Push Secrets - aka tiny tips

Discuss Push with other users.
aioffermann

Re: Push Secrets - aka tiny tips

Post by aioffermann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 am

humnumb wrote:Actually, people have found that you can access at least 480 ppqn positions using the 'swing' knob method (visually) and that nudging with the swing knob in the step mode you get either 27 or 30 positions per space with 128 grid.

Also, from the same thread you linked to:
"You can make edits finer than 96ppq if you go into step sequencer mode and adjust the swing knob whilst you hold down the pad represnting the hit you wish to shift. Using this method with grid off I believe the resolution is 960 ppqn.

Practically I usually prefer do such adjustments with the grid on 16. The hardware will then indicate adjustments in terms of hundredths of 16th notes (a resolution of 400 ppqn) which is a high enough resolution for most musical needs and I find very easy to get my head around.

Because Maschine note adjustments always relate to the tempo of the track you need to do calculations yourself if you need to know millisecond values of these timing adjustments."

"Indeed. Did not know about step mode res. On my mk2 though it moves in 0.2 increments and skips odd numbers. That would be 480"
I get to thinking, "Why the hell didn't they let nudge do that as well?". Maybe for increased flexibility. That's pretty cool actually. Have my homie's Maschine at the moment, will try sequencing my external synths with it.

Your'e still annoying though :wink:

panten

Post by panten » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:35 am

agent314 wrote:I learned the same goes for Repeat - held down, you get momentary repeat, without having to toggle.
thanks for that Tip man didn't notice that one.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:That is some pretty fine resolution. Can you listen to what you're working on while in step sequencer mode?
Yes.

panten

Post by panten » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Got any Push tips of your own?
Let's try to keep this thread on topic thanks. You've got other threads to chat about M. please use them.

If you don't mind I'd like to point you to the community guidelines
In particular the section:

Respect Conversations

When entering a thread, please pay attention to what the conversation is about, and stick to the topic at hand. Feel free to start a discussion for a new topic if you can’t find it after searching through previous posts: http://forum.ableton.com/search.php

Keep your cool

Please avoid trolling, spamming, flaming, and bullying. If you’ve said your piece, don’t keep posting it in the hope of reaching a new audience.

I certainly don't think you're respecting these points.
So I kindly ask you to refrain or take your trolling to the Lounge where it belongs. Certainly not in a thread where people who have spent a fair amount of money on Ableton's new hardware controller would like to discuss it in peace without having to deal with your particular brand of 'constructive criticism'.

thanks

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:45 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
humnumb wrote:
lococobra wrote:I'm not aware of a way to do this directly from Maschine either
You can layer samples on the same pad easily from the Maschine hardware. When you are browsing samples, there is an ADD button that lets you add samples to the same pad. You can layer up to 128 samples per pad in Maschine. It's also easy to remove/replace layered samples from just the hardware.
Please post one of your YouTubes detailing how to stack drums and edit the individual samples in the stack

Thanks
Hum, not to bug you about this but can you post one of your YouTubes on the above topic? Also, can you post one of your YouTubes on how to import midi clips with automation from Maschine into Live?

To keep this thread clean, you can PM me

Thanks
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Panoramica

Post by Panoramica » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:11 am

I don't know how 'secret' this tip is, but as I'm enjoying this thread, here's my solution for clip 'tails' which i came up with tonight:

The scenario is that you want to have a dry clip loop playing, and when it stops playing you want a little delay or reverb so that it doesn't just stop cold.

Add a clip End Marker shortly after the end of the loop. This is the point the clip will play to when looping is toggled off. Add an effect to the track with an envelope which ramps up after the end of the loop region. To stop the clip and hear the tail effect, toggle the clip 'Loop' to 'Off' on the Push controller.

This technique could also be used for automatic fade outs. It's also nice to be able to toggle the loop back 'On' and then retrigger the clip right afterwards.

Be sure to add envelopes to any other clips on the track, to disable or ramp down the tail effect so that it's not applied unintentionally, or add a clip volume envelope to the tailed clip so that you can move the end marker out and disable the effect once it has finished (eg in 4 bars).

Cheers,
Dan
Panoramica. Lush Downbeat.
Website / Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Twitter

MacBook Pro 2011 (2 GHz, 8 GB RAM) + OS X 10.8.3
Ableton Standard 9 + Push
NI Maschine Mk1
RME Babyface

cyklops

Post by cyklops » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:05 pm

With CLIP screen focused (below pan and send on your Push)

When you have a clip thats say 32bars and you have just the last 2 bars at the end looped and you want to zoom to fit the 2 bar loop, quickly touch the position encoder then straight after the length encoder and you get your clip zoomed to fit the screen.

It seems to be a bit buggy still (sometimes does not zoom and you have to do it again) but its a cool feature and i hope for more "touch encoder features"

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Here's one I just noticed. When you want to cycle through racks and devices in 'browse' mode, you only need to press the load button and it automatically loads the next preset........ A small one but its just halved my button press count :)

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:15 am

Ryder17 wrote:Untill ableton make browsing more efficient, you can at least make your own and most used presets stay on top by renaming them with a space at the start
I was actually going to post as my tip: "don't waste your time trying to use the browser, the computer is right next to you anyway and it's a billion times better for browsing"

I wouldn't hold out for it to be improved that much, they can't work miracles and working with a little LCD after you are used to a computer screen is never going to be satisfying. They've significantly reduced "computer time", personally I think that's as good as it will get, short of using something like an iPad. It just takes me so much longer trying to browse and do fiddly things like that on the little screen it totally negates all the time it's saved me in other areas, so it's a false economy.

[/2c]

Post by » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:16 am

I just discovered one. Stopped playback and had a hanging note, couldn't see a way to get rid of it through Push so felt like I was also left hanging... then suddenly: shift + play = stop button functionality! Pressed once to return to start, twice to kill all audio. Nice.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:28 am

nice! ^

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:12 pm

panten wrote:agent314: I see what you did there and I LIKE it :D

Just discovered another one that doesn't seem to be in the docs.

Tip: If in Note Mode and you push and hold Session it acts temporarily. Allowing you to launch clips then release the Session button to jump straight back into Note mode.
This also works in reverse, too. :)

shootdaj

Post by shootdaj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm

panten wrote:agent314: I see what you did there and I LIKE it :D

Just discovered another one that doesn't seem to be in the docs.

Tip: If in Note Mode and you push and hold Session it acts temporarily. Allowing you to launch clips then release the Session button to jump straight back into Note mode.

Ryder17 cheers for that one. I've been giving mine a prefix of _NAME which serves the same purpose of putting them at the top of the list but a space might look a bit nicer
This actually works for a lot of buttons. Another example is when you're in the Note mode, and instead of hitting the Scales button, if you hold it down, it goes into the scale selection screen only momentarily, and goes back to the note mode when you release it. I believe this may also work for Track/Device/other global buttons. Haven't verified it with those buttons, but I figured it to be a feature of most buttons.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:48 pm

TIP: Press and HOLD 'Add Track' and you will be given a choice of Audio, Midi or Return as a new track option.

:D

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Citizen wrote:TIP: Press and HOLD 'Add Track' and you will be given a choice of Audio, Midi or Return as a new track option.

:D
NNNNNiiiiiiiiiiiiCCCCEeeeeeeee!