Push Secrets - aka tiny tips

Discuss Push with other users.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: Push Secrets - aka tiny tips

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Most people probably know this already but for anyone starting out with Push: One thing I think is cool is that Ableton's more complex devices have a "best of" parameter page now. So you first select a device like Operator you get the most useful parameters but then you have to press the In button to get to the normal pages. At first it confused me a bit because there weren't more pages of parameters until you go "In" as if it were an invisible rack.
Professional Shark Jumper.

manutech

Post by manutech » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 pm

SHift + Add Effect to add a MIDI effect.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:07 am

Seriously guys, just play with it - try different hold, shift + button combinations, I reckon that might uncover various hidden features.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:55 am

Id take an owners manual over figure it out yourself any day

panten

Post by panten » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:49 am

I'm in two minds over this for a number of reasons.

A really dry manual that covers all the features isn't much fun for a bit of light bedtime reading, but very useful as reference if you dive straight in to discover intuitively how it all works and get stuck.

I do a lot of 3d Modelling professionally and feel the same way about this when I need to learn a new package.

The best methods for me to learn in this order:

- noodling around on your own to discover intuitively what it's all about.
- Sitting next to someone who knows what they're doing that you can ask lots of noob questions.
- watching video tutorials, from getting started, through intermediate, to advanced.
- written tutorials w/ pictures
- dry manual

This isn't necessarily the actual order in which you would learn.

I feel Ableton could provide a lot more in the way of video tutorials with different working examples of how to.. And not just 4/4 beat making.
Last edited by panten on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:14 am

manutech wrote:Tip: Shift + Add Effect to add a MIDI effect.
And I almost thought they missed that or I have to wait for an update. I am so free to quote it bold.

jsn

Post by jsn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Using the Sequent> scale mode (together with 128's) is a great way to find just the right sample to fit the mix, fast. You've got 8 octaves on 64 pads right there at your fingertips in this mode. You could also have several drum and fx kits loaded for realtime performance, etc.

It's also just nice to have a full 8 oct keyboard at your fingertips when programing synths. Maybe you want a few splits or key zones. Push can control your hardware when you arm that external channel so then you have 8 oct to get some nice portamento builds/glides...osc sync or anything that is modulated via key tracking.

Keep your tips coming!
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Thu May 02, 2013 12:36 am

Use Stepsequenzer to play intruments and edit recorded midi notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXglJXNXvGs

AWESOME! :D

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 am

Hauke wrote:Use Stepsequenzer to play intruments and edit recorded midi notes:

Super awesome

I even love that's it in German. thou I don't speak a word of it, I think I understand completely! Very nice thanks!

panten

Post by panten » Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Awesome work on the tips fellas.

Here's another one I don't think is in the manual and I don't know why I never noticed this before.

Tip: When Browsing if you press the Load button when it's Amber it will automatically load the next Preset.
Last edited by panten on Thu May 02, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Thu May 02, 2013 6:46 pm

panten wrote:Awesome work on the tips fellas.

Here's another one I don't think is in the manual and I don't know why I never noticed this before.

Tip:When Browsing if you press the Load button when it's Amber it will automatically load the next Preset.
Sorry, I forgot to put that here. It is in my tutorial video though :)

panten

Post by panten » Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Oh nice one Hauke. Great tutorial btw even though I know bugger all German I managed to follow it to the point where I got the Instrument working with the step sequencer. I missed that part where you explained stepping through presets.. honest :)

Hauke

Post by Hauke » Thu May 02, 2013 7:24 pm

panten wrote:Oh nice one Hauke. Great tutorial btw even though I know bugger all German I managed to follow it to the point where I got the Instrument working with the step sequencer. I missed that part where you explained stepping through presets.. honest :)
The part with the browsing through the presets is in the first tutorial I made (Up Around The Bend on Ableton Push). It is completely in german but I am trying to update the captions. They are working properly in the Stepsequencer For Instruments video already.

thronechild

Post by thronechild » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Maybe everyone is already working this way, but I just stumbled upon something neat with Push and Live 9.

You can record automation into an empty clip for whatever parameter you want to adjust and then let it loop and start to play push (or any other midi device) through note mode and jam while your automation is going.

Also I just used this on an audio track to to run my vocals through effects that change while I sing, this is a great feature for live performance!

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:11 am

Hauke wrote:Use Stepsequenzer to play intruments and edit recorded midi notes:

Watching your video and then trying this out, I do not get the yellow lit drum pads after Grouping to a Drum rack. It does switch to drum mode and I can play the notes.
They do turn blue as you play them but the yellow drum pads are barely lit? I selected "ALL notes" What am I not seeing/doing correctly? I'm trying this with Omnisphere..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2