Use stepseq. with *any* device (VSTs, Impulse, Analog..)

Discuss Push with other users.
rud

Use stepseq. with *any* device (VSTs, Impulse, Analog..)

Post by rud » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Just a reminder..
This is not a new trick, but it seems many still ignore it, as I still hear many people complain about the fact only the Drum Racks can use Push's step-sequencer..
Some people used External Devices to trick the system..
But there's a much easier option:

In Live9,
- Create a Midi track
- Put any instrument you want on it, VST, Core-Ableton component, M4L instrument... whatever you want.
- Right click the device you just added, select "Group to Drum Rack"
- On the created Drum Rack, click "Show/Hide Chains" (to actually show them)
- Next, click "Show/Hide Input/Output Selection" (to show them)
- In the chain where you instrument sits, under the "Receive" column, click and scroll up, ways up, and select "All Notes"

Voila!
Your instrument inside the Drum Rack will receive midi messages for this channel on *all notes*, and since it's enclosed in a Drum Rack, it will work with Push's Step Sequ.

enveehaa

Re: Use stepseq. with *any* device (VSTs, Impulse, Analog..)

Post by enveehaa » Thu May 09, 2013 7:52 pm

"Ignore it"?
I never knew!
Thanks a lot! Great tip!:)
MacbookPro
OSX 10.8.3
Live 9.0.4 Suite
Push
PXT Live
YamahaHS50M monitors

rud

Post by rud » Fri May 10, 2013 2:20 am

There is one tiny Push bug I noticed (with 9.0.4):

Assume you're using the above technique to map let's say Massive to the step sequencer.
Assume you've already configured Massive 8 control knobs as parameters to live's VST holder (the thing in place of the VST instrument in the audio channel).
Assume you've also mapped these previous 8 parameters to the 8 macros of you're drum rack..

You're than supposed to control the 8 Massive control knobs via Push's 8 encoders right ?
Well, you should.
Right now the encoders sometimes do not update the value (but moving the macro knob with the mouse updates Push display!)
I found two fixes:
- First is to lock the Push device to the Drum Rack, than unlock it (because, you don't want it locked, right?) this makes Push encoders send the midi CC as they should (hmmm bug?)
- Second method, just switch track focus (ie: using the left / right arrows) from one track to another, when switching back, Push encoders should send the midi CC

Hope this helps

r.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri May 10, 2013 3:36 am

I thought about this workaround before PUSH was released, then I realized this is a shitty way to step sequence melodies.

However you could build a M4L device that used the 4x8 sequencer section for note on/off and define pitch, duration, octave, velocity etc with the knobs per step, like electrons p-locks.

rud

Post by rud » Fri May 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Altho, the built-in step-seq isn't *that* bad for editing drums, it indeed lacks "an easier access" to per-note velocity & length to make it more production effective when editing things like sequenced Synths.

At least, it works pretty well with Drum-Machines-like plugins, ie: Battery 3/4, Impulse...

But yeah, using the rotary encoders to edit note length and something like shift+encoders to edit note velocity would... rock.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri May 10, 2013 7:14 pm

I added patching to the MonoSequencer so the APC40 could control it p-lock style.

In reguards to the step.seq, just use a bunch of them set to "extra1"

There's another thread floating around somewhere with a nice mono sequencer patch.

mibolux

Post by mibolux » Sat May 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Nice trick, thanks, I can record in Seq mode, but Step mode does not work...
Resolved 8-)

sphiralstudios

Post by sphiralstudios » Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 am

I tried this with NI's Maschine, and while it would let me pick any sound in the group if I set the chain to that specific note, if I choose 'all notes' it just pitches one sound up or down for whichever key I press.

I tried creating multiple chains (thinking one chain for each sound in the group might work) but Live creates a separate instance of Maschine for each chain. Is there no way to have a single chain map the different keys/pads to the different sounds in a single instance of Maschine? This would be so awesome since there are often more sounds in a group than the sixteen pads on the Maschine hardware. Granted I haven't done much digging, this seemed like a simple and elegant solution.

Grateful for any help,

cheers

edit: pasting the individual Maschine samples into each of the drum rack cells is the obvious workaround I'm using, but this bypasses the Maschine VST capabilities, had been wanting to essentially control the Maschine device from Push to eliminate needing both pieces of hardware. I'm starting to think this is an ill-conceived intention (i.e. better to use both). From the copious amount of 'Maschine is better' posts, I'm only scratching the surface of its capabilities at the moment. I have some delving to do, methinks.

I also gather that this specific thread is really more intended for note-based sequencing as opposed to sample-based, so my bad if I'm in the wrong place for what I'm talking about - haven't been on the forum that long, still finding my way around :wink: