Force Push browser to show instruments instead of effects?

Discuss Push with other users.
adamj

Force Push browser to show instruments instead of effects?

Post by adamj » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:19 pm

I have an EQ8 on every track but no instruments, in my default set. This saves a little time, because I always end up EQ'ing.

With this setup, the first thing I want to do is add some instruments. But Push's browser only shows me effects. The manual states "What you see when in Browse Mode depends on the device that was last selected. If you were working with an instrument, Browse Mode will show you replacement instruments. If you were working with an effect, you will see effects."

Well, there were no instruments to select, so I'm never even given the chance to browse instruments on the Push.

I run into similar problems if I ever delete the track's instrument with the push, and then try to browse for a new device.

Is there a workaround? If not, I have an idea... make the browse button always show instruments when the current track does not have an instrument. There's a dedicated "Add Effect" button anyway, so I don't see how this would cause any problems.
Adam Murray
Live 9 + Push on OS X 10.10

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Force Push browser to show instruments instead of effects?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:45 pm

It's shift and Add effect

BUT you can't be in the browser so press "Device" then hold Shift while pressing "Add Effect"

Hope that helps

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 pm

^That only allows me to add another effect but I'm using 9.0.1 so your situation might be different. If you end up needing a workaround just put any instrument before the EQ, save your template, hit browse to replace the instrument as you work.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Weird, I just double checked and it's work fine for me.

I'll trade you my Browser functions for your Pad Sensitivity?

adamj

Post by adamj » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Shift + Add Effect works for me. Thanks! I'm using Live 9.0.2.
Adam Murray
Live 9 + Push on OS X 10.10

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:12 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:Weird, I just double checked and it's work fine for me.

I'll trade you my Browser functions for your Pad Sensitivity?
You could revert to 9.0.1. I think that might do the trick. I'm not %100 sure though. Support might be able to answer that though it will probably take a few days. I don't remember seeing anything in the beta notes about it either but you could check there and see when they updated it. Maybe it's just a demo thing though. Which could suck. I'm not excited to find out.

monohusche

Post by monohusche » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:20 pm

not sure about 9.01 vs 9.02, but the behaviour makes sense to me.

"browse" allows you to get into "hotswap" mode, so it makes sense that the previously/currently selected device determines what gets shown. If you are in a track with only EQ8, then EQ8 is selected, hence the effects list is shown.

"Add effect" adds an device to the right of the current device which in this case (EQ8) only allows other audio devices to be added (no instruments).
"Shift" +"Add effect" adds an device to the left which could be anything in this case, but it shows the instrument selection first in this case.