Push Latency

Discuss Push with other users.
kodaro

Push Latency

Post by kodaro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:12 pm

I recently got a Push and am enjoying the interface. I am pretty new to Ableton but have a decent number of years producing on Protools, working with Midi, etc.

My only issue right now is that the Push has waay to much latency for actually using it to record directly from or for playing live with. What I mean by this is that if I want to record direct from the device (for example a keyboard sound), the latency is so bad that everything ends up way behind where it should or where it is actually being played.

I am not sure I need to change some settings (aside from the obvious low latency selection in the pulldowns in Live).

I am using a brand new Dell Precision M4600 Laptop with a 256 GB SSD drive, 16 GB RAM, and a i7 Quad Core Extreme 2920XM processor, NVIDIA Quaddro 2000M (2GB Dedicated RAM), Windows 7 64 bit. I am assuming there should be no issues with the hardware side of things but haven't started researching that yet. I also have not connected an audio/midi recording device. Literally the only thing on this brand new machine (other than bloat ware from Dell) is Ableton Live 9 Suite and a variety of Packs.

Any thoughts would help.

Thanks.
Rob K.

greaterthanzero

Re: Push Latency

Post by greaterthanzero » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Your specs didn't mention what audio interface you're using. The built-in soundcard on a Windows machine is notoriously slow.

(if you try other MIDI controllers, you'll experience the same latency. it has nothing to do with Push)

ASIO drivers will help, if you're not using those.
http://www.asio4all.com/

A dedicated audio interface will help more.

I recommend searching the rest of the forum for latency suggestions, or perhaps asking again in a different area. Limiting yourself to the Push discussion is going to prevent experts who might be able to help (but don't own Push) from seeing your question.

kodaro

Post by kodaro » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:22 am

Thanks - I actually didn't hook up an audio interface yet. I have a Konnekt Live that I used a few years ago that I will try to hook up to see if it helps. If that doesn't work I may have to find another interface (Konnekt Live was pretty notorious for being hit or miss).

If I hook up an external audio interface should I still install the ASIO drivers or is that just for when you are using a Windows sound card?

Thanks again for your help.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 am

asio is the way to go amigo.

riccoslive

Push Latency in MAC OS 10.8.3

Post by riccoslive » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 am

Actually, I am experiencing the exact same issue on my MacBook Pro as kodaro: "Push has waaaay too much latency for actually using it to record directly from or for playing live with. What I mean by this is that if I want to record direct from the device (for example a keyboard sound), the latency is so bad that everything ends up way behind where it should or where it is actually being played."[/size]

It is rather frustrating. I know there are work arounds; I am an Akai aficionado for MANY Years-since the 80's. They have never had this type of latency issues in any of their products. I have adjusted the Latency Buffer settings to every possible option (As low a 14, 64 125, 256, 512, 1024, 2048). Obviously, it gets worse as it goes higher.

I have and used multiple interfaces (Apogee Duet2, AVID MBOX Pro 3, and Internal Sound card within MacBook Pro). All have the latest drivers installed.

Is there an update out or in the works?

Ableton 9.0.3
Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 am

PC....ASIO.....PC.....ASIO.........PC?...........Asio.

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:33 am

Optimization, on Windows. Interface is critical. Unless you have a Rain or an aftermarket card built in.
I use a Presonus AudioBox. Night and day difference in using it and not.
I have yet to receive my Push. Prolly be another decade before I do. But I went through hell getting my Maschine MK1 and MK2 to perform well on my el cheapo VAIO E Series. After system optimization and using the drivers that came with my interface, no problems whatsoever. Take the interface out of the equation and its a 50 50 deal.
Latencymon can help you find boogers in your system and help you get that piano to play some sweet tunes.
Google it.
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:31 pm

I get some pretty gnarly latency when doing things like switching from note mode to session view. What's up with that? I thought that switching from my old mac to my brand new, high-powered, mavericks would solve this. But..

Stromkraft

Re: Push Latency in MAC OS 10.8.3

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:24 am

Steve Glen wrote:I get some pretty gnarly latency when doing things like switching from note mode to session view. What's up with that? I thought that switching from my old mac to my brand new, high-powered, mavericks would solve this. But..
It seems communication to Live makes things slower. Loading sounds in reaktor from Push is slower for instance than in Live.
Make some music!

Greeny1321

Post by Greeny1321 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:07 am

The latency the OP is getting is clearly audio interface based latency and nothing to do with the push. As for things being sluggish when using push, get an SSD and bye bye waiting. I had an harddrive failure a couple of weeks ago and decided an SSD was the way to go, now browsing presets from the push is super fast, switching modes too :D

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:50 am

Greeny1321 wrote:decided an SSD was the way to go, now browsing presets from the push is super fast, switching modes too :D
Good to know, but actually not to be expected. I don't think the drive is the only reason for this development either. CPU load seems more likely.
Make some music!

Greeny1321

Post by Greeny1321 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Greeny1321 wrote:decided an SSD was the way to go, now browsing presets from the push is super fast, switching modes too :D
Good to know, but actually not to be expected. I don't think the drive is the only reason for this development either. CPU load seems more likely.
Pre SSD I was definately finding the push sluggish to use, not so bad that it put me off, but I was always aware of it, now I hit the button to load a preset etc and its done :D

Golden Dragon

Post by Golden Dragon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:42 pm

I had the same issue until I increased my buffer settings to 512. Hope this helps! :mrgreen: