User Mode note assignments. What am I doing wrong?

Discuss Push with other users.
karlfranz

User Mode note assignments. What am I doing wrong?

Post by karlfranz » Sat May 04, 2013 6:13 am

I'm using Live Suite 9.0.4b1

I'm having weird behavior on my Push where the pads stay in Major C "In Key" scale mode while in the User Mode. This means I am unable to play any "black keys" from the pads.

Here are the steps I'm doing. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
  • - In the preferences, I enabled the track switches for the input and output of the Push User Port.
    - I created an track in Session Mode and set the MIDI To and MIDI From to the Push User Port.
    - I put the Push in User Mode.
    - When I press the pads, I expect the I/O routing to cause the pad to light up, but instead, a pad different from the one pressed lights up.
    - I created an empty clip and recorded as I played all the pads.
    - I look at the piano roll and see what is happening: no matter which pad I pressed, only the white notes are getting recorded in the piano roll. WTH?
The pads are behaving as if I had the scale set to Major C "In Key" while in User Mode. The weird thing is that, since I have the MIDI Out routed back to the Push User Port to illuminate the pad, it is lighting the correct pad for the note, rather than the pad being pressed.

As an experiment, I created an 8-bar clip where each note plays for 1/8 up through every note from C1 to D#6. As expected, each pad lights up sequentially from left to right and from bottom to top starting with the bottom left corner and ending at the upper right.

I have tried going back into Push Mode, changing the Scale, In Key, Chromatic, Fixed, 4th, 3rd, Sequent settings, etc. When I go back to User Mode, it has no effect—the pads continue to play as if I had Major C "In Key" scale mode selected.

Even weirder, if I go into Live Mode and add a drum rack to the track, when I switch into User Mode, only the lower left 4x4 grid generates MIDI note events. If I look on the piano roll, I see that all the other pads don't cause the note to be highlighted. I didn't think what you had selected in Live mode should have any effect on what happens in User Mode. Is my Push broken, in need of a firmware update, or am I misunderstanding how this whole User Mode really works?

Help?

neuromodulator

Re: User Mode note assignments. What am I doing wrong?

Post by neuromodulator » Sat May 04, 2013 2:23 pm

I think it's a bug. There was a problem with the button_matrix not being grabbed/released properly, which I thought they had fixed, but it sounds like there are still some issues. Don't freak out, your Push is fine. Submit a bug report.