What am I doing wrong? Recording automation in arrangement

Discuss Push with other users.
Daniel_S

What am I doing wrong? Recording automation in arrangement

Post by Daniel_S » Wed May 07, 2014 6:48 pm

In Live 8, I could simply select a track (in arrangement view), press record and it would record whatever automation I would apply.

Now, in Live 9 I just can't get it to work. The best I can get is for it to record my automation but at the same time it is recording a new clip over the top of my previous clip - which I do not want.

Any ideas?

At the moment, I've got the track selected, the Arrangement Arm button selected, the Overdub button selected and then I press record - this is the only way I have found so far which will record my automation - BUT it overwrites the clip with a new one.

Any help much appreciated as this is driving me mad at the mo :x

infernal.machine

Re: What am I doing wrong? Recording automation in arrangement

Post by infernal.machine » Wed May 07, 2014 7:30 pm

I think if you unarm the track it might work, but I don't have Live with me right now to check...

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Wed May 07, 2014 7:34 pm

I want to say you don't need overdub on either...

Try just turning automation arm on, unarming the track, and pressing global record.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 am

infernal.machine wrote:I want to say you don't need overdub on either...

Try just turning automation arm on, unarming the track, and pressing global record.
Yep, this is what I used to do in Live 8, but for some reason in Live 9, I can't fully disarm the track - it's either pink or red?

If I turn the overdub off, then it completely overwrites the notes within the clip as well as create a new one. Leaving overdub on, means it still creates a new clip but leaves the notes intact.

I'm sure you are right regarding disarming the track as that is what I used to do but I cant seem to do that in Live 9.

Any ideas on how to disarm the track fully so that the Arm button is just the normal grey (off), instead of pink or red (I'm not even sure what the difference is between the pink and red states anyway).

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu May 08, 2014 12:10 pm

I should add that it seemed to only start doing this when I got Push.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu May 08, 2014 1:25 pm

I am not at my Push right now, but if I recall correctly, what I do is copy the clip over to Session view, record the automation there, and then copy back. Not elegant, but it works fairly well.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu May 08, 2014 1:54 pm

re:dream wrote:I am not at my Push right now, but if I recall correctly, what I do is copy the clip over to Session view, record the automation there, and then copy back. Not elegant, but it works fairly well.
I was hoping this wouldn't be the solution...

I like to record a tracks automation while playing through the whole arrangement within arrangement view. Seems more natural that way.
Not only that but I have 2 bar repeating clips that I would like to automate over the course of lets say 16 bars - I cant do that within Session view unless I change the clip length in Session to 16 bars just for the sake of automating it the way I want to.

Surely this cant be the case, after what seemed so easy to do before I installed Push... :?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu May 08, 2014 1:56 pm

Daniel_S wrote: Not only that but I have 2 bar repeating clips that I would like to automate over the course of lets say 16 bars - I cant do that within Session view unless I change the clip length in Session to 16 bars just for the sake of automating it the way I want to.

Or unlinking the automation and setting the automation length for however long you want it.
Daniel_S wrote:
Surely this cant be the case, after what seemed so easy to do before I installed Push... :?

Yes, it is a niggle.

Arrangement view functionality for Push is my number one wish for Live 9.2

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu May 08, 2014 2:17 pm

re:dream wrote:
Daniel_S wrote: Not only that but I have 2 bar repeating clips that I would like to automate over the course of lets say 16 bars - I cant do that within Session view unless I change the clip length in Session to 16 bars just for the sake of automating it the way I want to.

Or unlinking the automation and setting the automation length for however long you want it.
Didn't know about this feature - thanks, it will help as a workaround :)

Still cant understand why the automation in arrangement view is so messed up with Push. I cant even do it with the mouse, like I used to in the past.

Does having Push connected completely remove the possibility of proper arrangement automation across all connected devices such as my mouse or Oxygen 25?

Seems like a huge oversight to me.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu May 08, 2014 2:19 pm

Don't know what you're doing wrong, but it perfectly works.
The track has to be unarmed, but there's no problem if it's pink due to Push. OVR have to be on also.

(This is my 666th post :twisted: )

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu May 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
Don't know what you're doing wrong, but it perfectly works.
The track has to be unarmed, but there's no problem if it's pink due to Push. OVR have to be on also.

(This is my 666th post :twisted: )
Could you tell me exactly what you do and do not have selected when recording automation within arrangement view please? I have tried what seems like all possibilities and cant get it to work as it should.

When you do it, does it just record the automation over your existing clips within that track, leaving them intact? Or does it overwrite your clips with a new one?

Do you have Push installed too?

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu May 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Here is an example of what I would LIKE to do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk8VivHiCWY

Notice how it just records the automation over the clip and does not record a new overwriting the existing clip as it records.

He does not have the OVR button selected. If I do not have the OVR button selected then it records a new clip over my old one AND loses all of the notes within my clip as it records.

This only started happening when I installed Push from what I can tell.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Ok.... so it seems judging by this video, that you can do it with Push but it has to be in Session mode (on the Push unit itself, not Note) which will completely disarm the track.

I cant test this out until I get home tonight but hoping it works as demoed here :)

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Fri May 09, 2014 8:22 am

For those that are interested are having to use workarounds when using Push within automation...

The simple solution to this was to put the Push into Session mode while you are in Arrangement view, this FULLY disarms all of the tracks and lets you record on the fly automation in arrangement with your Push controller.

If the arm button is pink or red, it will not work.
if OVR is selected it will not work.

Just thought I'd clear this up as the previous posts are very misleading.

:)

snaakes

Post by snaakes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:58 am

Daniel_S wrote:For those that are interested are having to use workarounds when using Push within automation...

The simple solution to this was to put the Push into Session mode while you are in Arrangement view, this FULLY disarms all of the tracks and lets you record on the fly automation in arrangement with your Push controller.

If the arm button is pink or red, it will not work.
if OVR is selected it will not work.

Just thought I'd clear this up as the previous posts are very misleading.

:)
Thank you for this! I had the exact same problem and found it really difficult to explain or look up. I was having the pink/red issue too and going nuts trying to figure out how to do this.