Keys / Push Pads / Workflow Change

Discuss Push with other users.
lyovino

Keys / Push Pads / Workflow Change

Post by lyovino » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Just wondering how users are getting on using Push for recording as opposed to your keys.
Have you eliminated your keys all together or are you using them differently and or Push for writing?

In other words, how has it changed your workflow? Are you using keys a lot less?
I'm no keyboard player by a far stretch and trying to come to some grips with Push in the picture..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

badeshi

Re: Keys / Push Pads / Workflow Change

Post by badeshi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:18 pm

bit different but great for chords and coming up with melodies. Havent touched keyboard as much...

[art]

Post by [art] » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 pm

It's a pretty different feel. Pads are all about the force you strike them with.

But if think about a key, there is a distance between the natural resting state of a key, and the distance between that resting point and the striking of a note.

This is a weighted feel, which provides a kind of resistance, almost a rubber band type feel.

With Push, or Pads in general, this kind of resistance doesn't exist. It's all about your strike, how much force you hit with.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 am

badeshi wrote:bit different but great for chords and coming up with melodies. Havent touched keyboard as much...
Like I said earlier, I'm not really a player. I was hoping not to use keys at all and regain the real estate on the studio desk, but somehow I don't think I'm ready to give up on the hardware synth just yet. I'm sure there are players that will never give them up. I guess you have to look at it like another instrument sitting there in the studio..
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 am

I was on the fence between a hardware synth and a Push. It's probably better that I went with Push for now as I can get a lot more out of Live and free softsynths over a single affordable hardware synth at this point. As far as the layout goes it's waaaaay better for me than a keyboard layout. The scales function has taken me into new territory and the layout lends itself really well to playability. Numerous guitarists have said that it's more intuitive for them than a traditional keyboard layout. You still have to learn how to play it a little but it's quite fun to learn so far.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:51 am

SuburbanThug wrote:I was on the fence between a hardware synth and a Push. It's probably better that I went with Push for now as I can get a lot more out of Live and free softsynths over a single affordable hardware synth at this point.
Would you say that you can see yourself moving forward with only Push as your main kit for Live input?
That's what I was hoping/planning on myself and still getting my head around..
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 am

Yes and no. I could mostly be satisfied but adding a nanoKontrol or APC40 would be preferable. That's for future plans though. For now I mainly plan on clip launching and playing parts on the Push but I'd like faders in the future for complex automations requiring control over more than two parameters at a time.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:50 am

SuburbanThug wrote:Yes and no. I could mostly be satisfied but adding a nanoKontrol or APC40 would be preferable. That's for future plans though. For now I mainly plan on clip launching and playing parts on the Push but I'd like faders in the future for complex automations requiring control over more than two parameters at a time.
Are you still using your keys or Push for input?
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:38 pm

I get a fairly full sequence going on Push first. Drums, chords, bass, melody. Then later on when I'm editing and defining the sound design I occasionally just use the key on my keyboard for adding or changing things.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 pm

I have an APC40 and Push side by side, and that is perfect for me. Having the faders and solo buttons right there is great, and I find myself being less confused by the clip-recording workflow when using the launcher on the APC

I also have an MPK49 that I use some of the time, when I'm looking for a more keyboard feel. I find the Push is much better for me when playing synthy stuff, but more traditional keyboard instruments (piano, organ, rhodes, etc.) can sound kind of off when I'm just using Push.