the other color states.

Depending on the user feedback we get, we will consider looking into this again, but for now, I can't tell you anything about planned fixes or timeframes.

If this is an unacceptable situation for you, you can of course return your unit for a full refund.

Regards,
thanks for getting back on this.

As I said be fore, we're currently investigating possible fixes, but nothing is set so far, and there's no timeframe.

Since slight LED color varieties are always expected, especially for white color, this issue won't be covered by the warranty.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
So take this how you will I guess.
Last edited by Disfigurine on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Disfigurine wrote:The issue is that I'm gonna feel like an idiot if I hang on to it and ableton fixes it in the next batch of shipments due this summer. And according to their response to my concern, I had asked them if warranty will cover an LED fix if newer shipments do not contain LED inconsistency, their short answer is "No" read bellow for full correspondence.
thanks for getting back to us and sorry for the inconvenience with Push.

At the moment, we can only say that slight color variances might appear with the LEDs displaying white - they should still be well distinguishable from the other color states.

Depending on the user feedback we get, we will consider looking into this again, but for now, I can't tell you anything about planned fixes or timeframes.

If this is an unacceptable situation for you, you can of course return your unit for a full refund.

Regards,
So take this how you will I guess.
Your reply is different than mine, especially the part about, ''Depending on the user feedback we get, .......'
I also have another Push on back order that I will take delivery of when the store I purchased it from gets their shipment, then I will compare the two. One or the other will go back, or on EBay, so time will tell if the next batch is the same/better/worse. I also just ordered a Maschine MK2 so it will be interesting to see if that unit has the off color white pads too.

Disfigurine

Post by Disfigurine » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:45 pm

I just posted my second reply too. They relied twice for some reason. The second one posted addresses the warranty issue.

I also own maschine mk2, which displayed colors perfectly.
Last edited by Disfigurine on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ursadorable

Post by Ursadorable » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Coming from FL Studio with it's lifetime free updates et al, Push is my first foray into the world of Ableton to give it a serious look. Getting told to suck it up and too bad does not inspire confidence for me to every buy another Ableton product again. Thankfully I can sell it easily enough if I find it annoying.