Thoughts on Push a few weeks on?

Discuss Push with other users.
Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Thoughts on Push a few weeks on?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:40 pm

I really feel like a lot things like Native Kontrols stuff should be regular standard push functions

I don't mean to say NK isn't doing awesome stuff,

I just feel many of these functions could've been implemented in Push already.

My biggest gripe is Ableton had one situation for Push to be used for and everything else wasn't even considered, simple things like maybe users will want to use multiple external synth while using Push which currently isn't working as Push doesn't respect Arm exclusive in preferences.......

I'm still waiting for 9.0.3 to see what other basic ableton stuff was excluded from Pushs functions,

but hey we have the option to pay some else to have these basic functions so how can I complain?
Last edited by Asymmetricalmusic on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote: I'm still waiting for 9.0.3 to what other basic ableton stuff was excluded from Pushs functions,
Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but 9.0.3 has officially been released already…
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:08 pm

9.0.3 got recalled cause it caused more bugs than it fixed...... That's just horrible business

shootdaj

Post by shootdaj » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:I really feel like a lot things like Native Kontrols stuff should be regular standard push functions

I don't mean to say NK isn't doing awesome stuff,

I just feel many of these functions could've been implemented in Push already.

My biggest gripe is Ableton had one situation for Push to be used for and everything else wasn't even considered, simple things like maybe users will want to use multiple external synth while using Push which currently isn't working as Push doesn't respect Arm exclusive in preferences.......

I'm still waiting for 9.0.3 to see what other basic ableton stuff was excluded from Pushs functions,

but hey we have the option to pay some else to have these basic functions so how can I complain?

I agree, some of the features of PXT-Live (nativeKontrol's script for Push) are awesome and I don't see why Ableton didn't include things like Note Sequencing etc.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:9.0.3 got recalled cause it caused more bugs than it fixed...... That's just horrible business
The whole of version 9 and push has been a joke, my push sits on the desk unused and I have gone back to using version 8.

panten

Post by panten » Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm

BobTheDog wrote: The whole of version 9 and push has been a joke, my push sits on the desk unused and I have gone back to using version 8.
Don't want to start a bun fight here but I'm curious, why do you feel this way? I'm using mine every day and it's very stable and great fun to use.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm

panten wrote:
BobTheDog wrote: The whole of version 9 and push has been a joke, my push sits on the desk unused and I have gone back to using version 8.
Don't want to start a bun fight here but I'm curious, why do you feel this way? I'm using mine every day and it's very stable and great fun to use.
Well the number one reason is the browser, what a step backwards.

Number two reason, bad performance with much higher cpu figures than 8, slow startup, slow shutdown. Just slower

Number three: Less stable than 8.

I'm going to wait until 9.1.0 and then give it another go. Maybe they would have got Push a little more useful by then as well.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Almost everybody else I've talked to has had more stability and better performance with 9.

Sucks that's not the case for you.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri May 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Are they on OSX?

9 is much worse for me.

8 I can run with a buffer size of 64, 9 glitches like mad at this setting.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri May 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Here are the cpu figures for Live 9 and 8, no project even loaded at 64 buffer:

live 9, empty project, buffer size 64 - Cpu = 45%
live 8, empty project, buffer size 64 - Cpu = 13%

As you can see thats quite a difference!

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri May 03, 2013 7:03 pm

8 instances of Omnisphere, nothing playing

8 = 56%
9 = 84%

8 instances of Omnisphere playing

8 = 90%
9 = 140%

These tests are with 8 at 64 buffer and 9 at 256

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri May 03, 2013 7:05 pm

p.s. This is a MacPro 8 core with 12GB ram, 4 disk raid 0

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri May 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Imac - specs in signature
16 GB

Idling at 17%
One audio, one External Instrument and one instance of Omnisphere.
In Live 8, idled at 7-8 %, my buffer ran smooth at 64, now squeaking 128..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Fri May 03, 2013 10:58 pm

I've had my Push about 2 1/2 weeks, but typically have been working shift work and attending some other important functions (read family things my wife says I have to go along to in my days off) so have had limited time to explore Push, but the few hours I have had I find it quite intuitive and know it will facilitate my creativity, as I have already sketched out about 8 compositions that would have taken me as many weeks in about 4 hours total. Add the extra functionality scripts like NativeKontrol PXT (awesome even in beta, let me tell you!) and no doubt others will develop and it is a game changer for me. Very happy I invested.
As for OSX and Live 9 stability, I've had no issues here, either on my 1 year old MacBookPro or my 4 year old iMac. I don't use many 3rd party VST's however. I haven't had time yet to hook up my analogue synths as external instruments so will see how things go there.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records